New Hop Yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrclasen

Reaction score
This is the Hop Yard that my Buddy and I planted just this past weekend in Southwest Minnesota. We planted 4 different varieties. 10 Cascade, 10 Centennial, 10 Chinhook and 10 Willamette. I can't wait to see how these turn out. Hopefully these turn out well and then we will plant a few more varieties.

Matt

548477_725302192365_1401897851_n.jpg

Looks great! How tall are the end posts and what did you use to anchor the rope in the ground.

Keep us posted on the growth.

The posts were originally 22 feet tall and we then put about four feet in the ground. Therefore, the cable is about 17-18 feet above the ground. We used a farely large metal fencing stakes on each end at an angel. Also, we used a 5/16th inch metal cable instead of rope. We are trying to make this hop yard last a lifetime. I will try and keep you posted on the growth. Unfortunately the ground was really wet when we planted.

I am from Minneapolis but we did this on my friends farm not to far from Marshall Minnesota.

very impressive, well done! looks like it will last a long time.

do you have 2 or 4 rows of poles/string? in other words, does each variety have its own row or are two varieties sharing a row?

We have two rows with two varieties sharing a row. We are hoping to find out what grows best in the soil here and then add rows that only have one variety of hops on them.

Back