Huge Road Trip: Where should I stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 108580

Reaction score
So I'm headed on a pretty big Roadtrip in a few months for a family reunion. Wondering where I should stop or what I should try to find along the way?

Here's a picture of the route we're probably gonna take:

ForumRunner_20121123_120051.png

I can't stray off of the path too far. I don't really need to stop at the breweries themselves, just want to know what's good and what I should hunt for.

I'm mostly interested in cellarable beers.

Thanks!

But seriously, try to book a tour of the Anchor Brewery in San Francisco. I understand you have to book pretty far in advance. There's dozens of good brew pubs all over the Bay Area.

And I recall the Budweiser brewery in Fairfield is right next to Interstate 80 if I remember correctly.

RobertRGeorge said:
But seriously, try to book a tour of the Anchor Brewery in San Francisco. I understand you have to book pretty far in advance. There's dozens of good brew pubs all over the Bay Area.

And I recall the Budweiser brewery in Fairfield is right next to Interstate 80 if I remember correctly.

I probably should have clarified. I live in the bay area. The trip will be starting from there. I'm more interested in the other areas on the map as I want to focus on the beers that are not available in my area.

Looks like you will be close to Russian River in Santa Rosa, Lagunitas in Petaluma, Bear Republic in Healdsburg, and do try to get in on a tour of Anchor but make reservations fdor that ASAP.

i love beer but you need to hunt ducks in arkansas or north mississippi.

Beerbeque said:
Looks like you will be close to Russian River in Santa Rosa, Lagunitas in Petaluma, Bear Republic in Healdsburg, and do try to get in on a tour of Anchor but make reservations fdor that ASAP.

I live in Petaluma.

I probably should have clarified. I live in the bay area. The trip will be starting from there. I'm more interested in the other areas on the map as I want to focus on the beers that are not available in my area.

Hmm, that explains why the Bay Area is "F" on the Google points--or not. If you live in the Bay Area and haven't done the Anchor Brewery I contend that you should STILL make that your first stop.

Maybe on your way through Davis you could stop and try to get a look at the 1957 all-grain 5-gallon pilot system installed in the UCD brewing science laboratory. It cost $50k back then and it's a thing of beauty. If you're lucky you could shake the hand of Michael Lewis PhD, professor emeritus and a hell of a nice guy!

Another thought: just for laffs you should try to buy a sixer of bottled beer and a bottle opener in the same Oklahoma store. Last time I was there it was illegal. It's not called the buckle of the Bible Belt for nothin'.

On the other hand, you CAN buy 190 proof Everclear in OK, and it makes a nice solvent for doing your own oak-chip tincture.

Most of the route in Arkansas looks like "dry county hell". I'm not sure about Oklahoma. There isn't much in southern Illinois, but if you go to St. Louis there is Schafly Brewing and that's great.

We drive every year through southern Illinois and across Arkansas, and there are mostly dry areas surrounded by nuthin'.

I love to travel, but most of the states you're traveling through aren't known for beer or breweries. If you go a wee bit north, you can hit Minneapolis (awesome for beer), and Milwaukee, Madison (New Glarus), Wisconsin.

With the exception of your home state, Chicago, and the small amount of time you're in Oregon, you are going on a trip thru beer hell. Not a lot to get in those areas. If you don't have to go to points D and E, I would recommend amending your path to go thru Colorado, where you've got a beer mecca.

You will find local microbrewery/pubs in almost every city in Idaho...looks like you have a stop there. wyoming is the same...lots of small local breweries...looks like a night in Jackson...2 choices there.. You will also do well in New Mexico.

Not many nationally known brewies on the route, but many smaller local choices...should be fun.

RobertRGeorge said:
Hmm, that explains why the Bay Area is "F" on the Google points--or not. If you live in the Bay Area and haven't done the Anchor Brewery I contend that you should STILL make that your first stop.

Maybe on your way through Davis you could stop and try to get a look at the 1957 all-grain 5-gallon pilot system installed in the UCD brewing science laboratory. It cost $50k back then and it's a thing of beauty. If you're lucky you could shake the hand of Michael Lewis PhD, professor emeritus and a hell of a nice guy!

