Belgian Blond Ale SWMBO Slayer - Belgian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so forgive my noob question, but could someone enlighten me as to what is meant by single infusion and batch sparge?

Be sure to read the sticky threads at the top of the "All grain" forum on this site. In fact, I recommend reading all the stickies on all of the forums here. They are all enlightening. Welcome!

This recipe is next on the list. I'm adjusting it a bit for 5.5 post-boil gallons, adding an additional ounce of fuggles for 60 min, boiling for 90 minutes instead of 60, and increasing the grain bill in equal proportions to end up with 14.25 lbs of grain (75% brewhaus efficiency) for an original gravity of 1.070. I'm estimating an SRM of 6.0 and 27 IBU's. I can't wait to get started!

For my second brew I went to the store with the intentions of doing this but ended up with something, eh... different.

Since I'm not fancy enough to do the all grain version yet I tried to do extract version, but the LHBS didn't have any pale malt, so I did:

3# Briess Pilsner DME
4# Briess Bavarian LME.

Then I thought to myself: "Those extracts sound totally wrong and unBelgian." So I got some:

1# DARK Belgian rock candy (only used about .5# after picking out the darkest bits of candy. I wanted to keep it as light as possible. Yes I know. I'm an impulsive buyer. Sue me.)

I also put in 1oz of sweet orange peel.

I steeped 1# flaked wheat, then threw in the 1.2oz of Williamette at boil (1.2 oz because their Williamette had a different alpha acid listed. I imagine they do this so they can charge you more per recipe. Like selling packs of 10 hotdogs and packs of 8 buns.). Then I put the orange peel in for the last 20 minutes. Anyways they didn't have WLP400 so they sold me Wyeast 3844. He said it was "equivalent". Whatever that means. So after a very smooth boil, and chilling the wort pretty quickly in this arctic weather we're having I siphoned the stuff into the fermenter. While cutting open the yeast packet my dog decided to take a few licks outta the bucket. I hear dogs have more sanitary mouths than humans for what that's worth. He also eats poop off the ground so... Yeah. :cross:

I have no idea how this will turn out, but that's the fun. And if it turns out to be crap, the SWMBO WILL drink it because it was her damn idea! Belgian Blondes are her favorite style, well... because she IS a Belgian Blonde :D. If it turns out well I intend to name it "Evil Charlie's Dog Drool". If it's bad I'll call it "SWMBO Slayer" for a different reason than the original :eek:

This recipe is next on the list. I'm adjusting it a bit for 5.5 post-boil gallons, adding an additional ounce of fuggles for 60 min, boiling for 90 minutes instead of 60, and increasing the grain bill in equal proportions to end up with 14.25 lbs of grain (75% brewhaus efficiency) for an original gravity of 1.070. I'm estimating an SRM of 6.0 and 27 IBU's. I can't wait to get started!

Why the extended boil? There's no pils malt so I wouldn't expect a lot of dms and 6 srm is still really light.

Actually I decided to follow more closely to the style guidelines of a true Belgian Blonde and completely changed my recipe. So I guess I'm no longer making the SWMBO Slayer. I am now, however, using pils grain. But even if I weren't using a pils grain I would still do 90 minutes. Why? Because I find it helps make the beer clearer in the end. I also like using more water in the mash/sparge because it seems to help with extraction efficiency.

New recipe:
5.5 gallons, 75% extraction efficiency, 80% yeast attenuation
10.7# Belgian pils
2# Belgian pale wheat
0.5# Caravienne
0.25# Aromatic malt
0.33# Clear candi sugar
1 oz. east kent goldings (5%) 60 min
1 oz. east kent goldings (5%) 30 min
Wyeast 1388 (2-stage step-up starter, pitch 1200mL)

Estimated results:
OG: 1.0701
FG: 1.0140
SRM: 5.4
IBU: 25.42
ABV: 7.34%

Awesome, let us know how it comes out. Using more water definitely increases efficiency.

