Dude, your beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Well, I had to start this thread to comment on Dude's beers that we received at the WBF in Raleigh.

Tonight I had the LPR - Coffe Milk Stout:

I'm not the biggest fan of Stouts (or beers with roasted grains) in general. That's why I was very pleased that the bitterness, that is taken from the grains, is not overpowering at all. I was not able to detect the oxidation that Dude mentioned. That might be because I haven't really tastes heavily oxidized beer yet (not like DMS, which by the way I cannot detect in this beer ;) ).

All in all, a well rounded and easy drinking beer that deserves the name Liquid Panty Remover.

But maybe someone who is more familiar with stouts and milk stouts has more comments on this beer.

Kai

I copied this from the Raleigh WBF thread:

"Dude, I had the beer in the bottle with the cap labeled "Hooch" tonight. What was it? It reminded me of the one Witt I tried at the festival and that's why I assume it is a Witt. Do we just post beer critique in this thread?

Assuming it is a Witt: I'm not familiar with the style and cannot comment on how close you hit a desired style. But the beer was well brewed, there were no off-flavors that I noticed. It is a little sour in the finish, but this seems to be desired and goes well with the style. Witts remind me of German Hefes without the funkiness of the yeast, but with more funk than American Hefes ;). All in all I liked it."

Now I know it was supposed to be an American Hefe. As I mentioned above, I had the feeling that it had a little bit more funk than I usually get from American Hefes. As Dude pointed out in some other thread, this might be due to the yeast. Maybe you should try WY1056 or WY1007. The latter is the strain from the Uerige (according to WYeast). This is the same strain that the Widmer Brother claim to have used for their Hefe. I hope that these strains will also produce less acidity.

Kai

Appreciate the feedback.

I hope swami brings back some boulevard wheat so I can cross compare my honey wheat against it. I had some today and while I contend it is a slight sour taste, I vaguely remember the widmer and boulevard being slightly sour as well.

As for the LPR--I was never fond of it to begin with.

Now I can't wait til you guys sample the Honey Pale Ale.

I'm also bummed out that you guys didn't get to try the Lake Walk. I just found out it made it to the second round of nationals!

Dude said:
I hope swami brings back some boulevard wheat so I can cross compare my honey wheat against it.

Ehh.....I went to pick some up for you, and it was all gone. So, I got you some Lienies Creamy Dark instead. :( But, I recall enough about it's flavor to rate yours against it.

On the LWPA....hot damn!!! You kinda buried that comment in there. Get out there and brag about it. :D When's the last round of judging?

Dude said:
I hope swami brings back some boulevard wheat so I can cross compare my honey wheat against it. I had some today and while I contend it is a slight sour taste, I vaguely remember the widmer and boulevard being slightly sour as well.

I believe most Hefes (American, German and Belgian) are somewhat sour. I didn't see it as a problem in this beer, unlike in my 1st Hefe. I just wanted to point it out as a flavor.

I just found out it made it to the second round of nationals!

Way to go. Good job!!

Kai

Dude:

Congrats on moving to the second round! Best wishes for making it all the way to the top.

I looked last night for your recipe. Not sure the one I found is the final version. Do you have an extract/partial mash version you want to share?

No fair leaving out ingrediants like granny does at holiday get-togethers... ;)

Lounge Lizard said:
Congrats on moving to the second round! Best wishes for making it all the way to the top.

I looked last night for your recipe. Not sure the one I found is the final version. Do you have an extract/partial mash version you want to share?

No fair leaving out ingrediants like granny does at holiday get-togethers... ;)

Thanks. :)

I updated my sig with the AG version. For extract, just sub 5 lbs DME for the 2-row, and steep 1 lb toasted 2-row (spray regular uncrushed 2-row with some water and toast for 30 mins at about 275°, halfway through, stir and spray again) with the crystal malt. I steeped carapils as well but I'm not sure it does anything for the beer. I think carapils has to be mashed.

I swear this is the whole recipe. It isn't anythign special, huh? :D Must be my talent. :p Really, the toasted 2 row adds a slight depth. I'm hoping the judges on my scoresheet picked up on that. We'll see this week hopefully.

FWIW, I change the recipe (mostly the hops) slightly almost every time I brew it, but the recipe in the sig is the one that went to nationals.

