First taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanzelbin

Reaction score
After a very nasty day at the office, I've just opened my first bottle from my first brew slightly more than two weeks earlier than I'd planned.

This particular bottle was only sealed with a wine stopper so wasn't expecting much fizz, and indeed you can only detect anything once on the tongue - no bubbles or head in the glass at all. I was concerned I hadn't added enough priming sugar as well, but won't be sure til I open one of the properly capped bottles.

Despite this, it tastes great (if I do say so myself) and is clear as anything. In fact, it looks just like a large glass of whisky as it sits happily on my desk while I type these words.

I love this brewing thing, and can't wait to get some more going. Very pleased with the bitterness but not as strong and malty as I would ideally like, so will adjust accordingly.

Happy brewing

:mug:

Dave

Congrats! :mug: There is nothing like that first great homebrew when you can say 'I made this!?' If you think it's great now, give it a couple more weeks - assuming it lasts that long. :D My first batch was completely gone within 4 weeks of the brew date.

First off, congrats.

Second...don't rush it.

Fermentation and carbonation are natural process that can't be rushed without consequences. Give it time to do it's thing and you'll be a better brewer for it.

What temp are you conditioning the bottles at? Try to stay in the 70-72F range for 3 weeks.

Unlike Brad, the only brews I've had ready to drink in that time were Hefe Weizens. Anything elst is 6-8 weeks, some longer.

Last night I had 2 HWs that I brewed last Sep. They were both great tasting. I have 4 left from that batch.

wanzelbin said:
Very pleased with the bitterness but not as strong and malty as I would ideally like, so will adjust accordingly.

Feel free to post the recipe and people will help you make the proper adjustments.

if you used any corn sugar/dextrose in the primary fermentation, that'll reduce the malt flavor. Sugar lends alcohol, but no body or flavor (besides a pure alcohol flavor which usually isn't noticed until it hits a certain level).

Congrats on a successful first brew!

Thanks very much everyone.

I'm going to try and leave the rest a couple more weeks, but as I said, it had been a very bad work day ;)

The "recipe" was as follows:

3lb of Brupaks Amber Malt Extract boiled in 1 and a half gallons of water.
Brewer's Gold hops - 3/4 oz at hot break, 1/4 oz at +30 min, 1/4 at +50 min.
Reduced to about 1 gallon. Lost some in a brief boil over...
Added to another 1 and a half gallons of pre-boiled water in fermentation bucket. Cooled to 72F.
Added Safale no. 4 yeast.

Bubbled for a couple of days then I left in primary for another 2 and a half weeks.

Added 1oz of "Body Brew" sugar brought to boil in a little bit of water for priming immediately before bottling.

Back