American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yoop,

I was thinking of doing this using the Brew in a Bag method. Any suggestions that may stray from normal All Grain methods?

I've never done BIAB, so I'm not sure of the differences. Probably nothing major, and this recipe should work well with any techniques.

Brewed: 6/5/10
Kegged: 7/2/10
Tapped: 7/16/10

In a word, dang Yoop, darn tasty APA. Followed your recipe with the exception of replacing MO with US 2-row. Thanks - I'll definitely brew again to have on hand for when certain people from Michigan migrate to the Southwest in winter to drink home brew!

Trace

Brewed: 6/5/10
Kegged: 7/2/10
Tapped: 7/16/10

In a word, dang Yoop, darn tasty APA. Followed your recipe with the exception of replacing MO with US 2-row. Thanks - I'll definitely brew again to have on hand for when certain people from Michigan migrate to the Southwest in winter to drink home brew!

Trace

I'm glad you liked it as much as we do! Bob just loves it. Right now, I have two kegs from a 10 gallon batch. One I dryhopped with cascade, one I dryhopped with amarillo. They are both good, but a bit different so it's like having two different beers. Bob prefers the amarillo dryhopped one, but not by much!

I have 10G fermenting in the basement ...can't get much below 66 deg, but I am sure it will be a good one. My second batch mashed at 155, but I sparged w/160 ... not sure what diff that will make, if any. OG was 1048

BTW - Had a Dead Guy last night (they just started serving it) and I then found Yooper's recipe .. looks too easy. Don't think I will be able to ferment very low, but I def am looking forward to getting this one kegged and ready by about labor day

I am going to dry hop my 3rd batch batch of this stuff today. So far I have done it with either all Cascade or all Amarillo. Dry hopping with Amarillo sounds interesting.

I have kegged (5 days ago) ...

does this beer have a cloudy appearance ? I did no secondary...

I Vourlaufed twice...not sure what would contibute the cloudiness...I mashed at 157..OG = 1054..the boil was not that vigorous ..

Admittedly, It is only 4 weeks old...taste has improved over the last 3 days..I like it.

comments on haze ?

Bottled my first batch today after three weeks primary-only. FG was right on the money at 1.010, and the leftovers in the bottling bucket tasted great; the Cascades really came through.

I'm glad you liked it as much as we do! Bob just loves it. Right now, I have two kegs from a 10 gallon batch. One I dryhopped with cascade, one I dryhopped with amarillo. They are both good, but a bit different so it's like having two different beers. Bob prefers the amarillo dryhopped one, but not by much!

Gonna have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

Brewed this yesterday, and followed the recipe to the letter (except to adjust the hop schedule since my Cascade pellets were 5% AAU). OG is 1.052 so slightly worse efficiency, but I'm using the DeathBrewer stovetop method. Hit 154 on the nose for the mash. I pitched Wyeast 1332 since my LHBS was out of 1056 and 1272 - always fun to try a new yeast. Love the color/aroma of this - can't wait to get to crack one open!

Brewed this yesterday, and followed the recipe to the letter (except to adjust the hop schedule since my Cascade pellets were 5% AAU). OG is 1.052 so slightly worse efficiency, but I'm using the DeathBrewer stovetop method. Hit 154 on the nose for the mash. I pitched Wyeast 1332 since my LHBS was out of 1056 and 1272 - always fun to try a new yeast. Love the color/aroma of this - can't wait to get to crack one open!

Let us know how it comes out! I really like this beer, and Bob loves it. It's a good everyday drinker.

Looking for a new beer to brew up since my Saison (so-so) just kicked unexpectedly (is there any other kind?)

I thought about doing a SNPA clone, but I remembered Yoop's Haus Pale and thought to myself, "Myself, I really should brew that up instead!" You da man, Myself. You da man.

So, check inventory and schedule and get ready to try it out. I'm bummed that my centennial ended up so cloudy, but excited to brew up a nice Pale Ale!