I just brewed this today.Its been in the fermenter for a little over two hours and there is already signs of fermentation.This is the fastest i have ever seen a beer start up.Cant wait to try it.:mug:

I started with extract and attenuation sucked. My first two all grains I had temp control problems and attenuations sucked. I mashed this one long and low and added a pound of invert sugar. I went from 1.070 to 1.010. Oops.

The 'syrup' going into the fermenter had a slick/silky mouth feel. I was afraid this would end up a bit thick. The hydro sample is a tad thin. Go figure. But summer is coming. I can live with it. Given the hydro sample taste I think I'll brew it again unchanged. Maybe a little higher mash to get some body. If I had Belgian bottles I'd just carb it up more. Haven't decided. IF I can get the wife to drink one little doubt she will be another notch.

Well, my "experiment" that I posted about previously ended up working. It's not SWMBO Slayer, but it's actually pretty good. I actually ended up throwing in 2# of strawberries for 2 weeks in the secondary in order to make it a strawberry blonde. You can't taste strawberries in a draw, but it leaves a lingering strawberry hint after swallowing. I'll post the exact recipe if anyone's interested.

Anyone know a sub for the Caravienne Malt. The one LHBS I was going to go to is out and I wanted to make just one trip.

Anyone know a sub for the Caravienne Malt. The one LHBS I was going to go to is out and I wanted to make just one trip.

A mix of light and dark Crystal might do the trick. Since you need 4 oz of Caravienne for this recipe, maybe 3 oz of Crystal 20, and 1 oz of Crystal 120 just for a little extra caramel kick. It won't be identical, but could work in a pinch, especially since the Caravienne is so low. 20 will give the sweetness, and 120 the caramel/malt.

Caravienne is a crystal malt colored about 22-24°L so crystal 20 is pretty damn close and I don't think it's worth trying to blend two different crystal malts, but if you did I wouldn't use anything as dark as 120. It's not like half 20 half 150 gives you 85, they are largely different flavors. It would be like mixing a light roast coffee and an espresso roast, you don't get medium roast from that.

This brew is pretty much about the yeast flavor isn't it? I bottled some that wouldn't fit in the secondary and tried it young. Nice aroma cold but little flavor, which came out as it warmed up.

Is using a secondary for the beer after 2 weeks still advised? I have had this going in the primary for 16 days now and have read many posts in other parts of the forum that using a secondary is not really needed and can become a problem. This is the first batch of this recipe I have made so I would like to make sure I don't screw it up at thios point.

Is using a secondary for the beer after 2 weeks still advised? I have had this going in the primary for 16 days now and have read many posts in other parts of the forum that using a secondary is not really needed and can become a problem. This is the first batch of this recipe I have made so I would like to make sure I don't screw it up at thios point.

I fermented mine kind of low and the krausen didn't even THINK about falling for week and a half. I'm doing a second batch and I'm going to wait till it looks like it is starting to clear before moving it.

I'm looking to do partial mash version of this beer. I put together these ingredients and was wondering if anyone could comment on whether they think this will produce something close to the all grain version. I would be putting the DWE in at the beginning of the boil and adding the LME just before flameout. Your thoughts are appreciated!

3.33 lb extra light LME
1.00 lb DWE

2.00 lb Wheat Malt
1.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 lb Crystal Malt
0.50 lb Wheat, flaked
0.25 lb Caravienne malt

1.00 oz Williamette Hops

1 Pkgs White Labs WLP400

I made this again a couple of weeks ago. This is mt 3rd all grain batch. This time I got the mash temp right on the money at 154 deg. F. Pre-boil gravity was ~1.04, post-boil was 1.052. I didn't use a Belgian yeast, I had some US-05 on hand so I used that, I measured the gravity after about 2 weeks and it was 1.010. It's clearing in the secondary right now and I plan on bottling it this wekend. I'm looking forward to it in about a month or so. I'll post again to publish the results. Wish me luck!

