Quick Q: Racked to early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I hate to be the one to ask the old "did I screw up my beer" ....

But Due to things in the family.. (ie busy) I racked a pale: 1.052 OG
I racked then took a reading. It is sitting @ 1.018.
I used notty and I ussally get a 1.010 or something ..

Will it just finish up in the 2nd?

I am not starting a whole: use 2nd's not not to use them. I have done both just fine.

Just wondering if the yeast will clean up...
I was going to crash cool in my beer fridge before kegging .. so I am guessing I need to keep it warmer so the yeast do it thing? Then crash cool?

Thanks you guys.
T

How long was it in the primary? Keep it at fermenting temps till it is done. I should drop to 1.012 or less.

I ferment ales in the primary 14 days. Then you can bottle or keg and know it is finished. You do not need a secondary fermentation vessel at all.

I racked my vanilla Beam porter to the secondary after four days. The SG was down to 1.020 from 1.060( I didn't test it over a few days, as I should have), I wanted to add the Beam-soaked vanilla bean to it in the secondary. It wasn't quite done, as it went to 1.014 in the secondary. It is in the keg, probably a bit green, but it is sooo tasty; I'm really proud, as it was my first porter, third beer!! My point, it isn't ruined, but as the more experienced folks have told you, don't be in a hurry.

I ussaslly do the 10 -14 day in the primary.
and I agree I should have left it alone.

But the question remains: Will it not finish up in the 2nd? I guess time will tell.

I ussaslly do the 10 -14 day in the primary.
and I agree I should have left it alone.

But the question remains: Will it not finish up in the 2nd? I guess time will tell.

Yes, it will finish up in the 2ndary. There is still enough yeast in suspension to consume the wort sugar and knock the FG down to where it should be. You'll be fine. Just give it a little time.

Chad

It is best to NOT use a secondary fermenter for ales. Leave the ale in the primary because you want the yeast cake to clean up by-products of fermentation and there are way more yeast in the primary than you would have in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back