Firestone Walker Oaktoberfest Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone have a clone or similar recipe for Firestone Walker's Oaktoberfest? This will be my first attempt at a lager. I just finished a fermentation chamber so I should be able to maintain the temps needed. I'm looking to do a 5 gallon partial mash on this one. Thanks in advance!

Website has some good info: "Oaktoberfest is a true German Märzen bier, brewed with premium imported Pilsner and Vienna malts. It’s spiced with Bavarian hops from the motherland, and fermented with the famous Bavarian Augustiner Lager yeast from Munich. We utilized German Hallertauer traditions for both bittering and aroma additions, adding a rich, noble hop presence to this beer."

Haven't had it, but I can guess

50% German Pils (you can use pils extract instead)
50% German Vienna

Mash @ ~154 for 60 min

90 min boil

20 IBUs of Hallertau Tradition @ 60 min
5 IBUs of Hallertau Tradition @ 10 min

Not sure where you can get that yeast strain, it doesn't seem to be commercially available, so pick another malty German lager strain (I've had good luck with WLP833 bock). Make a starter and pitch after the beer is chilled down to your fermentation temperature.

I assume from the name that some of the beer goes through their union barrel system? If so a small amount of oak ~.25 oz would be a good addition while it lagers for a couple months.

Not saying you’ll nail it on the first brew, but it should get you close enough.

Edit: Fixed the # of the yeast

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't have much experience yet in putting together my own recipes, but it will be fun to see what I can come up with and compare it to what I remember. I've never seen it available in stores, I just made a stop at the brewery on the way home from a trip and loved that beer! I was thinking of adding the oak since the name hints to that...and thanks for the yeast recommendation, I'm clueless on the lager yeast varieties. I think I'll plug what you have recommended into beersmith and go from there.

Edit: Sorry I have just seen that this was an old thread. I didn`t mean to dig it up.

Hi,
I haven`t had this beer (since I live in Germany and US beer is hard to get here), but I brewed an Oktoberfest beer (Maerzen) in September using the following recepie:

Gravity: ca. 1046 (12% Plato)
Batch size: 5.28 gallon (20 l)

Grain bill:
5.51 lb (2500 g) Pilsner malt
4.40 lb (2000 g) Vienna malt

Yeast: Safalager S-23

Water:
4.22 gallon (16 l) mashing
3.96 gallon (15 l) für Nachguss

Hop:
1.34 oz (38 g) Hallertauer Tradition (7.1 % Alpha) at 90 min.
0.67 oz (19 g) Hallertauer Tradition (7.1 % Alpha) at 15 min.

Mash at 95°F (35°C)
Rest at 131°F (55°C): 15 minutes
Rest at 147°F (64°C): 35 minutes
Rest at 161°F (72°C): 20 minutes
Rest at 172°F (78°C): 20 minutes
Sparge at 172°F (78°C)
Cooking time 90 minutes

The beer itself turned out slightly red (I don`t know why) but tasted really nice.
I hope this helps.

Cheers
Martin

Back