Lol, sorry, there's an unseen A under that F. And F would be the end of the loop so that's where I'm finishing (home).

Hex23 said:
Looks like your east most point is near Munster Indiana, home of Three Floyds. They have a nice brewpub and several very good beers.

I'll definitely be looking for some Three Floyd's.

pwkblue said:
You will find local microbrewery/pubs in almost every city in Idaho...looks like you have a stop there. wyoming is the same...lots of small local breweries...looks like a night in Jackson...2 choices there.. You will also do well in New Mexico.

Not many nationally known brewies on the route, but many smaller local choices...should be fun.

Thanks. The stop in Wyoming is Yellowstone national park.

Sounds like I'm sort of outta luck. Hmmm well see how lucky I get. Thanks for your responses

Two Brothers brewery in Warrenville, Revolution brewery, Piece Brewery & Pizzeria both in Chicago, All three GABF winners. Pick up some Pipeworks while in Chicago. Haymarket Pub & Brewery in Chicago. Haymarket, Piece do not sell bottles or cans just growlers at their pubs.

Going through Albuquerque, NM you have to go to La Cumbre and have a few and then go to Marble Brewing and get a Red Ale. Knock your socks off it's sooo good.
We just went through there on our way to ride motorcycles in Utah last month. We came back that way just to go to Marble for another Red Ale.

Looks like you are on I-80 which will take you within a mile or so of these two breweries:
http://www.millstreambrewing.com/
Amana colonies/amish country - german inspired brewery. Some of the beers aren't great, but some are pretty good. I had an oatmeal stout of theirs recently that I really liked. Their Amber is usually good. Their brewery would be pretty cool I would think.

Also - http://www.backpocketbrewing.com/

Also right off I80 in coralville (iowacity). Relatively new facility. Was just there yesterday. Good dunkel. Also, primarily german inspired beers.

Not a beer stop but you should find a BBQ joint called Rendevous in Memphis. Excellent dry rub Memphis Q. Then you are right on Beale St for plenty of fun.

I'll definitely be looking for some Three Floyd's.

You likely won't find it unless you go to the brewery or get lucky and IMO it's truly one of the best breweries bar none.
And i agree about the largely going to be in beer hell statement but...

Santa Fe brewing
Grand Teton over the pass from Jackson hole
Hit a Binnys in Chicago and look for founders and jolly pumpkin, specifically jolly pumpkin sours

The two detours I would suggest are

Minneapolis, I don't think it would add much time for surly
San Diego, although given its your home state I'm sure you make it that way a lot. I know you can get alpine(some available in la county) the Bay Area and I'm pretty sure that alesmith doesn't distribute that far north either.

Xpertskir said:
You likely won't find it unless you go to the brewery or get lucky and IMO it's truly one of the best breweries bar none.
And i agree about the largely going to be in beer hell statement but...

Santa Fe brewing
Grand Teton over the pass from Jackson hole
Hit a Binnys in Chicago and look for founders and jolly pumpkin, specifically jolly pumpkin sours

The two detours I would suggest are

Minneapolis, I don't think it would add much time for surly
San Diego, although given its your home state I'm sure you make it that way a lot. I know you can get alpine(some available in la county) the Bay Area and I'm pretty sure that alesmith doesn't distribute that far north either.

Awesome! Unfortunately I'm not the one driving so making large detours is not really in my control, but my parents told me to make a list of the places I wanted to try and stop at.

Three Floyd's isn't too far from crown point Indiana which is where my family reunion is so I will definitely put that at the top of my list.

And really, to be perfectly honest, stopping at the breweries isn't too high of a priority. Really all I'm looking for is what beers I can find in these areas that if I see I NEED to buy. If I can find some liquor stores along the way to stop at I'm trying to develop a list of beer specifics that I should hunt for. Not necessarily the breweries themselves as I'll likely only be able to make it to about 3 of them depending on how much down time we have between traveling.

I try to go into liquour stores, convenience stores or gas station stores wherever I happen to be and buy something primarily on the strength of the label art. I found Four Peaks Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale in Tempe AZ that way.

