Anyone entering the 2012 Boneyard Brew-Off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
After almost five years of brewing I thought it was time for my first competition. Since there is nothing close I entered the Boneyard Brew-Off. My bubble-wrapped packages are going out tomorrow.

Who else is competing and what did you enter?

My entries:

Pumpkin Ale (21A. Spice/Herb/Vegetable)

Chocolate Peppermint Sweet Stout (23. Specialty Beer)

American Amber Ale (10B. American Amber Ale)

Reno_eNVy said:
After almost five years of brewing I thought it was time for my first competition. Since there is nothing close I entered the Boneyard Brew-Off. My bubble-wrapped packages are going out tomorrow.

Who else is competing and what did you enter?

My entries:

Pumpkin Ale (21A. Spice/Herb/Vegetable)

I'm sending in my english style Honey Ginger IPA (21B)

And my Black ipa (23.)

You and me will duke it out.

Nice! Competition from someone else on the West Coast (i.e. the best coast :rockin:)

Using a purely objective approach, what would you judge your beers in the proper BJCP fashion?

Reno_eNVy said:
Nice! Competition from someone else on the West Coast (i.e. the best coast :rockin:)

Using a purely objective approach, what would you judge your beers in the proper BJCP fashion?

Well, this'll be my first competition. I'd say the honey ginger has typo much honey and kind of dominates a little bit. How much the judges well day I don't know. I'm not used to english ipa's I'm more of a west coast ipa's so I think it's terrible but I did have another home brewer try it and she said it had good mouth feel a all around good beer.

My black IPA I absolutely love. One big flaw I could be counted on is that it is a tad too roasty, however I think that the big hop bitterness balances out and leaves a nice finish. That black IPA is definitely a beer I will brew again.

I hope that is what you're asking for. What about you?

I had some brews sitting around, Cider, Cyser, and High Gravity category (fortified mead) and it's fairly close for shipping.

I had some brews sitting around, Cider, Cyser, and High Gravity category (fortified mead) and it's fairly close for shipping.

Oh nice. I opted out of the High Gravity category... I didn't know if I could enter the same brew in the regular and HG competitions.

And shipping wasn't that bad, surprisingly. $17 for almost 10lbs. Got some discounts for being AAA members and University of Nevada students.

That's some cheap shipping, I think with UPS it cost me $12 to get it there via ground, and it's only 3 hours away.

I read another thread on HBT from last year's, which I skipped, but it sounded like a Black IPA took the Best of Show, and they had some really good meads, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/did-anyone-attend-b-u-z-z-boneyard-brew-off-123160/ The thread started from two years ago, but some from last year I think.

Yeah I used UPS ground. Still amazed at the price... but it's nice that they give you a tracking number. I have a handy little parcel tracking app on my phone that gives me notifications when it hits certain check-points.

Also I mentioned it was glassware and asked if he could put a FRAGILE sticker on the box. Dude proceeded to put a sticker on every side, a couple of the sides getting two. So I'm feeling good about the safety of the bottles.

I wrapped each bottled individually in bubble-wrap, stuffed torn up Raley's paper bags in the bottom, laid down three bottles, stuffed in more torn up bag, put in the last three bottles (laying perpendicular to the bottom row), stuffed all of the sides with more bag and then packed bag into the top until the lid HAD to be tapped shut. Those suckers aren't moving at all...... I hope.....

I live on the other west coast - of florida (we use that term here too). Best, it is.

Nice :D

And dang, I thought I posted my reviews of the beers I entered. Here we go:

Pumpkin Ale (21A. Spice/Herb/Veggie)
- A stronger beer with just a touch of alcohol bite/warmth, spice presence is there but not dominant, body is medium, toasty/nuttiness is starting to fade but it's still there. It's a crystal clear orangey-gold, good head retention. I'm hoping for around a 40 on this one

- Stronger (still considerably moderate strength), medium-heavy body due to lactose and high temp mash, roastiness from dark malts is subdued, bitterness and flavor of chocolate is there but not prominent. Peppermint is not like smelling a candy cane but a hint of it at the end of the drink. Low carbonation. Not my best but still is quality. I'm hoping to be in the 30's.

- Creative name, right? Nice sweet malt backbone from crystal, nice refreshing hop bitterness, explosion of hop aroma and a bold hop flavor from late boil additions. Higher carbonation but not so much so add a bite. I'm hoping for some good scores on this one but I'm not really sure.

Yeah I wrapped my stuff super heavy since I just got a call from my parents, who I had bought some wine for and sent via Fed Ex. They were wrapped in bubble wrap that toner comes in, more bubble wrap, newspaper and little air packs. 2 out of 3 bottles were broken and the box it was shipped in was completely smashed with a plastic bag around it because the wine was dripping out of it. F U FedEx, I did file a claim with them, we'll see.

