Online Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillPall

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a web-based brewing software suite. I've thought several times about creating one myself. There are many online recipe calculators and such, but none of them have the range of features of BeerSmith or ProMash. While I don't know if it's even possible for me to do it on my own, there's no point in starting if everyone is going to keep using BeerSmith.

It would most likely be a free, ad-supported site. The goal is to include all, if not more, of the features of the popular desktop softwares, but in a platform-independent manner.

So, anyone interested?

Something like Beertools? Their online version has everything the downloadable version does other than a few calculators and amounts of ingredients you can use.

I wish I knew c, I would have done something as well by now. I really like that qbrew is FOSS and has ports for win/mac/lin, but it is lacking in features.

Something like Beertools? Their online version has everything the downloadable version does other than a few calculators and amounts of ingredients you can use.

I didn't know they had a free online version. Yes, something of that type, but with more features than just the calculator. Things like BeerSmith's ability to convert an AG batch to extract, or a hop calculator for changes in age and AA variation.

I wish I knew c, I would have done something as well by now. I really like that qbrew is FOSS and has ports for win/mac/lin, but it is lacking in features.

Well, since my goal is an online application, I will most likely be programming it in PHP with MySQL and some Javascript trickery. If you were thinking of writing a cross-platform desktop application you should try Java. Works on everything, and is very easy to pick up if you aren't already familiar with it.

I didn't know they had a free online version. Yes, something of that type, but with more features than just the calculator. Things like BeerSmith's ability to convert an AG batch to extract, or a hop calculator for changes in age and AA variation.

Well, since my goal is an online application, I will most likely be programming it in PHP with MySQL and some Javascript trickery. If you were thinking of writing a cross-platform desktop application you should try Java. Works on everything, and is very easy to pick up if you aren't already familiar with it.

But java is the devil. I hate it. (not writing, but the actual implementation. I know of no java program that isn't a fat piece of ****.)

But java is the devil. I hate it. (not writing, but the actual implementation. I know of no java program that isn't a fat piece of ****.)

I'm a product of a newer software generation, but I personally love Java. Stupidly easy garbage collection, out-of-the-box cross platform support. At any rate, I won't be writing this in Java.

So, do you think there's a market for this application?

Only if it does everything BTP or Beersmith does, plus more, with even better implementation. It sounds like a tall order to me.

A very tall order indeed. Like I said, I probably won't even start unless I think there will be a market.

I just know that, as a college student, every purchase I make has to be carefully decided on. Even something as small as $20 for some brew software ("I'm brewing just fine now, why pay for something else?"). Personally, I would just love to be able to go to a website and have all the tools I needed, whether I'm brewing at home or at a friend's, for free.

I'm a product of a newer software generation, but I personally love Java. Stupidly easy garbage collection, out-of-the-box cross platform support. At any rate, I won't be writing this in Java.

So, do you think there's a market for this application?

if it's free and has all the tools the platform dependent software does, you'll get people for sure.

All of these calculators can be found for free online, but most of them aren't in the same place. Having them in the same place would be great. I already paid for my BTP, but I still find little things I wish it had.

Well, I've started working on it. When/if it becomes a useful tool I'll update everyone. Thanks for the suggestions and such.

Only if it does everything BTP or Beersmith does, plus more, with even better implementation. It sounds like a tall order to me.

And support. I can ask Beersmith anything at his site and can expect an answer within a reasonable time. If not from Brad himself, then from the many that assist in supporting him and his product, including myself.

And support. I can ask Beersmith anything at his site and can expect an answer within a reasonable time. If not from Brad himself, then from the many that assist in supporting him and his product, including myself.

Support is something that I knew would be very difficult for me. Of course, if it was actually successful I could make it my full time job. At this point I think it will be a learning experience to help me understand more about beer and hopefully something useful will come out of it.

WillPall -

I have had the same thought numerous times now. I still think it's a great idea, but I also think that there is a very good reason that the current selection of online brew recipe software is as limited as it is. Quality web software that looks and feels like it's a native app is far more challenging and time consuming to write than a standalone client app. My full time job is a web developer and I honestly think that replicating all the advanced features of an app like BeerSmith on the web would take a team of 2-3 developers working part time the better part of a year to complete.

Also, I wouldn't even dream of starting such a project until the BeerXML 2.0 standard is complete. http://www.beerxml.com/
Once that is complete all the schema work is done. We would just have to create the same schema in SQL, MySQL, or whatever. Plus, if there is a real modern standard then that would give users the ability to upload their existing recipes into the online database, or download recipes and import them into client apps like BeerSmith.

This is personal preference, but I would only undertake a project of this magnitude using an object oriented language such as C# or Java. Yes I know PHP5 supports classes, but it still isn't a true OO language.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck. I am very curious as to what you will create. If you want a second set eyes or some help feel free to PM me.

Why does beerxml look like a beersmith side project? Beersmith seems pretty sloppy imho.

Edit* didn't see this was an old post.

Back