If I brew a small beer to use the yeast for a bigger beer, do I add hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I need to make a small beer to use the yeast for a Dopplebock. Do I add hops to the small beer?

Are you going to drink the smaller beer? If not, no need.

More importantly, who's in your profile pic?!? :eek:

General rule is that you want to make sure you're stepping up, as in a lighter beer to a darker beer, less hops to more hops, lower gravity to higher gravity.

Yes, hop it if you want to drink it. I've done a 2 gallon pils with 1.040 OG and about 15IBU Mt Hood and used the cake for a dopplebock, for example. The pils was drinkable, but I took my time and fermented it out and crash cooled before racking to keg and dumping my doppelbock wort on the cake in my 5gal carboy.

Yes, hop it if you want to drink it. I've done a 2 gallon pils with 1.040 OG and about 15IBU Mt Hood and used the cake for a dopplebock, for example. The pils was drinkable, but I took my time and fermented it out and crash cooled before racking to keg and dumping my doppelbock wort on the cake in my 5gal carboy.

What yeast did you use? I want to use WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast for the Dopplebock.

Latest posts

Back