BB IPA extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauer

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am getting ready to brew my third batch and I decided to go with a brewers best IPA. I have been reading on here lately it is best to save some of the malt extracts until the end of the boil and I was just curious how much I should put in at the beginning and how much at the end? The malt extracts in this kit are:
6.6 lb muntons light LME
1.0 lb Briess CBW golden light DME

Any advice on when to add the extracts or just on this kit in general would be greatly appreciated. My last batch was a BB Irish stout and although it is still bottle conditioning the sample I had while bottling was delicious but I am more than willing to refine my techniques. Thanks in advance for the help.

Blake

I think adding about a third of the malt extract at the beginning and the remainder at flameout has improved my beers. But for your kit, I'd do it easy, and add the Briess at the beginning and the muntons at flameout.

Excellent. Thank you very much for the advice. I will give that a try.

I think adding about a third of the malt extract at the beginning and the remainder at flameout has improved my beers. But for your kit, I'd do it easy, and add the Briess at the beginning and the muntons at flameout.

Agreed. Do the DME at the beginning (just make sure the flame's off when you add it) and add the LME at the end of the boil and let it steep hot for ten mins before cooling.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'm very excited to brew this Thursday. I've been getting really into IPAs recently so I can't wait to make my own.

Back