I did a bad thing..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
A friend and I were brewing saturday and while pitching half the yeast an unsanitary object was dropped in to the unfermented beer. What do you think will happen. We are fermenting a hybrid at 55-57 degrees F.

Probably created a sea monster, only time will tell

Although I am concerned with your vague description or "unsanitary object".....You're not supposed to poo in the wort.

I guess it depends on what the "unsanitary" object was. Unsanitized spoon, no problem. Dog chew toy dripping in slobber, you might want to worry.

Thats some good news. It was a knife, not my penis, a dog toy, nor was it crap. I was freaking at the time but later thought, "what the heck, who cares." thanks

You can try pretty hard to intentionally screw up a beer and still fail. Beer Wants to be good. Remember- people were making good beer before we knew what yeast was!

Thats some good news. It was a knife, not my penis, a dog toy, nor was it crap. I was freaking at the time but later thought, "what the heck, who cares." thanks

Did it have a cracked, wooden handle? Does the handle have copper in it (is it copper color)? If so, be worried. There is more bacteria in knife handles than anything in your kitchen besides the can opener. If it was a plastic handle, don't be as worried (as long as there isn't rust).

it had a plastic handle. It was one that was just laying around at my shop, not the cleanest,(my chef's knives are way cleaner) but not filthy. I will give it a smell in a week or so and see. We used ale & lager yeast in this one i'm curious to see how it turns out.

I think the only thing you should worry about is whether your fermenter is plastic, because a knife falling into it could make scratches potentially, that could harbour bacteria and damage future batches

Latest posts

Back