homebrew has ruined me for public drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
Now when I go bars even if I get a decent microbrew it will taste "chemically" to me.

Do these places put preservatives in, are the lines dirty, is it all in my head, or all of the above?

I have never had a bad microbrew at a bar, but most of the bars I goto take great pride in cleaning their lines every week, so their tap beer tastes just as good as out of the bottle if not better.

No brewery that I am aware of adds preservatives to their beer. If a beer you have had previously tastes "different" it may be attributed their
line cleanliness.

No brewery that I am aware of adds preservatives to their beer. If a beer you have had previously tastes "different" it may be attributed their
line cleanliness.

Every brewery adds preservatives to their beer. These preservatives can significantly impact the flavor. Preservatives can make a beer taste bitter, spicy, citrusy, resiny, piney, floral, herbal, earthy, roasty, toasty, bready, or chocolatey.

If you're not sure what I'm getting at, hops are preservatives. They have antibacterial properties that favor yeast over other microorganisms during fermententation.

Kilned and roasted malts also contain preservatives. The chemicals that give malts their dark colors are flavonoids. These polyphenols are antioxidents. As antioxidents, they inhibit oxidation, which makes beers stale. Hops also contain antioxidents, but in an insignificant amount compared to malts.

Finings such as Irish moss, gelatin, and isinglass are also preservatives. By precipitating proteins, they extend the shelf life of a beer.

I know exactly what you mean. After my first homebrew which I was very proud of, I went to my local bar and had a craft beer on tap, my "regular" beer, and I couldnt believe how bad it tasted. It had a distinct twang to it that i had never tasted before. Several friends who were drinking my brew with me tasted the same thing in the bar beer, so it was just me or in my head. One of my friends jokingly said that I "ruined him of all other beers", haha. I noticed this again after I made a pale ale, I had a glass of it and then had a bottle of Sierra Nev PA, it tasted burnt and very off (although thats probably due to the pasteurization procede which can give bottled or canned beer a burnt flavor) For some reason home brew changes your pallet, or at least it does with us.

It could be the freshness of the HB compared to the other beers that might be several weeks or months old. Its no different than eating a batch of cookies you made yourself compared to ones you bought at the store- if you know what youre doing yours will taste far superior and much more fresh, because after all, they are!

I wonder if you're just missing the yeastier taste most homebrewed beers have? So much commercial beer is filtered, and at least my homebrew has a much stronger yeast presence.

I'm betting it's all in your head. You like your beer and everything that you taste is being compared to that.
When I'm out and I have a beer, it's really more about the company and having a good time then the quality of the beer.
I do look for the best thing they have on tap and sometimes it's pretty damn good, but going out for a beer is more about having a good time than finding great beer.

I vote for all in your head. I've been drinking craft beers, and macro beers for 25+ Years and been brewing for several of them, and a well crafted beer, is a well crafted beer, regardless of whether it was made by you, a macrobrewy a craft brewery or the local brew pub. Granted even commercial beer can be infected, or suffer from dirty lines......But that's going to be the minority, rather than the majority.

I think what you're having is what's often called a "Pink Cloud" experience. This is all new, and everything homebrewing is bright and shiny, and your (excuse the metaphor) poop doesn't stink (or in this case your yeast farts ;)). And I think eventually the "high" will mellow, and things will be more "real." And you'll have a more down to earth perspective on things. This is common to anything...You've heard about it in religion I'm sure, or even quitting smoking....the new convert is often the most annoying, because they've gone from one extreme to the other, but eventually they'll swing back to the middle. You'll start to taste well crafted and excellent beers other than homebrew once again, and maybe even realize that some of yours and other people's homewbrew can often taste like crap too.

Now when I go bars even if I get a decent microbrew it will taste "chemically" to me.

Do these places put preservatives in, are the lines dirty, is it all in my head, or all of the above?

For me the key is finding a great beer bar, I mean I'll tolerate beer from anywhere but the best beer is from the bars that have a good cleaning system, and management and bartenders who care. If you can find a place that has one of those awesome things that shoot water into the beer glasses you're even better off.

As far as the difference between Craft and Micro there isn't a whole lot of a difference between the 2. Biggest difference if you're me is that you enjoy something you make more.

This is interesting, because one of the things I really like about homebrewing is trying to replicate a beer I've tried out in public with one or two adjustments. Not all beers, of course; there are a lot I love "as-is" but then there are some I think I would really enjoy if one thing were changed.