Any advice on what your favorite incarnation of this recipe is? I have Cascade, ammarillo, Centennial... And some others. No magnum I think. I also don't have Marris Otter, but I do have Golden Promise. Supposed to be a 2-row substitute I thought I'd try.

I brewed up a batch that's in the bottles, but not -quite- ready to sample. Used the recipe as written, Rahr 2-row for the base malt.

You know, I think the original is best. It could be my foggy memory, and making the beer 'better' in my memory, but I still think the original was fantastic. I'm brewing this again this week, I think.

I just asked Tara's fiance' what beer he wants for their housewarming party, and even though he kicked a keg of my best IPA last night with his buddy, he said, "Oh, your pale ale!"

Yooper,
I'm bottling by third batch this weekend. This stuff is awesome, my best beer to date. Just wanted to say thanks. My third batch I used Notty since my lhbs was out of s-05. Hope it keeps the same profile since it did ferment in the lower 70"s. We shall see.

I too am finally getting around to this recipe. My son is turning 21 in November; this is a birthday present. A tough brew day, with a stuck batch sparge and other problems, but came out only a couple of gravity points off. Seems like it'll be a winner! Now all I need is a clever label....

Picked up the grainbill last night from LHBS and am brewing this weekend. Very excited to get this one going. I'm playing around with my hops inventory to get a workable hop schedule and wanted some thoughts on how this would work:

.5 oz Summit 60 mins (28.6 IBU)
.5 oz Centennial 30 mins (10.4 IBU)
.5 oz Amarillo 15 mins (3.9 IBU)
.5 oz Amarillo Flameout
.5 oz Cascade Dry Hop

42.9 IBUs total

too much variety going on, or would this combo work?

Hey Yooper! Is your Munich used in this 10L or 20L? I'm guessing the latter, based upon the color you show. But I think I used 10L. Think that'll affect it much? Just a little lighter, but I haven't used Munich enough to know what the difference in flavor would be.

And I was so hoping to finally do a recipe here as written......:D

Rich

Hey Yooper! Is your Munich used in this 10L or 20L? I'm guessing the latter, based upon the color you show. But I think I used 10L. Think that'll affect it much? Just a little lighter, but I haven't used Munich enough to know what the difference in flavor would be.

And I was so hoping to finally do a recipe here as written......:D

Rich

I've actually used about three different kinds! I think the first time I used Weyermann's Munich, the 10L, since I didn't specify. That's my idea of a "standard" Munich malt.

I've used a darker one as well, and I believe I've used Briess' Munich.

My standard Munich malt is the lighter one, though.

I've actually used about three different kinds! I think the first time I used Weyermann's Munich, the 10L, since I didn't specify. That's my idea of a "standard" Munich malt.

I've used a darker one as well, and I believe I've used Briess' Munich.

My standard Munich malt is the lighter one, though.

Wow, you sure change your avatar a lot! This was a homebrew conference you and your hubby went to, I hope!:mug:

Wow, you sure change your avatar a lot! This was a homebrew conference you and your hubby went to, I hope!:mug:

No, Bob doesn't go to any homebrew conferences. He isn't into brewing at all.

I've gone solo to the NHC twice, and had a great time! I just slapped that picture in my avatar because of some recent posts- one guy thought I was a guy, and one guy said I was a brewing goddess.

I laughed, but wanted to show one brew expert, and then plain old me.

