Attenuation reached?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole_hops

Reaction score
My OG was 1.051 and 16 days later I am at 1.020 (been that way for at least 3 days). Will it be safe to rack this to the secondary?

If it's stayed at the same gravity for 3 days, then you're good to go.

Personally, I wait 5+ days with no change in gravity, but that's just me letting the yeast play cleanup.

Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Was actually shooting for a higher gravity but acidentially added .5 gallons too much water.

If it's stayed at the same gravity for 3 days, then you're good to go.

Personally, I wait 5+ days with no change in gravity, but that's just me letting the yeast play cleanup.

That's not entirely true. Just because the gravity stabilized doesn't mean your fermentation is not stuck.

With an OG of 51 and a medium range of yeast attenuation at 75% your projected FG should be between 12 and 13.

It really depends on the attenuation of the yeast. This info is usually found on the packet or a chart somewhere. ;)

If you were trying to brew this to style, the style guidelines for Oatmeal Stout gravities are below, and I'd say you're close enough on the FG, and considering it's been steady for 3 days now, I would say now would be as good a time as any to rack to secondary.

OG: 1.035 - 1.060
FG: 1.010 - 1.018

Back