Maybe when you're brewing for yourself you're adding that "something" that you like whether you're conscious of it or not. Probably wouldn't explain the chemical taste you mention - mostly just a thought on why you would like your beers so much better. I generally enjoy mine at home more than going out, but it all depends.

I like to think that because we, as homebrewers, are not really on a strictly controlled budget with the necessity of keeping costs down to the bare minimum in order to produce a certain product, A lot of us may tend to use higher ratios of malts to water than any commercial brewer generally does so, often, our brews are a bit richer and more flavourful by comparison.

I like to think that because we, as homebrewers, are not really on a strictly controlled budget with the necessity of keeping costs down to the bare minimum in order to produce a certain product, A lot of us may tend to use higher ratios of malts to water than any commercial brewer generally does so, often, our brews are a bit richer and more flavourful by comparison.

Craft breweries don't worry too much about the cost side of things. They would be willing and able to use any grain bill we use and do it cheaper.
They also are able to have control units that give them consistency that we strive for.
Where applicable they can filter also which is something that most home brews don't get.

To be honest, I don't think BMC is overly concerned about the cost of the grain bill.
They pay a tiny fraction of what we pay for grain due to the volume they use. They also will charge based on what it costs.
If they had a recipe that would sell well but cost twice as much to make, they would make it and up the cost so that it was at least as profitable as their main beer lineup.

A friend and I have had the same experience of drinking a few bottles of home brew PA and then had one of my preferred store bought beers, we were both shocked at how bad the the flavour and chemical after taste we were experiencing, those beers got poured down the sink. I can only hope that with a fresh pallet I might be able to enjoy a bought beer again. It's not in your head but in your taste buds.

It's cute baby syndrome. Everyone thinks their baby is cute - regardless of the truth.

The reality is that I can make good beer - but my pro-brewer friends with automated large scale systems can make just as good or better beer.

It's in your head man.

Apec - what beer did you drink after your homebrew?

The only thing here is BMC, so anything i make is better lol. Out side of that i dont seem to get the hangover from my brew.

I vote for all in your head. I've been drinking craft beers, and macro beers for 25+ Years and been brewing for several of them, and a well crafted beer, is a well crafted beer, regardless of whether it was made by you, a macrobrewy a craft brewery or the local brew pub. Granted even commercial beer can be infected, or suffer from dirty lines......But that's going to be the minority, rather than the majority.

I think what you're having is what's often called a "Pink Cloud" experience. This is all new, and everything homebrewing is bright and shiny, and your (excuse the metaphor) poop doesn't stink (or in this case your yeast farts ;)). And I think eventually the "high" will mellow, and things will be more "real." And you'll have a more down to earth perspective on things. This is common to anything...You've heard about it in religion I'm sure, or even quitting smoking....the new convert is often the most annoying, because they've gone from one extreme to the other, but eventually they'll swing back to the middle. You'll start to taste well crafted and excellent beers other than homebrew once again, and maybe even realize that some of yours and other people's homewbrew can often taste like crap too.

Agreed--one of my absolute favorite beers is one made by my wife's cousin's nanobrewery, a bourbon-barrel aged porter that is almost unthinkably good. It's about a billion times better than any porter I've ever made. I think I could probably get close to it if I bothered to buy a bourbon barrel and age the stuff for six months the way they do, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it. Fact is, the best breweries (be they nano, micro, or, god forbid, larger) make damn fine beer, as good or better than anything we make...whether that fits with your personal preferences is another thing, and if you're so happy with your beers that you never want another, so be it. But I highly doubt it's anything to do with the breweries or the taproom.

brycelarson said:
It's cute baby syndrome. Everyone thinks their baby is cute - regardless of the truth.

The reality is that I can make good beer - but my pro-brewer friends with automated large scale systems can make just as good or better beer.

It's in your head man.

Apec - what beer did you drink after your homebrew?

We had Carlton draught

and there is nothing snobbish about it either. Most of us get into brewing because we want to explore the horizons of flavor, and stay in it because we love what we brew (otherwise whats the point? lets all go buy our beer). It's natural for you to compare what others brew to yours, because yours has been(will be) developed to suit your taste. Also there is NO reason you can't brew better beer than whats commercially available.....and don't listen to anyone who tells you, you cant Period.:)

Just because I happen to like my own beer doesn't mean I can't enjoy what others make, I'm just harder on them. I'm sure there are beers out there than you will really enjoy, you just have to find them. Plus you could consider it brewing research;o) enjoyable research!!!

it could all be "in your head", BUT

I have often experienced "off" flavors from bar glassware. Many bars use a double dunk wash system followed by a quick sanitize/dry cycle. Done correctly the process should leave clean residue free glasses....but often corners are cut, and the sanitizing/wash solution isn't rinsed well ...it can be tasted. For me it is very easy to notice in wine...and bit less in beer.

