Controlling temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrybeggs

Reaction score
I am starting my first beer here in the next couple of weeks, and I need to find a place for it to ferment. The only place in my house that is consistently one temperature is my basement, but it is around 64 degrees all the time. Will this work?

yeah it should be fine. check the yeast to see its optimum temp range to be safe.

Depends on what you are brewing and what type of yeast you are using. 64F will work great for a lot of beers/yeast.

RCCOLA said:
Just make sure to pitch at 64F also. Even if you have to wait awhile for it to cool.

Why is that? Temperature shock, off flavors, etc.? I'm glad that will work, having an unfinished basement worked out for once.

Why is that? Temperature shock, off flavors, etc.? I'm glad that will work, having an unfinished basement worked out for once.

Most yeast-derived flavors occur during the initial growth phase. Some people pitch at 86F and may not see fermentation activity until the beer has cooled, but during that time off-flavors can be produced by the yeast.

RCCOLA said:
Most yeast-derived flavors occur during the initial growth phase. Some people pitch at 86F and may not see fermentation activity until the beer has cooled, but during that time off-flavors can be produced by the yeast.

All right, I'll be sure to keep the candy thermometer handy. What is a reasonably sized brew vessel? I saw some 12 quart pots at Target today for relatively cheap.

12 quart pot is fine if your doing extract and are going to add water back. Plus, you can use it for other things beside brewing.

Back