White Stripes--why didn't I get the f-ing memo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
These 2 RAWK!!!!!!!

I picked up my first White Stripes disc last week, and immediately fell in love with them.

I had always heard the songs on the radio and was never really impressed, but I finally said screw it and bought Icky Thump anyways. Holy fright, I've been thumping ickily all week. Unbelievable.

That also prompted me to go out and get the previous 2 discs as well. What is so sad to me, is that the songs on the radio don't do this band justice.

Favorite songs on Icky Thump:

Icky Thump
Rag and Bone (FRIGGIN' AWESOME TUNE!!!!!!!)
I'm Slowly Turning into You

Thanks for helping me out and telling me how great these guys were, HBT. Tools. :rolleyes:

Try their older stuff. Seven Nation Army and Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground are probably their best songs (IMO). Ball and Biscuit is awesome too if you like blues rock. I think they have 4 or 5 discs out (maybe more if there are some obscure releases).

There's some live concert footage on youtube - it gives you an appreciation of how good Jack is by seeing outside of the studio.

You have been missing out, one of the most talented groups in recent times. Check out Jack's "new" band, the Racontours, their album Broken Boy Soldier is amazing, like most, you need to give it a few listens through before you will love it, but you will.

Also to check out...

The Black Keys
Lucero
Wolfmother

WhiteStripes Are the **** as are the PACK Go FAVRE!!!!! My Favorite Song is Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground Which is a fun song to play on guitar if you play.
but get behind me satan is a great album to pick up.

John Beere said:
"Get Behind Me Satan" is one of my favorite albums... its experimental but really flows

I should slow down my reading. At first I though you wrote

Get Behind Me Starsan. :D

Dude said:
These 2 RAWK!!!!!!!

I picked up my first White Stripes disc last week, and immediately fell in love with them.

I had always heard the songs on the radio and was never really impressed, but I finally said screw it and bought Icky Thump anyways. Holy fright, I've been thumping ickily all week. Unbelievable.

That also prompted me to go out and get the previous 2 discs as well. What is so sad to me, is that the songs on the radio don't do this band justice.

Favorite songs on Icky Thump:

Icky Thump
Rag and Bone (FRIGGIN' AWESOME TUNE!!!!!!!)
I'm Slowly Turning into You

Thanks for helping me out and telling me how great these guys were, HBT. Tools. :rolleyes:

I kept trying to tell you, f00! :rockin:

SwAMi75 said:
I kept trying to tell you, f00! :rockin:

LOL...Yes, yes you did. I was hoping you'd see this thread, because I definitely need a smack from the dingbat stick right now. ;0

I actually compare it a lot to the QOTSA thing that I've told you many times. The QOTSA songs played on the radio isn't what they are all about. Their best music is the stuff not on the radio.

Regarding the Stripes, that Rag and Bone song cracks me the hell up.

Sorry, Dude, I should have gotten this out to you earlier:

copies to: all HBT members
To: Dude

Date: December 2, 2007

Subject: The Whitestripes

The purpose of this memo is to communicate to Dude that the White Stripes rawk in a big way.

Thank you.

Jack White did a cd with Loretta Lynn in 2004 Van Lear Rose. Pretty good cd for those of us not so much into banging our heads.

Rick

I saw one of their early concerts back in 2002 in Portland. It was miserable--so bad that i stopped listening to them. That is until recently where i've noticed they're more refined and actually have stage presence now.

It's funny how bands change.

rfidd said:
Jack White did a cd with Loretta Lynn in 2004 Van Lear Rose. Pretty good cd for those of us not so much into banging our heads.

Rick
I came in to mention this very thing. It's an outstanding album, and Loretta's and Jack's individual styles work really, really well together.

If you dig the two person blues combo I'd suggest checking out the Black Keys.

Never did I think two white guys from Ohio could lay it down like they do.

heinz57 said:

I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Hey Dude, if you like the White Stripes, check out The Black Keys.

Great minimal blues rock. Very catchy.:rockin:

EDIT: Whoops heinz57 beat me to that!

heinz57 said:

Wow, you aren't kidding.

Thanks for the tip on these guys too, folks.

I just downloaded all of their discs--I'm in love. This is my kind of music.

check out The Soledad Brothers too. I don't think they are really together right now though. I think they are in indefinite side-project mode.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Going to see the Raconteurs on the 28th, cannot wait!

I really wish they'd stop closer to here. TN is just a little too far (and Bonnaroo is too expensive), and man would I love to see them.

Carolina Drama off their latest album is one hell of a song.

I know I'm brand-spanking new to this forum, but I just HAD to second the OP. I feel like I was cheated by not listening to the Stripes earlier. Just picked up Elephant and Icky Thump like 2 months ago, then immediately found some rare stuff and b-sides online, then like 2 weeks later got White Blood Cells and Get behind me Satan. THEN, found a copy of the DVD "Under Blackpool Lights" on ebay.

Dude...they totally blow me away. It's like the good parts of every great band ever all wrapped up in this weird little two-piece sonic explosion.

And, "Jolene"...just wow. I'm from the south, so I've known that song pretty much the entire time I've been breathing, and they give me goose-bumps everytime I hear it.

Back