frozen beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I had an over carbonated batch of beer in my bottles. It seems I bottled too early. Couple of bottles exploded, and I decided to save the rest. I took a half of the bottles (that's what fit my freezer) and put them in the ice, trying to cool them as cold as possible without freezing them. This was the only way to avoid extreme gushing and beer geyser all over my kitchen :)

I managed to do it with half of the bottles and the result was satisfying. I recapped them for 5 times trying to release as much CO2 every time. Eventually I got to the desired level of carbonation and this beer is really cool and drinkable now.

Now let's get to the problem - of course I decided to repeat the procedure with the other half of the bottles. Unfortunately I let them in the freezer a bit too long and the ice inside the bottles started to form. I'd say it just started to form when I took them out and I guess less than 10% of the beer turned to ice.

I recapped those bottles easily because CO2 released from the beer really slowly.

Now, I wonder is this beer going to be affected in any way by being frozen a little bit for a short period of time? Can yeast produce off flavors if being frozen in the bottle?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Cold filtered, just like Coors Light and Icehouse!!

Seriously, though, just put them in the fridge and thaw them out slowly and the beer will be fine. You will even get some good clarity due to the extreme cold crashing.

Well, hello neighbor :)

I smell “ice distillation" experiment here... rack few bottles leaving ice particles behind. Few bottles doesn't make big difference and you may be pleased w/result.

Back