Batch Sparging question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Ok, I have just gone from extraxt/partial grain. to all grain. I just made a 10 gallon Igloo sparging vessel, and just cut the top off of a sanke keg, and ordered the ball valve and sight glass.
I want to know if I order an all grain kit, will I need to order extra grain because of the lower extraction rate? Or is the % not that much off? I am confused about this part. Or is there a certain way I order when Batch Sparging?

JJ

Generally they sell all-grain kits based on 70% or 75% I believe, regardless whether you batch or fly sparge. If you think you'll do worse than that just order an extra pound or two of base grain to adjust for efficiency difference. Invest in Beersmith and it'll make your job MUCH easier adjusting for efficiency.

Ok I'll try and give you the skinny, sounds like you have a sound approach laid out. Don't think I would start ordering extra grain just yet...try a batch and check gravity to see what kind of extraction you are running...kind of a bit of trial and error.

No worries really, if you want you can check a preboil gravity and just perhaps boil longer if you are low. Even a missed gravity beer will still be tasty, so don't fret if trouble arises.

before long w/ a little experience you will be grinding your own. Go ahead and get your feet wet and report back.

Mike

I have Beersmith as of a few days ago. I am still figuring it out. As far as I have figured out, you can build a recipe by taking a "sample recipe" and crafting one with similar gravities, and IBU, and so forth, then have fun brewing it. It sounds like it is going to be a fun ride. I have a kit with about 7 pounds of grain, and 6 pounds of extract. Is that too little of a grain bill to do a batch sparge, It is the Torpedo clone from AHB. It seems like a small amount, but is it worth even trying in the igloo?

With batch sparging, the size of the grain bill vs mash tun size is immaterial, because you re-mix the grain before draining. The depth of the grain bed does not matter.

FWIW, Ijust did my first AG this past Sunday, and jsut like yourself I went straight from extract/specialty grain to AG. I have a 13 gallon Coleman Xtreme mash tun and a 15 gallon kettle. I was concerned about my efficiency just as you are, however, I figured I would just make a simple recipe and see where my numbers were and go from there. To my surprise I ended up with almost 81% efficiency on my first AG brewday! Needless to say, I was excited and pleasantly surprised! At any rate, don't overthink it (that's what I did). Just go into it with a plan, do your best and I think you will be amazed at how simple it can be and more than likely ask yourself just like I did, "why didn't I start with AG?".

If you're interested, here is a thread I started last week about it https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/ag-135456/, it lists my recipe, I didn't have a chance to take photos as my main concern was getting through my first AG brewday successfully.

Good Luck!:mug:

I've got five AG's under my belt, and my advice is to not get too bogged down in the numbers. I got 80% on my first batch (I'm drinking some now, an APA), then I got sh*tty efficiency on two of the subsequent batches. Just concentrate on hitting your temps., and most importantly, try to enjoy the process. Work on your eff. as your process becomes smoother!:mug:

Latest posts

Back