Group grain buy Pittsburgh / Western PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the meantime, if anyone has any luck getting an account, I have a place in Monroeville to receive it.

It seems that opening a new account is somewhat difficult. I've been following another thread where someone is trying. It seems that Country Malt requires a registered business name, a tax ID number and either a check or credit card in the businesses name.

It seems that opening a new account is somewhat difficult. I've been following another thread where someone is trying. It seems that Country Malt requires a registered business name, a tax ID number and either a check or credit card in the businesses name.

Link to thread please?

Does it matter what the actual business is?

There has been a lot of interest in the past few months. I would bet we could put together two pallets.

I'm in for 4, maybe 5.

There has been a lot of interest in the past few months. I would bet we could put together two pallets.

I'm in for 4, maybe 5.

Probably at least 2 pallets. I'd be in for 10 sacks. We just need to find someone who owns a business and is willing to open an account. Since you can receive it, we're part way there.

Im going to post here again (so that I may keep my spot in ‘line’) and say that I would be in for around 5 sacks, since I was right outside the window for the first buy.

I don’t have access to a business or I’d be investigating further. Seems like we just need a business’ check or credit card and someone to do the legwork of setting up an account and ordering, since we have a receiver available (Dmace).

I am about 15 minutes away from Monroeville (White Oak), and would be willing to help out sorting/splitting/distributing if you need help.

I've expressed my interest in this thread before but I'll do so again. I'd be in for 4 sacks.

I live in Monroeville so I could definitely help if that's where the delivered ends up going.

I would be in for about a sack of 2-row and a sack of MO. I'm about an hr out of pitt so I wouldn't be able to help with sorting. I could help deliver bulk amount further NE of pitt to Indiana, PA for pick up if anyone around my area would be interested.

So I'm doing some digging. Yesterday I got in touch with bugman. Thanks for the help bugman. Right now I'm trying to get in touch with sleepy to see if we could use his account if we take care of the finances and such. Dmace...are you still able to accept shipment in Monroeville. I would like to get this rolling. Is there still interest?

dand9066 and DMace, thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. You can put me down for 4 bags.

bja said:
Yes. I ran out of grain about a month ago. I'll be in for about 10 bags.

DMace said:
Absolutely.

trent_77590 said:
Oh man! I am in for a few bags. Probably a Vienna and 2-row

Alright. I think I may have found a phone number for sleepy's business. Will try to reach him later. No need for everyone to post what they want yet. If I can get the info I'll start organizing a spreadsheet and start a Pitt group buy 2. Let me know if I'm stepping on anyone's foot that would like to organize.

Sleepy is alive. I spoke with him a little while ago. Forgive him as he's been away from the forum for sometime! Long story short he doesn't need grain but he's going to call Country Malt and take his card off file and give me the info needed to order. As soon as I hear back from him I'll let you know and get a new thread started for ROUND 2.

I believe I'm going to copy other city group buy ideas and try and make this as simple yet organized as possible.

...for now RDWHAHB

Hey all - I didn't realize there was anything going on in this thread, sorry! Anyway, I do NOT have an account with North Country Malt and never did. I was just the "ship to, organize, and pick-up guy" . Bugman was the one with the account. He set up the order, took all the money and sent me an excel sheet with what everyone ordered and payed for. Then, all the guys came to my place to pick up. I sorted and stored everything for everyone.

Unfortunately, that bay of my shop is now filled up so I don't really have a good space to sort/store 80+ bags of grain again.

I have been out of grain from that last group buy since sept/oct last year. AND I have belly to prove it :D

Good luck with the order. I will say that there were really no problems last time. The biggest pain in the A$$ is sorting everything, as they are tightly stacked on pallets by the type of grain and you basically have to just unload and stack all of it according to type, then go back through and sort it into piles of "who gets what". It requires quite a bit of space.... and a strong back!

Take care all and good brewing to you!

sleepystevenson said:
Hey all - I didn't realize there was anything going on in this thread, sorry! Anyway, I do NOT have an account with North Country Malt and never did. I was just the "ship to, organize, and pick-up guy" . Bugman was the one with the account. He set up the order, took all the money and sent me an excel sheet with what everyone ordered and payed for. Then, all the guys came to my place to pick up. I sorted and stored everything for everyone.

Unfortunately, that bay of my shop is now filled up so I don't really have a good space to sort/store 80+ bags of grain again.

I have been out of grain from that last group buy since sept/oct last year. AND I have belly to prove it :D

Good luck with the order. I will say that there were really no problems last time. The biggest pain in the A$$ is sorting everything, as they are tightly stacked on pallets by the type of grain and you basically have to just unload and stack all of it according to type, then go back through and sort it into piles of "who gets what". It requires quite a bit of space.... and a strong back!

