How many can you handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone feel like a light-weight when drinking your homebrew? Not that I pride myself on tossing 'em back, but usually many, many skunkwaters can be tossed back at friends houses or rounds at the bar and I'm still good to go. When I drink my homebrew, after about 4 or 5 of 'em, I find myself saying "self, I don't feel the same after 4 or 5 skunkwaters". Then I feel like a light-weight. Help me out here.

Loop

depends on your bottle size and recipe. For the staple beer in my house, I brew up a simple brown ale that rings in at something close to 3% ABV (maybe lower). That's a pretty pretty 'weak' beer by most standards, but very flavorful and I don't feel bad about having a couple pints every evening. (In fact, I don't even feel the alcohol at all.)

I do also brew some heavy handed stuff from time to time, and I can't consume more than a couple of those in an evening before I start to feel sloppy between the ears.

I have a feeling that my stout is going to last a long time, because it's going to be a belly burner and a brain thickener. I plan to bottle that one COMPLETELY in 12oz bottles. Anything larger would be irresponsible. :D

-walker

I bottle in 40's. One of them relaxes me just fine. If I have two, I'm really relaxed. More than that, and the world starts to tilt and spin. Miller doesn't do that.

Dunno yet, I bottled the first batch today.
I aim to do "a staple" that can be drank in quantity (4+) Then a few for drinking in ones and two's.

That's the theory anyway.

Well, there seems to be a direct relationship between throwing darts and the number of pints I've had.

Two pints before I can group in 3", At 3 - 4 pints, I can drill those twentys and bulls, at 5, I start getting sloppy again, and at 6 forget it, I need sleep. :drunk:

I bottle 0,5 liters.

Most of the time I limit myself to 2, sometimes 3. Depends on my mood, which day of the week it is, and if it's a party. :D

Sometimes after work and a full dinner 1 will put me in my place, but then again mine are usually above the 5% mark... :drunk:

My homebrew buddy put away 10 - 12oz. the other day, and he was pretty down and out the next day at work.

I ussually enjoy a good 16 oz, or a 22 oz, right after work. If it's been a hard night at work - I do the same, but times 2. :drunk:

The homebrew is definately a wee bit more intoxicating - but I always feel good during and afterwards the next morning. Not so after a night at the public house. :mad:

I'd say it's the difference between 12 oz bottles at 4-4.5 ABV and pints at 6-8 ABV. A six-pack of Curs is about 3 1/4 oz of alcohol. Three pints of my Black Hole stout at 7.5 ABV is 3.6 oz.

One of the times one of my friends was on leave fom the Navy, were having a marathon(not the running kind). He doesnt like beer and I dont like his shooters, so I stuck to the skunk pee and he had his shots. That left me with a half case of Reibenbach and a full case of Pabst to myself and in about 90min I had it down. 30 minutes after that I was out and the following morning was rough. Another time he had a keg(like the 15 gallon size) of Bud Light and I must have had six 16oz cups and felt nauseated more than anything. I'm bringing some Steel Reserve to his parties next time. :cross:

I drink mostly microbrews outside of my own and can only take 4-6 if its around 7-9% before I'm face down snoring.

I like reusing those 32oz Tecate bottles....they'll be great for an imperial stout :D.

I bottle mine in half litre and pints and I think my record may be 6 but I wasnt fresh the next day.

How do you guys drink your beer if you use 32 oz bottles? I assume you pour them into a nother glass to drink to keep the yeast down? Just use a HUGE mug?
Ohh now that I think of it, I do have a huge monster mug at home. :)

Tecate has a non twist off 32 oz ?
any of there beers have one?

i always pour my beer into a glass... even if I am at a bar and order a bottle of bass or something. I always request a pint glass with it.

with the 32 oz flippies, I pour a pint, close it, and put it back into the fridge. I come back for the rest later if my wife hasn't already taken it.

-walker

xpoc454 said:
How do you guys drink your beer if you use 32 oz bottles? I assume you pour them into a nother glass to drink to keep the yeast down? Just use a HUGE mug?
Ohh now that I think of it, I do have a huge monster mug at home. :)

Tecate has a non twist off 32 oz ?
any of there beers have one?

Sure Tecate has a non twist bottle. Its in the beer section of the Vons and Rallphs stores around here next to the Carta Blanca, which coincidentally has the same 32oz bottle. Keeping the yeast down is hard even with careful pouring. I like the 32s, but I dont use very many, maybe two to four a per 5 gallons. You have to be committed when you open one.

Back