Blueberry Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For this cider I followed the GRAFF recipe in the cider section. I changed it a bit by not using hops, and subbing 1 gallon apple juice for 1 gallon blueberry juice ($24, stupid expensive for one gallon). I did not want the balance to tart the slight bitter hops add, I wanted the tart of the blueberry to come through.

Here are some pics.

BlueApple_Cider.JPG

This tastes very tart and has a sour character as well. This tart is what you get up front, it is pronounced only to be calmed down by a touch of malt. The finish is blueberry with a hint of apple. This was surprising to me because I only used 1 gallon of blueberry, but at $24 a gallon I am glad it did its job.

looks great!
i have been following you cider work closly
and have been adding malt to my ciders and hav never been happer thanks brandon
i still make cyzers too but i like the low point cider with malt wee hops and a good hef yeast
i never liked the dextros route(hochy) i use honey when makeing an apple wine.

looks great!
i have been following you cider work closly
and have been adding malt to my ciders and hav never been happer thanks brandon
i still make cyzers too but i like the low point cider with malt wee hops and a good hef yeast
i never liked the dextros route(hochy) i use honey when makeing an apple wine.

I know what you mean man, i love the flavor profile of a slightly malted cider.

How does this tart/sour profile compare to say, a Kriek Lambic? I know, 2 different animals, but right now, it's what comes to my mind from your description & I'm curious about it as I happen to have 10lbs of blueberries in the freezer, waiting for me to do something. Regards, GF.

Back