Thanks, Dude. I think I will bump the DME up to six pounds and see what happens.

One of these days I will get my AG setup completed. You AG guys are just having way too much fun... :cross:

Honey Pale Ale:

Little hop aroma after opening the bottle. That must be the Cascade aroma addition. The aroma is still present in the glass.

I was not able to raise a good enough head to judge the head retention :(

It has a nice amber to reddish color and is very clear.

Carbonation level is as I would expect it for the style.

There is a pronounced hop flavor that dominates the taste and finishes into a soft bitterness, that doesn't linger long. It also has a slight sweetness to it which I contribute to the honey and which makes it an easy drinking beer.

I like this beer and are glad, that I have another bottle in the fridge. I have never had a honey beer before so I didn't know what to expect.

Looking at the recipe I see that it targeted 40 IBU. This shows me how different the utilization in different home brew systems is. Judging the IBUs based on my previous beers, I would put it between 25 and 30 IBUs. Even though it may have some sweetness to counteract the bitterness I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

Since I like the bitterness that you got from the Phoenix, I may want to give this one a try too.

Kai

Dude said:
I just found out it made it to the second round of nationals!

Congratulations! I guess I jumped into your LWPA recipe at the right time then. That's the exact version I made. I'll see what my local brew pub owner/brewer friend thinks of it as well at my party. It's going to be on tap that night. I'll give you the kudos on the recipe.

We drank some tonight, actually. I had a 2 liter that I totally meant to bring to the Raleigh festival for the NC GRABASS boys but I forgot it in my sleep deprived haze. :rolleyes:

What amazes me about everyone's individual tastes is that Sam said it was nice balance, and he liked it dry like that. I thought it was too dry, where I prefer a sweeter IPA/APA.

I do think this batch turned out decent but I'll still tweak it.

And thanks. Really, I got lucky that this one advanced. I don't know how it did. :confused:

I haven't tasted a drop of your beer yet, Dude.

I'm trying to set up a time when I can sit down with BOSTON and share the beers with him so that you get double feedback. We're just both busy on the next few weekends so finding a time to do it isn't very easy. I've had to stop myself from opening the SPA a couple of times.

On a related note, the review of LPR will kind of happen by surprise. I had it on a shelf in my fridge with your other beers, but SWMBO re-arranged things and now the LPR is lost amongst 3 of my own porters. I can't tell which flippy contains which beer. :(

I'll have to review that one whenever I hit the lottery. The good news is that my chances of winning keep getting better the more porter I drink. :tank:

Gotcha....

I'm betting the honey pale ale is going to be flat. I tried a bottle last night during the brew sessions and it was tasting pretty flat to me. I haven't figured out how to dial in that beer gun exactly yet. :mad: :(

Dude said:
Gotcha....

I'm betting the honey pale ale is going to be flat. I tried a bottle last night during the brew sessions and it was tasting pretty flat to me. I haven't figured out how to dial in that beer gun exactly yet. :mad: :(

Can you just drop the pressure in the keg when you bottle with the beer gun? I did this when I bottled some of the Doppelbock with the picknic tap, for the WBF in Raleigh, and was surprised how little carbonation was lost.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Can you just drop the pressure in the keg when you bottle with the beer gun? I did this when I bottled some of the Doppelbock with the picknic tap, for the WBF in Raleigh, and was surprised how little carbonation was lost.

Kai

Well the pressure is already pretty low when it is being filled, like around 6-7 psi is where I fill it. I'm actually going to post a question in the beer gun thread to see how everyone else is doing it.

I tried another one when I got home from work and it is definitely pretty flat. That really bums me out. I wanted you guys to get a good sample of it.

TRIPLE reviews coming tonight for the collection of Dudebrau that I have.

BOSTON is coming over to share/sample, and SWMBO is going to add her own comments, too.

The sampling starts tonight @ about 9pm.

-walker

Walker-san said:
TRIPLE reviews coming tonight for the collection of Dudebrau that I have.

BOSTON is coming over to share/sample, and SWMBO is going to add her own comments, too.

The sampling starts tonight @ about 9pm.

-walker

Make sure you've got some turpentine on had to wash the taste out of your mouth. :D

j/k, of course.

we drank all of the beer. plus a few more commercial brews and a few other homebrews. I'll post reviews in a few minutes, but I have to pee like a russian race horse.

