Propane Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71westbrewing

Reaction score
I am looking for all the parts I would need to connect 3 burners to a 1/2 black pipe manifold, and then from the manifold to a propane tank.

I've searched... and searched, and went to Home Depot, and searched, and then to Lowes, and back to Home Depot and every where else. Please, someone help me.

Currently I have 2
Bayou Classic Single Burners,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

that have a 1/8 input, and then one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

which is a larger input, I think 1/4 but not sure.

Is there anyone that might be able to show me what I need or how to build this setup? Part numbers, links, pictures, treasure maps, anything PLEASE!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason you're probably not getting responses is because this is not a straight-forward question to answer. The first and most important question is low or high pressure - or mixed? And then we need to know what orifices the burners currently have because they may have to be changed out. The reason this is important is because of the regulators needed in the setup. And by your post I'm assuming you don't plan to have any automation? So no solenoids, gas controls, etc etc?

The 1/8 and 1/4 really shouldn't matter because you should have orifices in the burners that convert that to 3/8" 45 deg flare which is super easy to adapt using fittings from Lowes or HD. But you're going to need gas connectors which you're not going to be able to source from HD or Lowes if you're running high pressure unless you plan to run hard pipe all the way to the burner which personally I would not do because it gives you no flexibility in burner height.

So his burners already have hoses and regulators attached and just wants to make a manifold with the same fittings as a propane tank valve would have. I was curious about the same thing as I might get another burner and don't want to run 2 tanks. But it sounds complicated I guess

It's not quite that simple because those hoses are integral - they have the orifice, hose and regulator all integrated. You won't be able to use those (if you want to use a black pipe manifold). You'll need new orifices, connectors, and one or more regulators but that depends on the decision to run high or low pressure.

I had the same dilemma.

A forum member helped me and gave some old parts that did the trick.

Bottom line is that you're probably going to have to figure it out the hard way. A POL connector with a regulator, such as an acetylene regulator may be a good start so you can set the manifold pressure. It might need to be adjusted depending on how many burners you're running. This connects to the propane cylinder. Then you need to get some SS braided tubing to connect to the manifold, ideally with a fine adjustment knob. I can take a pic of my setup when I brew next time. Often RV supply stores have a great selection of propane parts to do the trick.

TD

You won't have to figure it out the hard way, I can help you from soup to nuts. But I can't help unless you are able to talk about the low/versus high pressure. That is very important.

I will tell you based on what you have, I'd probably run the 10" low pressure, and one of the 6" low pressure with the other 6" high. The reason is if you run the 10" high you're going to go through propane like nobodies business. You run one of the 6" low because it gives you gentler heating on the mash, and the other 6" for HLT can be high pressure.

Jcaudill, to be completely honest I had no idea about if I wanted high or low pressure. What you suggested doing the 10 and one6 low and the other 6 high makes total sense tho, so I guess I'd go that way.

I guess I should have done more research before getting the burners, but I was looking at all the other single tier setups and figured it was easier than it looked

Thank for everyone's help so far.

It's all good don't worry I will help! I have the same burners so you didn't do anything wrong. You are going to take them out of those stands right?

They're already out of the stands I just need to know what parts to order and where to order them to plumb it up. I'd appreciate the help

Bump... Parts numbers and links, really any info would be awesome. Dying to brew on this thing

Shoot I suck! Well better late than never right?!

Ok so with your burners here is how I'd think about setting it up.

Tank -> 0-30PSI adjustable regulator w/ hose -> Male Flare x 1/2" NPT adapter -> 1/2" Gas Shutoff Valve -> Entrance into 1/2" ID manifold -> Some length of 1/2" black pipe -> 1/2" black pipe reducing tee (reduces to 1/4" FNPT) -> 1/4" hex nipple -> Dual stage low pressure regulator -> Some length of 1/2" black pipe -> 1/2" black pipe tee -> Some length of 1/2" black pipe -> 1/2" black pipe tee or black pipe elbow

At all point the tee is mentioned, that is where you branch off for your burner. The reducing tee (don't worry I'll give you some part numbers) will adapt for the low pressure regulator I'm going to recommend which is 1/4" NPT inlet with a 1/2" NPT outlet. The some length of black pipe sections is in between your burners - the tees would come out somewhere in line the burners. In between the tank and shutoff valve and first burner you'll also have some plumbing for your specific setup. I don't know if you're planning to do a single tier or gravity fed setup or what so you've going to have to adapt these to fit your situation but the principle of what I've suggested stays the same.

Now - based on the burners you have, at the first tee branch before the dual stage low pressure regulator, you'll want a shutoff valve right out of the tee - a 1/2" gas ball valve would be fine. Then you'll need a 1/2" NPT to Male Flare Adapter, a gas connector hose, into the orifice of the burner and one of your 6" burners. Again, I'm recommending the 6" because if you use the 10" on high pressure you are going to go through propane like it went out of style.

The next two tee branches actually are going to be pretty much the same as I described above for the high pressure burner. I'd put the other 6" burner in the middle and the 10" on the far end. The 10" you'll probably use for HLT and the 6" for mash because it heats more gently which is ideal for mash.

So onto some parts that you'll probably need to order:

Regulator, Hose and ACME connector for tank:
http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm - COMRI-30 and the REDACME Inlet fitting (this is important don't get green).

Gas shutoff valves:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4073T13

Reducing tee:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#44605K512

Dual stage low pressure regulator (this is just a link to an ebay search - you should be able to get one around 40-45 shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...fisher+r232+bbf&_nkw=fisher+r232+bbf&_sacat=0

Orifices - you're going to need 2 of the CVO125, and 1 of the CVO250. One CVO125 leave with the standard #61, one ask to be drilled to #42, and ask them to drill the CVO250 to whatever they would drill it for their LPCAST10. Talk to Cheyenne here - he is really knowledgeable.
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/brassfittings.htm

Gas connectors - you'll need to do a little searching here, but I would recommend the Marshall Excelsior hoses. Here's one place to get them:
http://www.rvpartsinc.com/Marshall-Excelsior-LP-Gas-Hoses.html

The MER413-XX are 1/4" ID hoses - I'd get 1/4" ID for your two low pressure burners. The MER613-XX are high pressure and 3/8" ID - use this for the high pressure burner.

All the other parts I think you can source locally - or just order from McMaster (like black pipe, fittings, etc).

This should get you started. The one thing you need to know about this setup is you're always going to be fiddling turning on and off the mash and hlt burners trying to maintain temperatures. Gas controls like the VR8200-A would eliminate this issue but with a little more complexity because you need the valves, pilots, and then some way to control the valves (ie PID controllers or something like Brewtroller). Let me know what questions you have.

You are awesome! Thank you so much, now I just got to wait for all this stuff to come in til I can build it. I really appreciate all the help, this is exactly what I needed.

Jcaudill thank you again. Finally got everything in and went to Lowe's for the rest of the stuff. Now the only question I have is what order I should use for the orifices

Again, big thanks to jcaudill.

he sent me the following PM. Wanted to post it here for those looking for the information.

"Ok I went back and reviewed my suggestion so here is what I was recommending, from closest to the tank to furthest from the tank.

6" burner, with CVO125 that has the #61 orifice. This is your HIGH PRESSURE brew kettle burner.

6" burner, with CVO125 that has the #42 orifice. This is a LOW PRESSURE burner for your mash tun.

10" burner with CVO250. This is a LOW PRESSURE burner for your Hot Liquor Tank.

The way to tell the difference between the two CVO125 orifices is the #42 will be slightly larger than the #61.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,
JP"

Latest posts

Back