Bacon Beer? Why Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thodson2010

MadBrewer
Reaction score
So call me crazy, but I have had the urge recently to try brewing a bacon flavored beer. Not overly bacon-y, but a nice subtle smoke/pepper/applewood to it.

This is by far not a deffinate recipe, but heres what im thinking:

Partial Mash

Fermentables

1lb Black Malt
.5lb English Roasted Barley
.25 Chocolate Malt
---All at 150* ish for 30 minutes
6 lbs. Dark Malt Syrup
1-2 lbs. Dark DME

Hop Profile
1 oz Cluster @60
.5 oz Willamette @ 40
.5 oz Willamette @10

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Then at Bottling, add the magic Potion-

Magic potion consists of a bourbon solution that has been "Fat Washed"
(cooked applewood bacon w/ lots of pepper let sit in a jar of bourbon overnight. Then next day remove bacon, then sit in freezer to solidify fat.)
Mix the bourbon with a little more pepper, maybe some "bacon salt" and bring to a boil. Cool and add to bottling.

Maybe bottle with a mixture of molassis and brown sugar?

idk, i think thats it for now. Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Awesome, let us know how it goes. I'm always down for hearing about a bacon beer. Someday I'll do one myself.

I think I've heard of other people baking the bacon in the oven on a rack so the grease drips off and they can use the bacon from there to "dry hog". Although the bacon/bourbon combo sounds pretty awesome.

Raunchier tastes alot like bacon. Super simple to make just use 100% bamberg malt.

There is an excellent Maple/Bacon Porter on here somewhere. I'd start with that before diving in with a recipe written from scratch.

I made a similar beer but also included some smoked malt, I think it complemented the bacon well. I used nearly a full liter of bourbon and 1 lb of bacon. I think the bourbon was a bit overpowering. next time I'll use less bourbon and sub vodka if I need more volume. the freezing technique worked great for me. I strained with a cheese cloth and have excellent head retention. Primed with 9oz of grade b maple syrup. Good luck, its a great tasting beer and its fun to tell the story to friends/family!

Needs more bacon, and more contact time with the liquor. There's a high-end bar in my area that has an array of infused liquors behind the bar, one of which is bacon-bourbon. The bacon sits in there for weeks and the stuff makes one mean cocktail. I'd give it a solid week of contact time before freezing. Anything worth doing...

Trying adding some smoked malt. Last november I was at the hard rock cafe in vegas at a craft brew tasting (awesome btw) and tried a bacon beer. It was genius! Also very very rich and even slightly salty. But good nonetheless! Brew it!!

-BobbyB

thodson2010 said:
Maybe bottle with a mixture of molassis and brown sugar?

Watch out for this. You don't want to add too many fermentables at the bottling stage! Sounds like some good flavoring additions though!

-BobbyB

Back