2 row - Briess or Malteurop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincydave

Reaction score
Getting ready to try BIAB. Have done only extract kits to date. After trying a batch or two, want to look into buying ingredients in bulk. My options for a 50 pound sack at LHBS’s for 2 row are Malteurop or Breiss. Both within a couple bucks on price. Does anyone who has used both have an opinion on one over the other? Will be doing mostly pale ales, IPAs, amber ales, and things along those lines.
Thanks!

Breiss 2-row is a little sweeter than most 2-row imo. Ive used Rahr (domestic) and much prefer that, Great Western (domestic), or Crisp (English) to Breiss. Breiss is a fine malt and can be used to make most american ale styles with perfectly acceptable results. Either will work for what you are saying you want to brew most.

Edit: Just looked into Malteurop and I would def go that route provided price point difference isn't huge.

Malteurop
I am not a fan of Breiss base malt. I have had much better luck with Rahr.

Out of those malteurop. I hear less then stellar things about Briess but I have used malteurop and it worked for me and the beers turned out great.

my sbsc sells malteurop 2 row pale for .50 less than breiss, they say its grown in the usa, so I think!
I'm going to get 10 lbs tomarrow at 1.00 per pound should have an idea by next week if it's satisfactory!

Better yet, for you're first two batches do the same recipe except switch the base grain and see which one you prefer. More work but experimenting is how to really learn. Decide which you like and then buy the 50# sack.

my sbsc sells malteurop 2 row pale for .50 less than breiss, they say its grown in the usa, so I think!
I'm going to get 10 lbs tomarrow at 1.00 per pound should have an idea by next week if it's satisfactory!

Montana

Malteurop is a multinational conglomerate based in France. They have malting plants and offices through the US, Canada and Europe.

Briess is a family owned malting company based in Chilton, WI.

That may explain the difference in price.

The best way to compare the two malts is to know the variety of barley used, the specifics of the malting process used and the weather conditions the barley was grown under. Sometimes a malt analysis sheet will contain this information, other times you simply have to call the maltster and ask.

Variety of Barley - affects the plumpness of the kernel, the protein content, and other malting conditions like sprout time etc...
Weather Conditions - obviously drought or wetter than normal conditions will adversely affect the barley (not as many plump kernels or more mold/fungus)
Malting process - generally well controlled by batch to account for variances in the kernels

Statements of the type, 'I like this malt or that malt better than the other malt' are just blanket statements with no real basis. You may have gotten lucky and received a batch of plumper than normal kernels from one malster where the other maltster for that particular batch was using barley grown during a drought which may have just passed their standards.

Then there's the political end of things, do you really want to support Ultra-Mega Corp? Or do you want to give your money to a family owned business. The choice is yours.

That huge "Ultra Mega Corp", which Malteurop is not one of, has that many more people that work for it that your dollars are going to help. So if you are going to pick one based on something like that, then it should be Malteurop.

Awe, you got banned! To bad, so sad, buh bye.

As far as the debate, I have used both. While Briess is very available to me I do find I prefer Malteurop. Well on most things, there are items I like much more from Briess. I would imagine like most things, it depends on so many inputs. I would guess that given the exact same crop to both companies you would get the very same product out. Tastes may be different, but they are both high quality products.

That huge "Ultra Mega Corp", which Malteurop is not one of, has that many more people that work for it that your dollars are going to help. So if you are going to pick one based on something like that, then it should be Malteurop.

for sure! Ill buy from whatever one isnt in cahoots with Monsanto, Monsanto is a company that uses gmo seed,

Back