Lager pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
If I want to pitch my lager at 52 deg. Can I put my wort in the frig overnight to get it to 52, then aerate and pitch? If I left it in the primary bucket, it would be sealed.

Not sure about that as I'm uncomfortable not getting my yeast in there right away! You could always pitch at a bit higher temp (60-ish). and then do a good diacytel rest.

Absolutely. Just be sanitary. As your working with cooler temperatures with lagers you do have more time. I would also recommend if you are going to do this to cool your wort in your brewing pot o/n then rack into your primary the next day before aerating and pitching. That will maximize the amount of trub that settles out including more cold break material so you will have very clean/clear wort to ferment.

GT

Just my 2$ worth, when I make a lager, I cool it normally, pitch the yeast and leave it at room temp until I see signs of fermentation (usually no more than a day). Then, I will put it in the fridge to cool it down for primary fermentation.

I was told by an experienced lager brewer that you should pitch your yeast at room temperature and wait for it to start fermenting. Then you should take it to the place where it 50 degrees

You can do it both ways but the colder method is what commercial brewers do. For your first lager aerate the wort and pitch 1 1/2 qts starter yeast at room temperature to 70F wort and wait for signs of fermentation and then take it down slowly to 50 to 53F.

Back