Nottingham yeast (a bit hot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
So I brew up some of BierMuncher Centennial Blonde pitched my Nottingham yeast and about 36 hours later it is going NUTS. I check the temp and it is up to, 74 (the one in secondary next to it was 68). So I gotta get to work and I don't have time for a swamp cooler, but I do hit it with a fan. By the time I get home 8-9 hours later the thermo is reading 70 and nothing is going on. Just a bit cloudy, but when I left it was going CRAZY. Anyway, what can I expect from 74 deg? Banana smell maybe? Anything in the taste? I hope it is subtle. I'm not that worried I'm sure it will still be fine, but just wondering if anyone has ever done this with Nottingham. I'll be moving 5 gallons of it to a keg this weekend and the other 5 to secondary while I drink the first five.

I don't think it will be bad, but it'll probably be noticeable (especially in such a light tasting brew).

I've had high temps with notty before, and no complaints from the drinkers.

Man, I can't imagine how active Nottingham must be at those temperatures. I've got some Centennial Blonde in a swamp cooler at 62-63F and the airlock's been bubbling nonstop--like a percolator, no pause between bubbles--for over three days. At 70+ it'd probably have blown the lid off.

Man, I can't imagine how active Nottingham must be at those temperatures. I've got some Centennial Blonde in a swamp cooler at 62-63F and the airlock's been bubbling nonstop--like a percolator, no pause between bubbles--for over three days. At 70+ it'd probably have blown the lid off.

Yea it was the most violent fermentation I have ever witnessed. I usually don't notice that large of an increase from ambient temps, but I did this time. i should have started it in a swamp cooler, but it is such a pain in the you know what.

notty is a pretty clean yeast in general, even at those temps. you'l definitely notice a bit of unpleasant fruitiness, but it will probably still be a very drinkable beer.

i love notty :)

My last batch with Nottingham yeast got up to 72F during fermentation, but I quickly remedied that. When I racked to the secondary there was a slight cidery taste, but 3 weeks later when bottling it tasted fine, no off flavors. I guess the yeast did a good job cleaning up after itself.

I've had at least two batches made with Notty go up to about 74 and I didn't have a problem. One came out with just a hint of banana on the nose, but that went away quickly. I don't think the other did. These were heavier beers, though.

Back