Ultimate Hopstopper for a 20 gal Blichmann E-BK???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtfeld

Reaction score
Have a new 20 gal Blichmann BK that I'm converting to an E-BK. However, trying to design a better hop stopper/blocker. Since its going to be electric with a LWD 5500W element in it running from back to front, I was going to design what i termed a "double hop taco", a hop taco on each side of the element connected to a tee fitting before going out the front valve. But I thought this was overly complex.

Since I wont be heating the bottom with a flame and the element will be above the false bottom, no reason I can't have a false bottom or a screen covering the entire bottom. Would be over 300 Sq In of surface area, so hopefully clogging wouldn't be a problem. I'll use the original dip tube supplied to pull from under the bottom.

I thought support might be an issue with the weight of several ounces of wet hop and break material, so my current thinking is to lay the SS mesh on top of a false bottom. I was thinking of just using a peice of preforated SS for support and 30x 30 SS mesh for the filter. Both materials to be purchased from McMaster or similar.

My solution needs to work for pellets, leaf, plugs or any combination thereof.

Has anyone built a false bottom screen hopstopper/blocker? How did it work? Problems encountered?

Double Hop taco.jpg

Im knocking Kal off and he has been a great inspiration as well as resource. I love the idea of the hop stopper, but reading other reviews brings up some very minor issues.

The biggest drawback based on reading a lot of reviews concerns cleaning the Hopstopper/taco. Getting all the little bits of hop pellet out of the inside seems to be an issue for some. Considering this thing is sewn or crimped together, I would think there would inevitably be small hop peices left inside.

I'm thinking of simplicity both in use and in the clean up. I can buy a 24"x24" 30x30 mesh in 316 SS for $30, cut it to fit and just lay it on either the blichmann or a peice of preforated sheet for support.

The advantages on paper? 1) Very large surface area, 2) simple to build and clean.

The disadvantages are (I'm guessing here) 1) Its unproven at least in my BK 2) Leaking around the edges 3) who knows...

Seems so simple that I thought someone might have tried this. If not I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this:eek:.

If any one has ideas or wants to throw out some design considerations, I'm all ears.

In the mean time, I have (2) 12" squares of 30x30 mesh I bought to build the double taco. I'm going to try to return to Mc master and get the 24" square instead

Here goes nothin'!

Returned the 12"x12" sheets of 30x30 316SS mesh and purchased a 24"x24" peice instead for $10 more. Tonight I cut it to fit and added a hole where the dip tube can slide through.

Now trying to decide if I can just set it in tle kettle and boil away or should I add some sort of frame and or support so it doesn't sag. I thought about just bolting on several 1/2" tall "legs" made out of stainless bar stock.

Also, would like to encapsulate the mesh edge to give it a more finished look and also to seal against the side of the pot. Anyone have ideas on material and how that might be done?

Here's the photos, kinda hard to see the 30x 30 mesh though its there.

DSC_4329.800x600.JPG

DSC_4345.800x600.JPG

DSC_4331.800x600.JPG

Not really...it leaked around the edges and clogged my pump. I moved on to other gadgets but I'm going to come back to this this winter.

I either need an edge to seal around the edge if I ned a frame to attach it to

Ideas?

Edge grip from mcmaster carr. I use it on my blink fb in my al pot

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

Egde grip??? Got a part number our something I could look up?

Not really...it leaked around the edges and clogged my pump. I moved on to other gadgets but I'm going to come back to this this winter.

I either need an edge to seal around the edge if I ned a frame to attach it to

Ideas?

Put your screen on top of the Blichmann false bottom. It will provide a solid surface for it to sit upon.

I'm liking this...gonna buy some silicone edge grip to play around with. I'll report back.

Merry Christmas.

You could try the hop stopper I built (see the link in my signature). It costs $10 and worked great with leaf hops. I haven't tried it with pellet hops yet, but I think it would work OK.

DSCN2116.JPG

So any progress on this? I was thinking of exactly the same thing you were.

I would like to recirculate back to the bk after the plate chiller to help cool down faster. It might also help filter cold break better.

No progress on this as i have been cleaning up the details of my BCS build and programming that...and most importantly BREWING BEER!!!!:mug:

Its on the list of to do ...but I'm whirlpooling for the time being and that is working very well, but takes an extra 30-45 minutes.

Back