Grrr.... Broke my Carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistingking

Reaction score
:mad:I just broke my Carboy! I thought it would be easy and convenient to sterilize my glass 6 gal carboy in my over like my bottles, well I set it at 150 to warm up nice and slow and next thing I know i here a thunk I looked inside the oven and the bottom of my carboy is broken out and cracks ran all the way to the top. I am so upset! Where is a good place to order supplies on-line or a decent replacement idea?

better bottle and star san. An easier combo to work with is tough to find.

+1 I use about a quart of starsan solution and a number 10 stopper. I turn it on it's side and rotate till the entire inside surface is covered, then I pour the starsan back into my sanitizing bucket. The Better Bottle is then turned upside down in a plastic cup to drain.

Total time to sanitize? Less than 2 minutes.

Last year I would have said glass again, but with the increase in carboy costs over the year, I would and have also gone to buying better bottles. Well, at least 6 gallon ones as I have found a pile of used 5 gal ones through here and CL. I've also found that the better bottles slide very easy on the carpet which makes moving them by sliding a whole lot easier than carrying when doing stuff like wine that will sit for months.

+1 on starsan- Hope there was no blood spilled (and glad there was no innocent beer involved)!

I use onestep for all my sanitizing needs... just scrub, rinse, sanitize and then I cover the neck with saran wrap before I store and that way the next time I need it, its sanitized.

OP, i feel your pain. I noticed over the last couple of days my 5 gal of smash in the secondary was looking a little low, yup, crack in the carboy! My home brewing adventures have been a disaster lately! Oh well, i think i will try a couple of these plastic ones and see how they work.

Back