Foam after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison2003

Reaction score
Hey the bubling pretty much stopped and i have this foam on top and when i bottle it do i just keep it or do i try to remove it?

What kind of foam do you mean? After the krausen has fallen, it shouldn't have any foam on top. Maybe a few bubbles or yeasty bits floating around, but I've never seen actual foam on top after fermentation.

Can you take a picture?

ill take a picture it almost doesnt bubble but still has a pretty thin layer of foam on top

Just a quick thing to check also is if the airlock/blowoff tube is clogged. That would make it stop bubbling and still have krausen on top.

wop31 said:
Just a quick thing to check also is if the airlock/blowoff tube is clogged. That would make it stop bubbling and still have krausen on top.

it bubbles but reallow slow and i dont think its clogged

I just racked to secondary after 10 days... The krausen had not fallen.. Is this ok?

dhaas66 said:
I just racked to secondary after 10 days... The krausen had not fallen.. Is this ok?

DId you take any gravity readings? That should be your indicator of when to rack into the secondary or bottles.

Cheers

Have you taken a gravity reading? I would make sure that fermentation is actually done before bottling.

You didn't say when you pitched your yeast, but I would wait at least two weeks before bottling anything at all.

An s.g. reading is crucial if you're in a hurry to bottle. Use a sanitized turkey baster and pull out your sample into the hydrometer jar. OG and fg will tell you if you're really ready to bottle. If the krausen just now went down, you'll have bottle bombs if you bottle.

i pitched it on Wednesday night
in the recipe it said 3-7 days i think its called continental something

The biggest thing I've found you need to learn with brewing is patience. I think it takes at least 6weeks before beer is really good to drink after brewing. The common suggestion is 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle. If you don't secondary then 2-3 weeks primary and 3-4 weeks in the bottle works.
You are currently way to early to bottle. After a week it is probably safe to bottle but your beer will taste much better if you give it more time.
Craig

I'd suggest a little reading while you wait for your beer to finish! My online favorite is howtobrew.com and he explains all the terms and when to rack, etc. Also the wiki (it's above on the logo, says "home brewing wiki") is helpful, too. I never even touch my beer until at least 7 or 10 days have gone by since the time I've pitched my yeast.

I'm bottling a batch tomorrow that I brewed on 3/20. Beer can be made quicker, but if you want a good beer (and no chance of bottle bombs!) patience is a virtue.

Back