BIAB Mash Temp Measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epateddy

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Interested in how you Brew in a Bag -ers measure your mash temps. I have a 10 gal Boilermaker but don't have the Brewmometer installed. That thing was WAY off (what a piece of %^%*&%) and even if it worked I was concerned it would snag (or put a hole in) the bag

I've tried the remote temp sensors, but they seem to get wet in the wrong places and become unreliable.

My standby is inserting a digital in the mash to take the temp. Very accurate but I'd prefer to monitor the temp without having to keep taking the top off.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

all i do is check it with a handheld thermometer when i mash in, make sure all is good, put the lid on, cover the kettle with blankets, and drink a beer. i think the only way to get a good reading is if you stir before measuring. your temps dropping much?

My Bag sits on top of a steam rack to keep it from touching the bottom of the Kettle. Probably 4-5 inches away from bottom. My Thermometer is underneath the steam rack. I also re-circulate the entire time with a chugger pump. I have a digital thermometer on the return into the Kettle (from the pump).

Since I keep the liquid (mash/wort) moving the entire time I figure it is fairly accurate measurement of the temperature. I am also direct firing it with propane as needed. No automation so it is a very manual process.

ghetto_brewtree_480x640_-52165.jpg

Chris

I use a plain bag with no false bottom in a plain keggle. I measure the mash temp after dough-in with a digital probe thermometer while stirring, then I cover the thing with a blanket. I check again at 30 minutes, again while stirring, and typically have lost 2-3 degrees. I then fire it again to bring it back up then cover and go the second 30 minutes. I'd like to try the reflectix, but I figure it's good to stir the mash anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Goybar's process is pretty slick for recirculating BIAB, but unless your recirculating I wouldn't use a thermometer through the kettle - you just wont get an accurate measurement of the temperature in the mash and might rip your bag (IMHO) - if I'm wrong here I'd love to know as I've always wanted a reason to have a cool looking kettle with some toys other than a ball valve. I stir thoroughly and check the temp with a good thermometer (every 30 minutes during the mash).

I have also been entertaining the idea of a long thermowell through the lid of the Kettle to get down into the middle of the mash.

All kinds of ideas but so little time and money. :)

Chris

Veedo - Temp isn't dropping much this time of year brewing outdoors in Mass. I typically hit the temp, then every 15 minutes give it a good stir and measure again. Then I fire up the burner (on low) as needed to warm up a bit. Yesterday (85 outdoors) I only had to heat it twice during the 60 minutes. In the winter, more frequently. Sounds a lot like what BetterSense does.

I've seen others have drilled a hole through the lid (suppose I'd need a thermometer with a long probe) but I can't bring myself to do it. May come to that, though.

I've got two thermometers, a digital handheld and a 2" dial thermo on my sightglass in my keggle w/propane. I'm always banging the bag against the end of the probe on my dial thermo when I stir. The bag holds up fine.

I notice a temperature stratification of around 5F between the two thermos when I'm mashing. They are calibrated and read the same when my bag is not in the keggle. It seems like the dead space under my bag stays hotter than the mash even after I have stirred the bejesus out of it. I can get the difference down to a couple of degrees but that's about it. I check the mash two or three times with my digital thermo and adjust with a little heat if I've lost more than two degrees. During the mash I always use the temp on the digital thermo I stick in the mash and I stir to keep the stratification down.

I'm headed towards recirculating with a pump and I'll be curious if that makes for a more uniform temp.

I have one of the digital fluke type meters I bought off eBay that comes with a long thin wire attached to a thermocouple on the end. It's waterproof and i just drop it in my mash with the meter on top of a blanket. I turn it on and off to check temps without lifting the lid. I originally bought it to check kiln temps and I know I didn't spend more than about $35 on it and it is actually very accurate and reads temp very quick.

image-1088040106.jpg

Great idea. I didn't even think of using my Fluke multimeter. I need to check out what accessories are available for my model.

Chris

epateddy said:
Hey everyone.

Interested in how you Brew in a Bag -ers measure your mash temps. I have a 10 gal Boilermaker but don't have the Brewmometer installed. That thing was WAY off (what a piece of %^%*&%) and even if it worked I was concerned it would snag (or put a hole in) the bag

If you read the manual that came with the blichmann pot, it tells you that you need to calibrate the probe as it might have moved during shipment. 2 of my 3 needed calibration. Took about 10 minutes and match my thermapen. If it doesn't after calibration, send it back to blichmann for a replacement.

I've done 10 or more BIAB with a temp probe stem poking out with no tearing issues at all.

By calibration do you mean turn the set screw to rotate the face with the temps on it? Yeah did that. A couple times. I'd get it aligned with my digital at a lower, room temp, but it would not stay aligned as temps increased.

By calibration do you mean turn the set screw to rotate the face with the temps on it? Yeah did that. A couple times. I'd get it aligned with my digital at a lower, room temp, but it would not stay aligned as temps increased.

Yes. However, for a mash tun, you care about 145 to 160F. Heat up the water to say 155 and calibrate it in that range. It doesn't matter if it's accurate at 32F or even 80F if you using it for mash temps.

If you read the manual that came with the blichmann pot, it tells you that you need to calibrate the probe as it might have moved during shipment. 2 of my 3 needed calibration. Took about 10 minutes and match my thermapen. If it doesn't after calibration, send it back to blichmann for a replacement.

I've done 10 or more BIAB with a temp probe stem poking out with no tearing issues at all.

Does the thermometer give an accurate measurement of the temp in the mash? I'd assume you would still want to stir before relying on the reading?

Does the thermometer give an accurate measurement of the temp in the mash? I'd assume you would still want to stir before relying on the reading?

I've got a calibrated Brewmometer and a Thermapen... and they're within a degree. The mash itself has a temperature differential depending on where you take the reading. Stirring the mash (or recirculating) will help stabilize the temp through the entire mash. Stirring the mash before observing the temp will help distribute the temperature. In general, I've found that the temp reading on the Brewmometer is within a degree of my Thermapen, before or after stirring. Since the thermapen is more sensitive, you will find gradients in the temp at various locations within the mash before you see a change in the Brewmometer.

IMO, if you have a Brewmometer, calibrate it and use it as a guide; at a glance you can see the temp within a degree. If you really want to zero in, stir up the mash and check with a Thermapen.

If you need tighter/faster temp control, you probably want a digital style temp probe and mash recirculation.

CS223,

The last 2-3 brews I haven't really bothered with looking at the numbers. I have scrap paper all over with notes. I need to get better organized.

Prior to these last batches it has been around 75%.

Chris

Alright I've had it. I think it's time to bite the bullet, drill a hole in the lid and order up a digital thermometer with a long probe. The Oregon Scientific remote thermometer I've been using must be getting wet - despite being waterproofed! Temps are way off when checked against my handheld. Kinda tired of baking it to dry it out. Anyone used this Thermometer?

Ended up ordering a long stem thermometer and drilled a hole in the top of my Boilermaker. Probe extends to about the same spot where the Brewmometer was, but is out of your way when you remove the top to stir. Working well for me so far.

pot.jpg

probe.jpg

epateddy said:
Ended up ordering a long stem thermometer and drilled a hole in the top of my Boilermaker. Probe extends to about the same spot where the Brewmometer was, but is out of your way when you remove the top to stir. Working well for me so far.

Gotta say.... Those pots are frigging beautiful! ....lol. Never thought I would I ever thing a kettle was beautiful though!

Back