My new Milwaukee pH56 - calibration issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
So I bought myself a Milwaukee pH 56 and am really excited to try improving my quality by understanding/controlling the mash pH.

I believe I followed the instructions that came with the meter to calibrate it (I can post them if needed) but afterward I let it sit in the 4.01 calibration solution and the meter reads 3.91. Is that right? It sounds like I'm off by 0.10. Likewise when I move it to the 7.01 solution it was reading 6.89.

Before I calibrated it, it was reading exactly 4.00 in the solution so I'm wondering if I should've even bothered trying to calibrate.

I also read the sticky on here which is a bit more detailed and has a few more steps such as rinsing the electrode with DI water, so I may try that next time I calibrate.

Go back to the sticky and read up on the stability check part. It is characteristic of inexpensive meters that they aren't stable. It is also characteristic of users new to pH measurement that they don't always get things exactly right the first time out. So do follow the more detailed instructions of that sticky with respect to DI rinses, blotting, fresh buffers etc. If it is up to you to decide when to accept a calibration reading wait a good minute or 2 before accepting and at the completion of the cal, read one of the buffers several times over a period of an hour or so. Some fluctuation is to be expected. We hope that as you, and the meter, get broken in a little you'll get that down to less than 0.1.

Thanks! When I did my research I think I bought a reputable and somewhat pricey meter, so I think I just need to figure out how to use it correctly to get accurate readings.

I suggest you soak the probe for 24 hrs in storage solution to condition it before using it. Hanna recommends 1 hr, but it wasn't enough for my meter.

My cheap Hanna read .5 off after a 1hr soak. I adjusted it and then placed it in storage solution. After the overnight soak, it read .5 off the other way. I reset it with fresh 7 and 4 buffers. Since then, it hasn't deviated more than .1.

So I bought myself a Milwaukee pH 56 and am really excited to try improving my quality by understanding/controlling the mash pH.

I believe I followed the instructions that came with the meter to calibrate it (I can post them if needed) but afterward I let it sit in the 4.01 calibration solution and the meter reads 3.91. Is that right? It sounds like I'm off by 0.10. Likewise when I move it to the 7.01 solution it was reading 6.89.

Before I calibrated it, it was reading exactly 4.00 in the solution so I'm wondering if I should've even bothered trying to calibrate.

I also read the sticky on here which is a bit more detailed and has a few more steps such as rinsing the electrode with DI water, so I may try that next time I calibrate.
Maybe anyone who wasted 100 like I did on the Milwaukee pH 56....thanks northern Brewer... Should consider all the different ways of destroying a worthless piece of junk! I see myself dropping it off a tall bridge into the river. Or perhaps shooting out a potato gun? Or running it over with an asphalt roller! I digress.

Maybe anyone who wasted 100 like I did on the Milwaukee pH 56....thanks northern Brewer... Should consider all the different ways of destroying a worthless piece of junk! I see myself dropping it off a tall bridge into the river. Or perhaps shooting out a potato gun? Or running it over with an asphalt roller! I digress.
The tall bridge drop sounds most apropos, it's related to 'testing the water,' and would be a great final destination.

If filmed for posterity, the other 2 options offer unique alternative uses for that product. The asphalt roller has a lot of appeal, due to that instant gratification. But the potato gun will be the most spectacular. I'd vote for that.

I suggest you soak the probe for 24 hrs in storage solution to condition it before using it. Hanna recommends 1 hr, but it wasn't enough for my meter.
I always keep my Hanna meter soaking in storage solution until I’m ready to use it. Then I rinse the probe with RO water and soak it about an hour in cleaning solution before calibrating it.

One thing I have noticed with the newer pH meters is that they don't seem to gum up the way they used to so that cleaning doesn't seem to be as necessary as it was in the past. I have electrodes that I have never cleaned as they don't seem to be showing any of the symptoms that suggest they need it. I'm guessing it's the newer junction designs. Thus I think you could probably skip the cleaner soak or at least do it periodically rather than every time you use the meter.

One thing I have noticed with the newer pH meters is that they don't seem to gum up the way they used to so that cleaning doesn't seem to be as necessary as it was in the past. I have electrodes that I have never cleaned as they don't seem to be showing any of the symptoms that suggest they need it. I'm guessing it's the newer junction designs. Thus I think you could probably skip the cleaner soak or at least do it periodically rather than every time you use the meter.
Makes sense too AJ. As for me, the cleaner is so inexpensive if it delays my buying another $60 electrode from Hanna it's worth the extra step. Anything to maintain a stable reading.

Latest posts

Back