Using Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as a guy who used irish moss for his first year of brewing i gotta say i'm much more impressed with Gelatin whne i finally got around to using it.

There really is no wrong way of using gelatin as long as you cold crash.

When I'm doing it, I cold crash for 2 days, remove it from the fridge and add the gelatin. Haven't had any problems doing it that way. But a case can be made of adding the gelatin and then cold crashing.

In any event, cold crashing is a must to get the full effect of the gelatin.

so can I rack my beer with fruit at the same time I rack with gelatin for two weeks and then bottle carb for three weeks?

I've only used gelatin once, and in my opinion, with a good cold/hot break paired with some Irish moss, you don't really need the stuff. Although it adds no flavor, I prefer to make my beers with the most minimal ingredients.

I wouldn't add fruit and gelatin at the same time as the fruit will restart fermentation

so add gelatin to triterciary fermentation?

sorry about third fermentation spelling slaughter.

I've only used gelatin once, and in my opinion, with a good cold/hot break paired with some Irish moss, you don't really need the stuff. Although it adds no flavor, I prefer to make my beers with the most minimal ingredients.

It really depends on the style of beer and the yeast strain you are using. Some combinations will benefit little, others a lot. For instance my bitters with Wyeast 1968 (a flocculating demon) don't get gelatin. My Belgian blonde with Wyeast 1388 (low flocculation) will be getting gelatin.

GT

I've just done the gelatin for the last 1-2 days before bottling. I'll do that whether I'm using just a regular brew, adding fruit/spices to the secondary 2 to 3 weeks before bottling, and/or dry hopping.

Don't worry, your beer will still be able to self carbonate in the bottles after using gelatin, since there is enough residual yeast that won't get pulled out of suspension by the gelatin.

It really depends on the style of beer and the yeast strain you are using. Some combinations will benefit little, others a lot. For instance my bitters with Wyeast 1968 (a flocculating demon) don't get gelatin. My Belgian blonde with Wyeast 1388 (low flocculation) will be getting gelatin.

GT

I don't disagree, but I'm the type of person who makes a Belgian b/c I enjoy the yeast. To each his own I guess.

Got Trub;

Would one want to use gelatin on a stout? Specifically, I've got a Beamish clone coming up, with Wyeast 1968 London ESB. I fear clearing might work against the cascade...?

Back