This will be a completely different beer with US-05. Probably an awesome beer still, but very different.
I'm hoping I'll like it. I screwed up my first batch by mashing it waaay to hot. Well, it was my first all grain attempt after all. The beer still came out drinkable it was just a little on the tangy side I'm guessing due to the yeast. I used WLP410 - White Labs Premium Series Belgian Wit II and because I mashed it too hot the F.G. only went down to 1.020. I have much higher hopes this time.

Making this right now! Its a great Sunday morning here in FL and My wife is excited to try this one. I am about 30 mins into the mash. It is sitting a little warmer, at 158.

Can anyone tell me if I will get alot of off flavors with a ferment at 68-70 rather than at 65?

Mother of all that is holy.

I brewed this back on April 24th, and it's STILL in primary with the airlock bubblin' away every couple of seconds!!!

Mine is slowly chuggin away in the swamp cooler at about 65 degrees. Slow and steady. I can't wait to get the wifey hammered on this and sLAY her!

Ugh, checked the SG after 29 days and it's still 1.020 - and STILL bubbling! (But tasting great!)

I just had a few of these last night from the keg.

All I can say is Hell Yeah!!! Great recipe. SWMBO will not know what hit her!!

Funny you replied today -- This was next on my list to make, but I realized the kit thats been discussed is the AG, and I dont do AG yet... So, I instead went with a sweet stout :( I want to try this -- is it similar to Blue Moon? I saw someone reference that earlier, and kind of scared me off since I'm not a huge fan.

Thank you for this recipe BierMuncher!!! I had a blast learning about hot break from this recipe :), and cracked the first two bottles this weekend, SWMBO promptly put down 3 and was Father's Day was a real treat ;)

I made a lighter version of this recipe recently. I used the exact grain bill, but my efficiency is 70% and batch size is 5.5gal (11gal. actually). The OG turned out at 1.048.

All I can say is wow! It's been hot here and this is a great thirst quencher and session beer. I split my first batch with my brewing buddy but I knew my 5 gal. keg wouldn't last long. So I brewed up another batch for myself. By the end of my brewing session that first keg ran out after only two weeks on tap. Can't wait till this batch is ready to drink.

Thans again for this recipe BierMuncher!!!

Agreed - this is an excellent summer beer, even though it's still a little potent at about 6.5%. A good friend of mine - and an über beersnob - tried this last night, and liked it so much, asked for a batch of it to have at their wedding.

It took fourth this month at the Dayton Ales & Meads competition :)

Agreed - this is an excellent summer beer, even though it's still a little potent at about 6.5%. A good friend of mine - and an über beersnob - tried this last night, and liked it so much, asked for a batch of it to have at their wedding.

Nothing like some award accolades and beersnob conversions to validate good homebrew.

I made this again a couple of weeks ago. This is mt 3rd all grain batch. This time I got the mash temp right on the money at 154 deg. F. Pre-boil gravity was ~1.04, post-boil was 1.052. I didn't use a Belgian yeast, I had some US-05 on hand so I used that, I measured the gravity after about 2 weeks and it was 1.010. It's clearing in the secondary right now and I plan on bottling it this wekend. I'm looking forward to it in about a month or so. I'll post again to publish the results. Wish me luck!

Update - This turned out to be a pretty good beer for my 3rd AG attempt. I'm pleased with the results from using the US-05 yeast, FG at bottling was still at 1.010 not too bad for me . The taste is great, color is excellent, it doesn't have that tangyness from a true Belgian yeast, but I still like it allot, still have just under a case left, great recipe. I'm planning on having a few with dinner tonight. I ended up using about 5 oz of corn sugar for bottling and could have used a little more, it's not under carbed just a little less carb than I would like in a beer of this style. I'll definitely make this again.

I was reading through this and wondering if there had ever been a BM approved Partial Mash Clone of this? I saw several tries but there were either ignored or had suggested modifications. Is the extract posted on the second page the closest thing?

Back