Applicability of Belgian Candi Syrup to Non-Belgian Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I was going to grab a pound of Lyle's Black for a stout recipe I'm working up when I placed an order from Midwest, but poo on me they didn't have any. I ordered a pound of Belgian D2 Candi Syrup instead, as it seems like it' will offer the kind of nuances I was trying to get from the Lyle's.

Lo and behold they sent me two pounds. Lucky me. Should I use all of it in my stout? I'm in a "what the hey" mood, but I'm about to brew up the wort so I'm going to need to pull the trigger one way or the other...

I made a great english RIS with dark candi syrup. Adds more dark fruit and caramel as opposed to something like trecale, but I think it makes for a very good beer. The D2 is even darker, so I think you'll be fine. although I think 1 lb is enough unless you are making a really massive beer.

I'm in a "what the hey" mood, but I'm about to brew up the wort so I'm going to need to pull the trigger one way or the other...
Beware the 'what the hey' mood. It can sometimes lead to 'what the hey was I thinking' a few weeks later.;)

i made an imperial IPA using a homemade dark syrup instead of regular table sugar or dextrose. it had no negative effect on the finished beer at all. i think it helped with the caramel flavors, possibly promoted the reddish hue. i plan on doing it again next time around.

Latest posts

Back