Off-topic. Hey Yoop. I was doing a search day before yesterday for bail return springs for a vintage Zebco Cardinal 4 spinning reel, the Swedish-built ones. I happened upon a Cabelas fishing forum where a person posted with the user name "Yooper". Is that you? If so, do you have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4?:eek:

Off-topic. Hey Yoop. I was doing a search day before yesterday for bail return springs for a vintage Zebco Cardinal 4 spinning reel, the Swedish-built ones. I happened upon a Cabelas fishing forum where a person posted with the user name "Yooper". Is that you? If so, do you have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4?:eek:

Hahaha, no. Unfortunately I do NOT have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4. I have some old Zebcos but I've never been on a forum besides this one. (Don't you think I spend way too much time online as it is? :D)

Hahaha, no. Unfortunately I do NOT have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4. I have some old Zebcos but I've never been on a forum besides this one. (Don't you think I spend way too much time online as it is? :D)

Ha. Thought I'd check. I guess that user name is more common than I thought. And no, you don't spend too much time here. Your posts have helped my brewing out a lot. Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Yooper, brewed this on Thursday and while it is fermenting ok, it isn't as aggressive/active as I would expect. I have a bubble from the airlock every 5 secs or so. Is this a trait of s05? Typically with most other brews they are bubbling away in the first 48 hrs. E.g., I brewed EdWort's hefe yesterday and it's cranking away. Just wondering if I should dehydrate another pack and pitch?

Yooper, brewed this on Thursday and while it is fermenting ok, it isn't as aggressive/active as I would expect. I have a bubble from the airlock every 5 secs or so. Is this a trait of s05? Typically with most other brews they are bubbling away in the first 48 hrs. E.g., I brewed EdWort's hefe yesterday and it's cranking away. Just wondering if I should dehydrate another pack and pitch?

Each fermentation is different, but there isn't anything special in the ingredients that would cause a change. If it's fermenting, I'd leave it alone.

Ok, So I converted the previously attached beersmith file to PM based on my 4 gallon pot and 5 gallon cooler (with an optimistic 60% eff) and this is what it kicked back to me. I'm sure I could fit more into my cooler but my first run with the cooler was something like 50% or lower because I couldn't get my temps right (I am getting a thermapen now). How does what BS came up with look? I think now that I will hopefully be able to get the temps better that I could go heavier on the grains. I would do all grain but I am limited in pot size and stove output.
Code:
4.39 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 48.97 % 
1.49 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 16.62 % 
1.45 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 16.24 % 
0.90 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.04 % 
0.36 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.06 % 
0.36 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.06 % 
1.39 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU 
0.95 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -  
1.04 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.0 IBU 
1.39 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU 
0.70 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU 
0.48 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -  
0.95 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Each fermentation is different, but there isn't anything special in the ingredients that would cause a change. If it's fermenting, I'd leave it alone.

Yooper - not sure if it was answered here, and sorry if it was and I just didn't see it, but you mentioned that you used dried whole hops for your dry hope addition. In that past I used pellet hops for dry hopping and they eventually sunk to the bottom (about 1 week). It doesn't look like these will sink in one week's time. Is this correct? Can't wait to taste it! Thanks again!

This looks like a stellar recipe. I might have to try this next time an APA gets on my to-brew list, but with centennial (my favorite american hop) or a blend of centennial/cascade.

Yooper - not sure if it was answered here, and sorry if it was and I just didn't see it, but you mentioned that you used dried whole hops for your dry hope addition. In that past I used pellet hops for dry hopping and they eventually sunk to the bottom (about 1 week). It doesn't look like these will sink in one week's time. Is this correct? Can't wait to taste it! Thanks again!

You can use either leaf hops or pellet hops. If they don't sink, you can just siphon from between the two layers- the hops on top and the trub on the bottom. I like to start the siphon in the middle of the fermenter, and just lower it as the top level lowers. You can do a really good job siphoning like that.

Okay, first off I totally messed up some things with this recipe.....LHBS bucket and cloth to guide crushed grains was misplaced so I ended up with .5 lb on the floor which was likely the crystal. I added "some" grains to make up for this, a pound if I remember correctly but I'm not sure what the pound consisted of? My way of thinking would make me believe it was Maris Otter. Anyway, I followed directions from that point and hit a 1.071 OG, too high but my LHBS has been giving me 85% efficiency regularly. Anyway, even with all the mess ups this beer is the best I've brewed by far, seems very balanced. Thanks Yooper!

Latest posts

Back