Shouldn't be too hard to find 3F in Crown Point or anywhere in the general area. I live in Munster. You can find at least the flagship beers in just about any grocery or liquor store around here. Some will also carry some of the specialty beers in bombers also. You can get growlers and bottles of most everything at the brewery itself also. The brewpub itself can get crowded and tough to get into depending on time and day. They've got a carryout side though.

Flagstaff, AZ. Drop by Beaver Street Brewery or Lumberyard brewing. They are owned by the same people, so you'll find the same beers at both locations. Beaver st. Has some some amazing wood fired pizzas though.

If you are just looking to purchase hard to find beers, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this spot anywhere along your route - they have a TON of hard to find beers, lots of imports, belgians, etc.
Iowa City - within a mile or so of I-80. For buying beer, it is a must stop. here is a link to their "by style" inventory.
http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments/Beer/browse.cfm?method=style

Braufessor said:
If you are just looking to purchase hard to find beers, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this spot anywhere along your route - they have a TON of hard to find beers, lots of imports, belgians, etc.
Iowa City - within a mile or so of I-80. For buying beer, it is a must stop. here is a link to their "by style" inventory.
http://www.johnsgrocery.com/Departments/Beer/browse.cfm?method=style

Wow, thanks! That's quite an impressive selection they have!

ibbones said:
Going through Albuquerque, NM you have to go to La Cumbre and have a few and then go to Marble Brewing and get a Red Ale. Knock your socks off it's sooo good.
We just went through there on our way to ride motorcycles in Utah last month. We came back that way just to go to Marble for another Red Ale.

Ditto this exactly. La Cumbre's Elevated IPA has won multiple awards. The brewer there has been interviewed by multiple websites and magazines as one of the top hop heads. Get a 4 pack of cans while you're there.

Marble is amazing. Their Marble Red is one of the best craft beers I've ever had. Drink a couple at their brewery and buy a sixer for later.

While in Chicago hit Bennies Liqure best in city has everything.
Nabraska brewing company, there Hop God, Ménage a Trois , Black Betty stout are all really good. Also in IL see if any stores have Brooklyn brewing, Terrapin from Athins GA,Sweat Water from GA, Dog Fish head will be in Chicago as well, 21st Amendment is great. Great Lakes brewing is good.

If you can get to Saint Louis, MO. Second Shift brewing, Perennial Brewing, Square One brew pub good food and beer also a distillery. Urban Chestnut Brewing great German and Belgian brews. Four Hands is one of My Fav's always great also all four of these are only 30 min from total driving.

There are some new brewery's in Arkansas that I have heard are good. Also in Arkansas look for Mothers Brewing from Springfield Mo, those are my local guys and do a really good Brown and IPA.

Side note drop into Denver cause there is to much beer to pass up if not just to hit Falling Rock Tap House. Odell's, New Belgian, Fort Collins, tommy knockers, Breckinridge, Avery, Left Hand, Flying Dog, Great Divide.

Have fun Drive Safe!!! Oh and bring me some Russia River sours for the love of all thnigs fermented!!!!!

Looks as though you will be going through Iowa City...Johns Grocery on S. Gilbert has one of the beer selections in the country! Lots of really hard to get stuff...if your there during the week as for Doug. Also try Backpocket brewery in Coralville (about 15 minutes away) then have dinner at Reds Ale house in North Liberty (another 15 minutes). Their motto is no crap on tap, great selection, have most of the beers that are brewed in state. Try Toppling Goliath's 1492..,my beer of choice these days.

If you veer a little bit north and go through Wisconsin, we have some great breweries here - New Glarus, Ale Asylum, Sprecher, Lakefront, Tyranena, Milwaukee Brewing Co., Vintage Brewing,

Thanks everyone! I have quite a list developing. I definitely plan on stopping at John's grocery, and probably bennies liquor. Probably have lunch one day at 3 Floyd's.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Half Acre in Chicago. I believe they only sell to go beer out of there brewery and there is no brew pub. But what I have had from them has been great.

Also one good beer store in that local should get you in touch with most of the great Michigan brews.

Looks like you will be running very close to bourbonnais IL I would stop at brickstone restaurant and brewery they have there national award winning pale ale which beat three Floyd's this year they have good food also

Back