My 1st Dubbel Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
Please take a look at my Belgian Dubbel. I have been searching online for dubbel recipes, and it seems that the majority of them do not fit within the BJCP style parameters. Mostly, they are too dark for the style. I decided to put my own together to keep within the style. I am brewing this no sparge, so that is why the efficiency is so low. Also, do I boil the candi for the entire 60 minutes? Let me know what you think.

Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.14 gal
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 16.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Mash at 150F

7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
0.18 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.80 %] (15 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214)

I think its a bit silly to get hung up on brewing to style when you talk Belgians, very few of the best commercial examples fit the BJCP guidelines either.

Your recipe will mae a solid Dubbel I think. Are those dark candi rocks or candi syrup? I think the syrup does a much better job, more flavor etc... I'd up it to .5-.75 lbs. You can add it at any point in the boil, for ease I tend to add it to the kettle as the sparge drains.

I would probably up the Munich or drop it, .25 lbs won't add much character.

Otherwise looks solid, good luck.

I think its a bit silly to get hung up on brewing to style when you talk Belgians, very few of the best commercial examples fit the BJCP guidelines either.

Your recipe will mae a solid Dubbel I think. Are those dark candi rocks or candi syrup? I think the syrup does a much better job, more flavor etc... I'd up it to .5-.75 lbs. You can add it at any point in the boil, for ease I tend to add it to the kettle as the sparge drains.

I would probably up the Munich or drop it, .25 lbs won't add much character.

Otherwise looks solid, good luck.

Thank you. This is my first Belgian, so I thought I should at least try for the style guidlines. I really don't care about the guidlines. I just want to brew good beer.
I have not bought my ingredients yet, but at my LHBS I have seen hard candi. I will check for the syrup, though.
I think I will play with the recipe a little more and maybe up the Munich. I have two beers to brew ahead of this one, but I am excited to get to this.
Thanks for your help

There are lots of sugars to play with, if you can't get candi syrup you might want to try a dark unrefined cane sugar like muscovado. You could even try caramelizing your own (but that might be a project best saved for a future batch).

That is a nice recipe, Personally I would up the sugar though to at least .50 pound if not a little more. I make my own inverted candi sugar in many different degrees of darkness, it sure not difficult at all.
You have the nice pilsen base, a little aromati and some special B....lookin good! The munich is optional, but won't make a huge difference.

If I were you I would make my own candi sugar, and I would also harvest some chimay yeast....then you will have the real deal.

I think you could up the Aromatic quite a bit and just drop the Munich entirely (what I'd do). Or keep the Munich too. You could even increase both.

permo, Wyeast 1214 and White Labs WLP500 both are the Chimay strain so he should be good there.

I think you could up the Aromatic quite a bit and just drop the Munich entirely (what I'd do). Or keep the Munich too. You could even increase both.

permo, Wyeast 1214 and White Labs WLP500 both are the Chimay strain so he should be good there.

Pilsen + special B + aromatic + candi sugar + WLP500 = kick arse dubbel

Well, this is my first try, so I think I'll go with it. I'm not brewing it for another week or two, so I may change it.
BY the way, I just had my first Westmalle Dubbel. Wow, that is really good. I've been drinking Chimay for twenty years, but I'm not sure. I think I like the Westmalle better. I just had a Chimay last night, too.

Here is what I brewed. I hit my mash temp (154F) and my OG 1.073. I am optimistic!
My plan is to keep it in the primary for three weeks then bottle it and age for four or more weeks. Do you see any reason to use a secondary or to leave it in the primary longer?
6.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
0.18 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Saaz [6.80 %] (15 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (Wyeast Labs #1214)

Latest posts

Back