Raisins as Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I could probably post this on the cider forum but I think the same principles apply.

I am going to use raisins as yeast nutrient. I purchased preservative free raisins, as I was informed that the preservatives are yeast killers.

Question: do I boil the raisins first, or do I just pitch it into the cider?

I usually boil 1 cup raisins to 1 cup water untill the water is almost gone and just throw them in before I pitch the yeast... I had to do it for my skeeter pee last month.. Within a day, the yeast had covered every raisin :mug:

I'd also add some ginger in there, that's also good for yeast.

...not that you actually need yeast nutrient as the malt has all the yeast needs (for the first few generations at least).

I read somewhere that wort is missing one important nutrient for yeast and that is iron, I don't think raisins are all that high in iron. doesn't Wyeast make a powdered yeast nutrient, that contains all the important stuff not found in wort?

OvaTersley said:
I read somewhere that wort is missing one important nutrient for yeast and that is iron, I don't think raisins are all that high in iron. doesn't Wyeast make a powdered yeast nutrient, that contains all the important stuff not found in wort?

You really don't need to be adding nutrients, however many companies will love to sell you them.

The only real concern is zinc deficiency, but that's not a concern for the first few generations at least.

Back