blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmgd70

Reaction score
if i were to make a blow off tube using my 3 piece airlock (the cheap plastic one that comes with kit) and tubing, does anyone know what size of tubing that would fit onto the inside of my airlock? of course the tubing's diameter that came with my kit was not large enough. just thought i would ask so i dont have to measure. i'm lazy, plus i dont want to risk contamination with a tape measurer and all that stuff.

3 ft. of 5/16" vinyl tubing, I believe. Allow the experts to chime in before acting on my advice, however :D

If you only have smaller tubing it can be inserted into the stem of the airlock.

5/16 is what came with the kit. and after much forcing and frustation i couldnt get it in the stem, so i'm guessing 7/16 or 1/2 will fit over the stem.

I just had to make a blow off tube yesterday and I bought 1/2" ID hose. It fit perfect on my 3 piece airlock.

Just take your airlock with you to the hardware store and try out a couple until you get the right fit. That's what I did.

But FYI, 1/2" ID tubing is what fit over the stem on my airlock.

I stuffed 3/8" tubing, or whatever fits the autosiphon, into the center tube of a 3-pc airlock. It also stuffed into the bung. It's hard to get 'er in there, but here's evidence it IS possible...

Using airlock...

1_6_09a.jpg

Directly into bung...

1_6_09b.jpg

I had a blowout, as near as I can tell it was due to a clogged 'X' at the bottom of the airlock's center tube (hence the reason the airlock disappears in photo 2). I've since made it a habit to cut those suckers off since they serve no purpose anyway.

While on the subject, would 7/16 or 1/2 work for a blowoff on a carboy cap? I have not ordered the carboy cap and would like to get some tubing at the same time. Thanks.

While on the subject, would 7/16 or 1/2 work for a blowoff on a carboy cap? I have not ordered the carboy cap and would like to get some tubing at the same time. Thanks.

IMHO, the carboy caps suck. They don't fit tight enough and krausen will be able to leak out from beneath the cap. Stick with the plugs.

IMHO, the carboy caps suck. They don't fit tight enough and krausen will be able to leak out from beneath the cap. Stick with the plugs.

I will keep that in mind. I had an issue with pushing the plug into the carboy, but found a post here with a link to a video to quickly get it out. Other than that I have had no problems, maybe I'll just stick with the plugs.

You know I just received my first carboy cap the other day, and I must say I was not impressed. The fit was not good. Loose and the cap itself seems flimsy. This is my first impression, I haven't used it yet. I am not sure if I will or not.

I had 5.5 gal of cooper stout i put in primary friday night. I used a carboy cap and a "S" type air lock, after a fitfull night of tossing and turning, dreaming of exploding carboys and wort covered bathroom walls (i covered the window in the 1/2 bath with tin foil and news paper to block out the sunlight). At about 8:00 AM i rolled out of bed to check on the stout to find it squirting out of the S-lock and out from around the bottom of the carboy cap(thank god it was or SWMBO would of went OFF!) those things suck IMHO

Whats the point of putting the middle piece of an airlock in?

Just cut out the middle man and shove the tube straight in the bunghole. (ahhh yes, the bunghole). When my airlock was exploding the wet (from sanitizer) tubing was not really that hard to get into the wet bung.

Whats the point of putting the middle piece of an airlock in?

Just cut out the middle man and shove the tube straight in the bunghole. (ahhh yes, the bunghole). When my airlock was exploding the wet (from sanitizer) tubing was not really that hard to get into the wet bung.

I did just that. My 5/16ths tubing was a bit too big for the #10 plug so I cut it at an angle and dipped it in the sanitizer and it went in no problem.

1" tubing will fit tightly into the neck of the carboy . I use this with a jug 1/2 full of star-san , it will not clog , using the airlock with a piece of tubing over the stem is no better at not clogging than the airlock itself .

AB.jpg

1" tubing will fit tightly into the neck of the carboy . I use this with a jug 1/2 full of star-san , it will not clog , using the airlock with a piece of tubing over the stem is no better at not clogging than the airlock itself .

AB.jpg

I have a glass carboy which takes a #7 stopper and 1'' tubing doesnt fit.. What size stopper are you using in your carboy?

Back