tools for cutting stainless steel enclosure for Control Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
building my control box and obtained a Rittel Stainless Steel Enclosure, not sure what gauge it is, but I'd guess 18 gauge or 16 gauge. Anyway, i need to cut out spots for outlet, switches, PID Controllers, etc and was wondering what tools might do the job best.

I have an angle grinder and was thinking that it might work fine for the outlet cutout and the PID cutouts. I could probably just use a drill or step bit for the switches.

Thoughts?

I'm always open to buying fun new tools.

cheers

jeff

building my control box and obtained a Rittel Stainless Steel Enclosure, not sure what gauge it is, but I'd guess 18 gauge or 16 gauge. Anyway, i need to cut out spots for outlet, switches, PID Controllers, etc and was wondering what tools might do the job best.

I have an angle grinder and was thinking that it might work fine for the outlet cutout and the PID cutouts. I could probably just use a drill or step bit for the switches.

Thoughts?

I'm always open to buying fun new tools.

cheers

jeff

A Nibbler would be very handy. (http://www.improvementdirect.com/index.cfm?page=search:browse&categoryID=58173)

A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel will make getting the small holes square, and will be very useful getting the corners square in the big holes.

Yep, get a dremel tool. Make sure to buy plenty of extra cut off wheels if the steel is 16 or 18. They go quick.

The new, thicker, "quick release" cutoff wheels are GREAT. They cost more, but are a breeze to change out. No more messing with that tiny screw that gets lost.

yeah thanks for all the replies. i'll go for the dremel, versus the $500 nibblers. The dremel will be great for every day applications as well. appreciate your help.

anyone make router bits that can handle stainless?

Mmmmaybe with a deburring bit.

Regular router bits, even those made for plastics and aluminum, wont stand it. They have a way too high rake angle to work properly and survive. I remember seeing one company claiming they had a router bit for stainless but that was for CNC router and I have serious doubts on the durability. See SS = slow RPM and pressure. Fail to that and you get heat. Heat + SS = harden SS.

With deburring bits, you still have to go easy. At least, you can use them on hand control (read non CNC) power tool. I never tried it in a hand held router but it work like a charm in a die grinder. I'm thinking that the control would be "improved" in a router for flat surface... I recommend to use the lowest RPM setting.

anyone make router bits that can handle stainless?

Yah they are called end mills and you can get 'em from OSG & others.

However, the hand held router can't make much of a cut in any metal. It'll jump around an awful lot and it is hell on the bearings. I'd rather use a jeweler's piercing saw or a dremel with a cut off wheel.

Yeah, I don't think I would want to try routing SS with my Bosch.

Metal cutting wheel on the grinder to get close, then dremel to finish. +1 on the dremel quick change wheels, get the kit at Lowes, they are awesome.

Back