Green beer taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch (Brewer's Best Robust Porter) last Friday and my second today (pale ale from a Winemaker's kit) - wanted to get my pipeline going :rockin:. After I got today's batch into the primary, I opened up the porter to get a SG reading. Initial was 1.048 and now it is 1.022. It is supposed to be around 1.015, so I think that is going well. Now for the question. I put some into a snifter style glass for a taste. Upon smelling it, I was pleased - it is getting there. The taste was a little bitter, which I expected, but it also tasted watered down. Is this normal (the watery taste) for a beer 1 week into it?

Thanks in advance. This forum rocks. I have learned so much in just a couple of weeks!

Never ever judge a beer until it has been carbed and conditioned At least three weeks in the bottle...sometimes 6-8. It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter, your beer is still fermenting, it is going to go through a huge amount of changes or the next few weeks....or months depending on the beer...

Read these and relax.

Of patience and Bottle Conditioning

This will give some some extreme examples of how a beer will change in the bottle over time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Watery is what we hear most often when folks try their young, uncarbonated beer. Carbonation helps with mouth feel and aging changes (improves) the taste considerably.

Thanks guys. I know that this isn't going to be the final taste of the beer, but I wanted to know if this was appropriate at this stage of the game. That way when it turns out great (hopefully), I will know what to expect along the way.

Revvy,

I have read those posts and they were very informative. They are helping me with my impatience. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I know that this isn't going to be the final taste of the beer, but I wanted to know if this was appropriate at this stage of the game. That way when it turns out great (hopefully), I will know what to expect along the way.

Revvy,

I have read those posts and they were very informative. They are helping me with my impatience. Thanks.

Thanks, that's what they are there for. :D

I think that the need for patience in all aspects of this hobby, is the most important, yet least stressed in books and kit instructions....

To throw in my $0.02, it's rarely a good idea to taste a fermenting beer.

Once you've hit your final gravity, though, you *should* taste your hydrometer samples, because over time you'll develop an innate sense for how the final beer will taste, even if the sample is green, warm and uncarbonated. Until you have that experience, just taste it and accept all the flaws (unless it tastes sour) - the final beer will be fine. If the sample tastes sour, you may have an infection, but even most of those end up producing very drinkable beers with some age (being careful to vent the bottles from time to time to prevent bottle bombs due to overcarbonation).

To throw in my $0.02, it's rarely a good idea to taste a fermenting beer.

Once you've hit your final gravity, though, you *should* taste your hydrometer samples, because over time you'll develop an innate sense for how the final beer will taste, even if the sample is green, warm and uncarbonated. Until you have that experience, just taste it and accept all the flaws (unless it tastes sour) - the final beer will be fine. If the sample tastes sour, you may have an infection, but even most of those end up producing very drinkable beers with some age (being careful to vent the bottles from time to time to prevent bottle bombs due to overcarbonation).

+1 to this....

Brewenstein - I agree, once your first couple of batches are done your be able to relax and not feel the need to open up the primary until it is done. (of course I primary in glass so I can see what's going on). But I alwasy taste my sample readings, usually at 1 to three weeks.
Welcome to the addiction.

Early on, it doesn't hurt to taste your beers at different stages of their progress. As long as you aren't setting expectations it's fine...it's called learning.

Especially when you begin replicating your favorite recipes, having that familiar (albeit a bit nasty) flavor will remind you you're doing it right.

Certainly you've seen those pictures of brewmasters drawing a ladle of beer out of a bright tank and tasting it. I doubt they're thinking..."oh ****...this beer tastes too watery...better toss it..." :D

Thin and watery is normal at this stage. Enjoy your process. Taste at will...but know that your beers' peak is still weeks away. :mug:

Back