Take care all and good brewing to you!

Sorry sleepy. Had ur usernames mixed up. Thanks for the help though.

Bruwsomtin said:
so you talked to bugman and it is his account you are using.

I've talked to bug and sleepystevenson. Sleepy had the warehouse and bug has the acct. bug said he was going to contact cm to get his card off file. Then I will have to use his acct to order on my card. I'm waiting on bug to get back to me by email or phone to figure the dealing with cm out.

Im in for helping sort, stack, split as necessary. Whatever it takes to get this ball rolling. I am in for multiple sacks, splitting batches similar to sleepy/bug did if people are interested in half sacks of vienna, munich, etc. Would even be cool with splitting up crystals if there is enough interest (maybe 10 people want 5 lbs each of crystal 10/20).

I am sick of paying LHBS prices for grain!

I am also willing to help with any sorting/stacking. I live in Monroeville so I'm close to the delivery point.

How do you guys typically store your full sacks of grain? I use air tight containers (Vittles Vaults I believe) right now, but they are pretty expensive and I only have 2. I'd like to stock up as much as possible but not sure about storage.

fredtheseal said:
I am also willing to help with any sorting/stacking. I live in Monroeville so I'm close to the delivery point.

How do you guys typically store your full sacks of grain? I use air tight containers (Vittles Vaults I believe) right now, but they are pretty expensive and I only have 2. I'd like to stock up as much as possible but not sure about storage.

5 gallon buckets from Lowes. Also old plastic ale pails decommissioned from fermenting.

I use food grade 6 gallon (plus some 5 gallon) with gamma seal lids, or use a mylar (food grade) liner for buckets that aren't food-grade. (I've gotten a bunch of my food grade buckets from my local organic food co-op for less than $1/each.) For specialty grains, I use a vacuum sealer and break it up into likely usable chunks, e.g. 1# for things like C60, C120, etc. Here's a couple of pictures. The last picture is about a third of the grain I bought in the last Syracuse area buy (I live near Albany NY but have family in Pittsburgh). Until I get around to allocating it to buckets (need two 6 gallon buckets per sack), I'm storing it in big plastic bins. I have the buckets needed but am working on sealing a bunch of specialty grains first.

I hope you guys get this going, it's great getting the grains at a greatly reduced price, and it makes it just so easy to just go to the basement, grab the bucket of 2-row (or Maris Otter, Vienna, Munich, etc) along with a grabbing a couple specialty grains (C15, C40, C60, C120, C150, carapils, amber, aromatic, ...) and your on your way. [The downside is the large assortment of bins and buckets, the freezer half full with hops and the refrigerator half full with washed yeast!]. Also, if you get a regular thing going, I might participate as I visit family in Pittsburgh a few times a year!

grain 1.jpg

grain 3.jpg

grain 6.jpg

Hi! First time jumping on this thread. Depending on cost, I may be in for 2 or 3 sacks of 2row. Gives me a reason to buy a grain mill! LOL

I see you are using the spreadsheet (or something similar as I don't have access to it) to what we used in the Syracuse area buy. It worked great, just remember to have folks also post (if possible) what they did in the forum as it helps to make sense of the changes in the spreadsheet.

Good luck on your buy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see you at 2 or 3 pallets (on our last one we did 4)! Also, you should take advantage of the awesome price on Star San (can get it in sets of 4 gallons, item 5S‐STAR4) and PBW (item 5S‐PBW50, 50# bag). The PBW is a somewhat of a pain however it that it is one big bag and would need to be split up (and you want to wear a mask to do so). These also take space on the pallet and reduce the # of sacks you can get (but all the more reason to get to multiple pallets!) :)

copyright1997 said:
I see you are using the spreadsheet (or something similar as I don't have access to it) to what we used in the Syracuse area buy. It worked great, just remember to have folks also post (if possible) what they did in the forum as it helps to make sense of the changes in the spreadsheet.

Good luck on your buy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see you at 2 or 3 pallets (on our last one we did 4)! Also, you should take advantage of the awesome price on Star San (can get it in sets of 4 gallons, item 5S‐STAR4) and PBW (item 5S‐PBW50, 50# bag). The PBW is a somewhat of a pain however it that it is one big bag and would need to be split up (and you want to wear a mask to do so). These also take space on the pallet and reduce the # of sacks you can get (but all the more reason to get to multiple pallets!) :)

I pretty much went off your Syracuse template. Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back