cold brew coffee sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalaci6

Reaction score
I am doing an clone of Founder's KBS. I brewed yesterday and my wort is chugging away in the primary right now. To the secondary I am supposed to add 1 cup of cold brew coffee and oak chips soaked in one cup of Kentucky bourbon. Then rack the beer on top of that. My question: Will the Bourbon sanitize the coffee or will I have to find another way to sanitize it? thanks

I believe that between the bourbon and the ambient alcohol in the beer itself, you should be fine. If you're really paranoid, you could cold brew the coffee and then boil it before adding it to the batch. I believe the benefits of cold brewing come from not boiling the beans/grounds; thus, you should be OK boiling the resulting brew. That said, I wouldn't bother anyway. You'll be fine :mug:.

I would not bother boiling the coffee extract, you will lose so much of the cofee flavour. No need to worry about sanitizing the cold brew, just the containers.

thanks so much. I will let you know how it turns out. If you can't get kbs you might as well try to make it.

Back