I always end up second guessing myself when they ask for the ingredients or style, for example on my cider I had used robust molasses and put it on oak for a while, but it never really got any major oak or mollasses character to it, so should I have just not mentioned it? I've never judged so maybe my taste buds just aren't good enough to pick up on the little things.

I've never done better than a 3rd place, so it would be cool to make a top two, but I don't want to jinx myself. I'm really fond of my fortified cyser and I hope it at least scores well, fortified with brandy and spiced a little with cinnamon and cloves and some oak aging.

Less than two days away! I can't wait to get the results of my first competition.

Now time to initiate the obligatory trash-talk:

*Ahem* You brew like your mother...... unless your mother is an excellent homebrewer, in which case you brew nothing like her.

Yup, I went there....

I sent in a Vienna Lager and a Bock. My first two lagers and they tasted delicious. Sadly, the Vienna is no longer with us. I'm interested to see how the judges rank the first two lagers I've ever made.

Less than two days away! I can't wait to get the results of my first competition.

Now time to initiate the obligatory trash-talk:

*Ahem* You brew like your mother...... unless your mother is an excellent homebrewer, in which case you brew nothing like her.

Yup, I went there....

May the judges use your swill to cleanse their pallette between tastings! (More likely if you've got something in the American Light Lager category I guess)

Good luck to everybody, hopefully the judges will be fair and knowledgeable and give good information on the score sheets. If anyone gets results keep us updated.

Still no results on the website or the forum.

If anybody is at the after party (drunk I'm sure) and happens to check this thread could you post the results? Thanks!

Anybody found results posted yet? I sent in an American Blonde Ale (6B). I don't expect that it won anything but I'm curious about how they scored it.

I don't believe they're up yet, but at the same time it's only been 48 hours. I'd say give them a week before we start bugging the organizers. They're volunteers with day jobs just like the rest of us. That being said, I'd still like to see if my Bock and Vienna were as good as I thought they were.

I don't believe they're up yet, but at the same time it's only been 48 hours. I'd say give them a week before we start bugging the organizers. They're volunteers with day jobs just like the rest of us.

This is true. I joined their forum in the hopes to ask where/when the results will be posted.... but I'll wait :D

I entered a Robust Porter that scored a 38.5 in an earlier contest this year. It advanced to a mini - BOS, but did not place. So I am trying my luck again.

I entered 3 this year too... A porter, IPA, and Oktoberfest.

I made a Espresso Cream Stout that just didnt finish in time. That was one that I really wanted to submit.

Nope none of my categories. You're safe from my verbal abuse.... for now...

UPDATE:

via the BUZZ forum
We scanned the score sheets last night and you should be receiving those electronically in PDF format very soon. Awards will be mailed out very soon too. Results should be posted real soon too.

Hophead75 said:
Great news, thanks for the update. Guess my only thought is, which is quicker, very soon or real soon?

Hmmm tough call. I would have preferred "post haste" :D

Winners have been posted on the BUZZ forum. Sadly I didn't win anything :(

OH WELL! Hopefully I'll get my scoresheets soon!

My lagers picked up a 1st and a 2nd!

Winners have been posted on the BUZZ forum. Sadly I didn't win anything :(

OH WELL! Hopefully I'll get my scoresheets soon!

Don't be discouraged! The scoresheets are really the reason to enter these competitions. The judges should offer advice on how to improve your beer. I find it really valuable as I can't get that same level of advice or review from my friends and fiance.'[

My lagers picked up a 1st and a 2nd!

Don't be discouraged! The scoresheets are really the reason to enter these competitions. The judges should offer advice on how to improve your beer. I find it really valuable as I can't get that same level of advice or review from my friends and fiance.'[

If thats the case, how high of a score renders a 1st , 2nd, or 3rd? Or does the score have little to do with assigning a ribbon. I think ribbons are assigned more on the basis "That beer taste more appealing to me (the judge)." For example, if a beer scores a 41 vs 39 in the same cat. and the judges decide that the 39 is just a more appealing beer to them do they assign the 39 with a ribbon?

Bruwsomtin said:
If thats the case, how high of a score renders a 1st , 2nd, or 3rd? Or does the score have little to do with assigning a ribbon. I think ribbons are assigned more on the basis "That beer taste more appealing to me (the judge)." For example, if a beer scores a 41 vs 39 in the same cat. and the judges decide that the 39 is just a more appealing beer to them do they assign the 39 with a ribbon?

I think it's based on score, better beer = better score?

Finally broke my trend of never finishing better than third, got a 3rd and 1st. Looking forward to scoresheets and to see the number of entries in my categories.

Back