The only thing here is BMC, so anything i make is better lol. Out side of that i dont seem to get the hangover from my brew.

Really? In a city that size? How many places sell beer within a 5 mile radius?
For me, it's miles between anything that you find. Stores, gas stations, you name it.
I can't imagine that in an area as big as you are there aren't hundreds of beers available within a few miles.

There is a great craft brew scene in NYC.....508 GastroBrewery is a great Place, their head brewer is a great guy;) Also south of you in NJ we have an expanding craft brew scene (Carton Brewing and Kane Brewing are close to where I live), get out and try the Nano Breweries if you want cutting edge great beer. Consider it research:D

This may get at a more general premise I was surprised there was any debate about. I discovered years and years ago (and I take this to be an obvious truth) -- you can get away w/ more if you drink nicer booze.

Whether it's beer wine or spirits, higher quality = less ill effects.

Amazingly I talked to a friend tonight who claimed this was untrue, that 6 beers of ANY beer were equal.

I was shocked, I know this guy well and this is total insanity to me.

Starting to compare homebrew to microbrew the difference may be smaller but the overall idea to me is the same. I know the homebrew is ultra fresh, minimally processed, and high quality, and thus very hard to compete with.

To get down to the nitty gritty, when talking quantity consumption, higher quality (here meaning homebrew) will have better immediate and 2nd day effects than anything else -- as compared to other microbrews and even moreso compared to macrobrews.

If anything, I find my homebrew never matches up to the beers I really enjoy. Maybe its just me being extremely hard on myself, but I don't really know. I find myself focusing on the fact that it doesn't taste the same, rather than enjoying the flavors that are actually there. I guess we're all our own worst critic though.

Anybody else have the same feelings?

If anything, I find my homebrew never matches up to the beers I really enjoy. Maybe its just me being extremely hard on myself, but I don't really know. I find myself focusing on the fact that it doesn't taste the same, rather than enjoying the flavors that are actually there. I guess we're all our own worst critic though.

i second this :tank:

i have had too many brews to count that others truely enjoy (or atleast thats what i hear) but i find soooooo many faults with. little things i want to tinker with but after hearing good things i am afraid to.

i have also had beers that i brewed that i despise but have gotten good reviews so it makes me want to make it again but i wont drink it haha

so i probably wont make it again

I'm a good brewer and make some really tasty beers - but I'm not going to pretend that I have the knowledge or equipment to brew better beer than my pro-brewer friends. I drink beers made by german trained brewers with years of professional brewing experience with automated systems that are spectacular. If they were brewing beers specifically tuned to my tastes they would be better than mine - I don't doubt that. The reason that many of us like our home brews better than many commercial beers is that we're making beer specifically for US.

For example, there are oats in nearly every beer I make. It's a preference thing. I like the mouthfeel that oats give to a beer - so I put it in. It's totally inappropriate for some styles - but it's my beer, so I can do what I want. A commercial brewery has a set list of beers that it's drinkers expect it to produce and a style and theme that it tends to work in - if you happen to line up with those styles then great - but that's luck. I can nearly gaurnatee that if I were to hand over a recipe that I love to make and had a pro brewer with full temp, water control etc as well as a lab for yeast analysis he or she could make it better than I can.

There is a great craft brew scene in NYC.....508 GastroBrewery is a great Place, their head brewer is a great guy;) Also south of you in NJ we have an expanding craft brew scene (Carton Brewing and Kane Brewing are close to where I live), get out and try the Nano Breweries if you want cutting edge great beer. Consider it research:D

Carton is fantastic. They're growing into one of my favorite breweries. Have you been to the brewery? One of my favorite things they did there was they had beer from their "Tippy" which is their experimental beers. Since I went before their anniversary I got to have their anniversary ale while it was still very experimental (I think they changed what kind of hops they used)

It's not you being extremely hard on yourself. A great brewer has worked a long time perfecting their beer. If you brewed the same 5 or 6 beers for many years tens of hundreds of times, you would get awesome at making a great beer too. I'm very happy with my brewing results. But I know that if I brew a Fat Tire clone, it just won't quite be as good.

Yup.....I love carton, gotten my growler filled their a few times. I like how they seem willing to brew outside the box, for instance their Peanut butter and jelly beer (which was awesome).Brewer there seem really down to earth, and friendly. Auggie the owner is a great guy too!

Latest posts

Back