I need a blowoff tube for my blowoff tube.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTheKing

Reaction score
So before leaving on a business trip for a couple weeks I had a few friends over and we worked our way through a few of my kegs. The day before taking off I threw together a quick IPA to replenish the stock. Kind of a hurried brewday and playing around with a few things I ended up with 6.5 gals instead of my usual 5.5 and just didn't have time to boil down.

So, pitched a big starter, packed my bags and got on a plane. 2 weeks later I come home to this:

562724_664216513040_264995001_n.jpg

It blew off through the tube as usual, but then straight out the growler and all over the floor. Lost ~1 gal. Bummer.

And yeah, I know better. Thankfully it's all contained in the fridge and not all over the floor. I'll get a plastic container for the growler next brewday.

I hate to laugh... but wow. LOL.... like you said.... at least it's in the fridge. Looks like a LOT of hops in there!

Yesterday I put 5.5 gallons of wort with an OG of 1.075 in a 6.5 gallon carboy fermenter pitched with 1028 Old English Ale. 70-72 degrees in the room. As of now, less than 24 hours later, I've lost nearly a gallon through the blowoff tube...no end in sight. Just keeps flowing. This has never happened before. Any thoughts?

Use Fermcap or brew more :)

Took me two rolls of paper towels to get all the gunk out. That was not fun.

Thanks, MrTheKing! Fermcap it is. Hope I can find it locally. I'm too Scottish to pay more for shipping than for the product.

my beer was coming up the blowoff when i got home today. I caught it able 1/3 of the way up.

Guess I had siphoned a fair amount. Didnt acc for adding fruit to the secondary. lol

Back