-walker

Walker-san said:
we drank all of the beer. plus a few more commercial brews and a few other homebrews. I'll post reviews in a few minutes, but I have to pee like a russian race horse.

-walker

Musta been one hellva leak!

I think Walker is suffering from "Snatch Patch" induced amnesia. Or perhaps a "Liquid Panty Remover" coma.
Jeff

maybe he had a life-threatening leg break followed by 6 hours of surgery on his way to the bathroom. i heard that can happen to racehorses sometimes...

well as we are late as well .. we finally got around to tasting some of your beer.

we tried the honey pale ale as beerluvngrl likes that kinda beer :)

both of us thought the aroma was really good..smelled great both in the bottle and in the glass.

not alot of head retention and sadly to say it was just a tad flat..

great flavor though.. you could taste the hint of sweetness from the honey and the slight bitterness as well.. very good beer and wished we had more of it.. needless to say we drank up what we had pretty quick!

we will be trying the rest soon im sure.. right now we both have been finishing off our keg of light honey ale as well as her beer that was ready today and going quickly.

im agreeing with sailman (since we kinda combined that post) i loved the honey pale ale.. i could definately have drank more of that if we had it..

i would be excited for you to try my beer dude.. we should try and get together sometime and swap some more!

tell the SWMBO hi for me! :)

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Serious question: Does it take a Russian race horse 48 hours to take a piss?

Nope.. It apparently takes him about two weeks. :)

Sorry about that. On the way back from the bathroom I found a bag of limes and a bottle of tequila. Things got a little crazy after that.

I've got the reviews somewhere here on my computer. If I can find them, I'll post them tonight. Else, I'll dig them up and post them tomorrow.

SERIOUSLY, I'll post them no later than tomorrow.

I wanted to expand on these comments some, but it's now been two weeks since I had these beers so that might be hard. Here's the exact notes I took when BOSTON came over and we sampled:

========================================================

Snatch Patch Ale

All: Flatter than Popeye's girlfriend, Olive Oil.

Walker: some sweetness, bitterness doesn't come out until the aftertaste. but I like the bitterness level.

Mrs. Walker: little sweet. not picking up much hops, but that might be because it is so flat.

BOSTON: if this had some bubbles, it would be really good.

Honey Wheat

All: Very light color, looks great. Nice light flavor, all agree that this would be an excellent hot weather beer.

Walker: aroma makes you want to start pulling big swigs. slight sourness, but very good. I can totally see how Kai interpreted this to be a Belgian Witt. I'll have another, please.

Mrs. Walker: expected to taste more "honey" in it, but really likes the beer.

BOSTON: Not a big wheat beer person, but this is very good. Low carbonation and hops, which is great. The hint of honey is great.

Liquid Panty Remover (aka; Coffee Toffee Milk Stout)

All: too thin. Not enough body for a stout. Great for a porter.

Walker: slight sweetness. taste of toffee right on the first few sips, but I lose it after that. Actually... I figured out that I had to inhale across the surface of the beer to pick up the toffee flavor on my tounge. If the taste was mor pronouced, it would kick some serious butt.

BOSTON: no toffee taste. very sweet.

Mrs. Walker: no tofee taste. sweetness was ok.

Genny/Ramon (Walker's sister-in-law and her boyfriend): sweet. like it a lot.
(walker's comment: you can't expect much out of Genny and Ramon on beer reviews. They drink just about anything and prefer light lagers.)

Honey Pale Ale

Walker: F*@KING EXCELLENT. Glad we opened this one last. God DAMN this is a great beer.

Mrs Walker: little cloudy, nice sweetness and hop character. Aroma is incredible. Sweet, floral nose.

BOSTON: send more, please!

Walker-san said:
Sorry about that. On the way back from the bathroom I found a bag of limes and a bottle of tequila.

****, man, you were unconscious for 2 weeks.......are you sure it wasn't a dime bag and a bottle of tequila?
Jeff

yeah.. there was a 'little' downburst storm that SLAMMED two neighborhoods in north Raleigh that night I was over at Kai's. It barely made the news, but it totally f*cked up my street and the one just east of us with 60 mph winds, torrential rain, hail, etc. The only thing really about it in the news was a story about down power lines (the MAIN ones the size of your arm) across I-540 that were laying on top of two cars.

