Bulk hops - what kind and from where?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I want to order 1lb of bulk hops. I'm thinking something higher AAs for bittering. I can get 1lb of Magnum from Hops Direct. What variety would you buy in bulk for bittering?

I bought a pound of Cascades in bulk last week.

I also bought a pound of "hops" of unknown variety from a witch/pagan/herbal store. They smell good, and I got a pound for only $3. I got a couple recipes in the past that turned out good, but not quite as hoppy as I had in mind - I figure I might try the same recipe as before and just add an ounce or so of these mystery hops and see what happens.

If I were going to buy a pound of hops today I would probably like to get some of those Magnums you mentioned.

Mutilated1 said:
I also bought a pound of "hops" of unknown variety from a witch/pagan/herbal store. They smell good, and I got a pound for only $3.

Keep us posted on how those turn out - I saw the same thing you're talking about, and I'm dying to see if they're any good - at $3 a pound, how can we afford NOT to?!?!?!?

-Chris

Soulive21 said:
I just pulled the trigger on the pound of Magnum. It works out to $1.68 per ounce with shipping :mug:
I bet it'll be cheaper than that, since hopsdirect is known for shipping you quite a bit more than you ordered, sometimes almost a full pound over.

Funkenjaeger said:
I bet it'll be cheaper than that, since hopsdirect is known for shipping you quite a bit more than you ordered, sometimes almost a full pound over.

Is that them being really nice or really careless? Either way, I hope you're right :ban:

I don't know, but my Cascades were effectively $12 a pound!

I thought about buying a couple more pounds and having my wife use them to stuff some pillows...

Jim Karr said:
If you're after IBU's, you can't go wrong with Chinook hops. Problem is, they're one variety affected by the shortage.

I find Chinook to be much more aggressive than Magnum or Perle, even when just used for bittering. Seems to leave some harsh flavors, if you use a lot. I'd go with the cleanest, high-AA% hop I could find.

the_bird said:
I don't know, but my Cascades were effectively $12 a pound!

I thought about buying a couple more pounds and having my wife use them to stuff some pillows...

From where? Hopsdirect?

Yeah. Pound of Cascade was 1lb, 15 ounces. Pound of Fuggles was 1lb, 12 ounces. Still was close to $50 shipped, but not bad when considering how many hops I got.

Hell, I got too many hops, they barely fit in the freezer!

the_bird said:
Yeah. Pound of Cascade was 1lb, 15 ounces. Pound of Fuggles was 1lb, 12 ounces. Still was close to $50 shipped, but not bad when considering how many hops I got.

Hell, I got too many hops, they barely fit in the freezer!

Man, that's great news :D

I pulled the trigger last night on 3 pounds, 3 styles, from Hops Direct
US Golding, GR Hersbrucker, and Amarillo
Can't wait! :-D

Back