Info for my journey for heady topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave37

Reaction score
Hey guys i have family on the MA/NH border and and am going to be going there next weekend. As you know VT is not too far away and i am wondering if any of you can maybe give me an idea of how far north id have to drive into vermont to find a store where i could purchase some to take home.

Any info is much appreciated thanks.

BigBill said:
They have a map...

http://www.alchemistbeer.com/retail-availability/

You have to go pretty far north to Montpelier/Burlington/Waterbury to get it for sure. Closer to Canada than MA.

Yea im aware of the map...
I was just wondering if any local VTers knew of any other places to purchase it because i live in NYC and have local access to heady topper via a bar in brooklyn. $12 a can. That bar is not on their website so that lead me to believe there would be other places especially in VT that sold it.

OK, sorry to have misunderstood. Regarding your actual question (now that I understand) I think finding outside areas mentioned in VT is really tough. From reading the news they occasionally ship pallets to Boston (NY and Philly too) and I believe a limited number of cases get sent to each establishments e.g. case here or a case there which makes things go quickly so it is really tough to say which stores carry it because they get some and then it sells out. I rotate between 3/4 stores (2 in Boston near work, one great store in the suburbs, and a store near me that has a very good selection.) I've seen HT once and the store had a one can limit per customer so they didn't sell pout immediately. Seems like they even have a hard time keeping in stock in VT

http://www.vnews.com/home/5144605-95/heady-topper-beer-valley

Good luck in your search. If you find a good place let us know because I will be honest I've been contemplating the 7 hr round trip up to VT next time my wife takes the kids out of state to Grandma's. Or even 4hrs to Hill Farmstead, 1 hr to Alchemist, 3hrs home...

Thanks for the article man good read. Unfortunately it makes me much less optimistic about my ability to get a 4 pack into my fridge next weekend.

Who knows maybe ill get lucky. Thanks again

cheers

Just went up about a month ago to the Alchemist, took us about 3ish hours to get there. I'm on the border of MA and NH, don't know exactly where you are talking about, but I'm on the edge of Western/Central MA.

I have family in northfield MA which is about as north as u can get in MA. Literally a 5 minute drive to get into NH. Its a 3 hour drive for me to get there from where i live in NYC so i dont think id be up for another 3 hours. Was hoping there would be some spots that sold it in the southern vt area. Brattleboro, etc.

Im sure the trip was worth it?

I have family in northfield MA which is about as north as u can get in MA. Literally a 5 minute drive to get into NH. Its a 3 hour drive for me to get there from where i live in NYC so i dont think id be up for another 3 hours. Was hoping there would be some spots that sold it in the southern vt area. Brattleboro, etc.

Im sure the trip was worth it?

Heck yeah it was. Lots of good beer up there :)

If you are planning to head up to the Alchemist to pick up a few cases be aware that they can on Mondays and Thursday (last I checked) and they are usually sold out by
Wednesday and Friday afternoons! Plan ahead. I don't believe they limit anyone as to how many cases you can buy.

I called today the woman that answered said they last thru Friday or Saturday but on a holiday weekend your best bet is to get it by Thursday.

If you are planning to head up to the Alchemist to pick up a few cases be aware that they can on Mondays and Thursday (last I checked) and they are usually sold out by
Wednesday and Friday afternoons! Plan ahead. I don't believe they limit anyone as to how many cases you can buy.

I believe it's a one case limit per customer, and you need to get there on Thursday by 1 pm or it's sold out. I heard this from MrNickVT on here when I traded with him for some Heady. Not sure if they sell on Mondays. I would call the brewery and ask, but going straight to the brewery is your best bet. Even the stores listed on The Alchemist's website that stock Heady won't always have it in stock.

Yea im aware of the map...
I was just wondering if any local VTers knew of any other places to purchase it because i live in NYC and have local access to heady topper via a bar in brooklyn. $12 a can. That bar is not on their website so that lead me to believe there would be other places especially in VT that sold it.

Where in NYC can you get this? I'd be willing to spend $12 to try a can. Though it better be good! :)

Where in NYC can you get this? I'd be willing to spend $12 to try a can. Though it better be good! :)

It's pretty damn good, but not $12 a can good. I see it as the next Pliny the Elder...really solid beer, but still overhyped a bit.

There is a limit of 6 cases per person and are $72 per case. My friend was there a couple months ago. He said it was best to go on canning days, Monday or Thursday.

Dutch-windmills-with-vibrant-tulips.jpg

I believe it's a one case limit per customer, and you need to get there on Thursday by 1 pm or it's sold out. I heard this from MrNickVT on here when I traded with him for some Heady. Not sure if they sell on Mondays. I would call the brewery and ask, but going straight to the brewery is your best bet. Even the stores listed on The Alchemist's website that stock Heady won't always have it in stock.

There is no hard limit, I've been there and bought many cases at a time over the past few years. If they had a limit when someone was there it was probably b/c they were trying to buy in serious excess or they were running out of stock.

There is no hard limit, I've been there and bought many cases at a time over the past few years. If they had a limit when someone was there it was probably b/c they were trying to buy in serious excess or they were running out of stock.

Ahh, ok...thanks for clearing that up. Have never been but would like to make a trip up there to visit The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's...or at least try to find some Lawson's.

D_Nyholm said:

$12 a can is not that ridiculous when you think of NYC prices a bar in manhattan on a Saturday night and unare paying $8 for a corona. The place is in Brooklyn on 5th avenue a couple blocks away from the Barclays center. Unfortunately they don't let you leave the bar with an uncracked can I've tried. Uncle Barry's on 5th avenue between Bergen and st marks.

$12 a can is not that ridiculous when you think of NYC prices a bar in manhattan on a Saturday night and unare paying $8 for a corona. The place is in Brooklyn on 5th avenue a couple blocks away from the Barclays center. Unfortunately they don't let you leave the bar with an uncracked can I've tried. Uncle Barry's on 5th avenue between Bergen and st marks.

Thanks Dave! Might just have to head out there to try a few if it is as good as everyone says. I bet a phone call is in order before I go to make sure they have it!

My wife's aunt has has luck at center market in Burlington Mondays and Tuesdays but I think the Tuesday was by luck

D_Nyholm said:
Thanks Dave! Might just have to head out there to try a few if it is as good as everyone says. I bet a phone call is in order before I go to make sure they have it!

No problem man hope they have it and you enjoy it.

Back