I spent three days with a chainsaw and sore muscles cutting trees up and hauling them out of yards and to the street. Oak trees 3 foot in diameter ripped right out of the ground, 2-foot wide pine trees snapped off, cars/houses got smashed, etc.

I've got some pictures on my camera, but I can't find it right now. I'll post those when I locate the digi.

I, personally, had two pine trees break off. Clean up was a cinche, though... they landed 50 foot away in the neighbors yard. :D

-walker

edit: add this line to make this thread found with a search for Beerswap

Walker-san said:
I wanted to expand on these comments some, but it's now been two weeks since I had these beers so that might be hard. Here's the exact notes I took when BOSTON came over and we sampled:

========================================================

Snatch Patch Ale

All: Flatter than Popeye's girlfriend, Olive Oil.

Walker: some sweetness, bitterness doesn't come out until the aftertaste. but I like the bitterness level.

Mrs. Walker: little sweet. not picking up much hops, but that might be because it is so flat.

BOSTON: if this had some bubbles, it would be really good.

That beer is 9 months old. It was one of my first AG batches that turned out, unfortunately I had carbing issues with it from the get go. When it got judged in the comp 6 months later, it got marked down for oxidation and too much bitterness, IIRC.

Walker-san said:
Honey Wheat

All: Very light color, looks great. Nice light flavor, all agree that this would be an excellent hot weather beer.

Walker: aroma makes you want to start pulling big swigs. slight sourness, but very good. I can totally see how Kai interpreted this to be a Belgian Witt. I'll have another, please.

Mrs. Walker: expected to taste more "honey" in it, but really likes the beer.

BOSTON: Not a big wheat beer person, but this is very good. Low carbonation and hops, which is great. The hint of honey is great.

I think I hit the mark on this one, but I think I am going to try using a plain old cali ale yest instead of the WLP320 next time. That sourness almost spoiled the beer for me. I know it is supposed to be faint (for the style) but it was almost too much for me. Wonder if I could counteract that with something like brewing/winemaking acids or whatever?

Walker-san said:

Liquid Panty Remover (aka; Coffee Toffee Milk Stout)

All: too thin. Not enough body for a stout. Great for a porter.

Walker: slight sweetness. taste of toffee right on the first few sips, but I lose it after that. Actually... I figured out that I had to inhale across the surface of the beer to pick up the toffee flavor on my tounge. If the taste was mor pronouced, it would kick some serious butt.

BOSTON: no toffee taste. very sweet.

Mrs. Walker: no tofee taste. sweetness was ok.

Genny/Ramon (Walker's sister-in-law and her boyfriend): sweet. like it a lot.
(walker's comment: you can't expect much out of Genny and Ramon on beer reviews. They drink just about anything and prefer light lagers.)

Great stuff here guys. I totally agree on the too thin part. I was just getting my wings as an AG brewer, and I thank SwAMi for pointing out that I was mashing too low because my thermometer was faulty. After that my beers starting getting better body. :rockin: I wanted more coffee flavor in that beer, and it would have made it better, IMHO.

Walker-san said:

Honey Pale Ale

Walker: F*@KING EXCELLENT. Glad we opened this one last. God DAMN this is a great beer.

Mrs Walker: little cloudy, nice sweetness and hop character. Aroma is incredible. Sweet, floral nose.

KICKASS! As I said, this one is starting to get better, but again, I am having carb issues with it. I haven't quite dialed in the beergun yet. Some bottles are hit and miss. At the competition this past weekend, the bottle they judged they said the carbonation was fine. Most of the ones I have opened are a carpenter's dream--flatter than a board. I dunno. At any rate, this one is going to hit a peak real soon. I can definitely send you guys more, I have about 18 or so left.

Really though, THANK YOU for the cool comments. I know you guys really know beer so it is nice hearing that other people like some of it too.
I will definitely get some LWPA out to you guys.

Walker-san said:

Honey Pale Ale

Wow. I had one of these last night--I found a few lost bottles that weren't filled all the way due to Beer Gun issues, and I set them aside so I wouldn't send them to you guys. I'd hate for you to get 3/4 full beers!

Anyway, this is getting even better with age. I drank one last night and it was awesome to the last drop. I might have to rebrew this. I think I have 3 more "shorties" left. :D

Back