Wedding Brown - critique needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I gotta brew a Brown for a friends wedding later this year so I'm doing a test batch this weekend. Any thoughts on how this looks?

5gal batch
1.056 OG, 30IBUs, 23 SRM

8lbs Marris Otter
1lb Munich 10L
0.75lb Crystal 60
0.5lb Special B
0.5lb Pale Chocolate

0.5oz Apollo @60
0.5oz Mt Hood @15

Wyeast 1318

Mash @155, ferment @64

That would be good. I really enjoy victory, or even some brown malt in this type of ale. It adds a great toasted and nutty taste.

I think it looks awful. You should still brew it, bottle it, and send it to me for proper disposal. Call it a character-building exercise.

;)

Seriously, I'd drink the hell out of that and love every drop. If I'd change one thing, it'd be to reduce the total of Crystal malts. Special B is some pretty powerful stuff; I think I'd reduce it to 4 ounces instead of 8. But that's about it.

Bob

Ha, thanks Bob. I was considering that, but I do love special B so its a tough request. Never used it in a brown tho, so may take you up on that

Is 155F too high of a mash for the 1318?

Also, its fairly minimal impact, but anyone have thoughts on mt hood vs fuggles for this?

Back