Confirmed my logic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Well I now have done two non sour beers all the way through bottling, with my equipment that has been in contact with Brett and Lacto. Non of these two beers show any sign of an infection or any thing else out of the ordinary. The last stout, was even in the same bucket that I did my Berliner Weisser in. I did not even switch out racking tubing on these beers. The only thing I did different was all equipment got a soak in bleach over night, and a good rinsing after use.

So IMO with good sanitation practices their is no reason to be scared of using these bugs/wild yeast. To further the experiment my last beer I bottled I only used star san, to see if it kills everything. (Which I believe it will). Guess I will find out in a few months.

Maybe im on borrowed time, but for now I will stick to only one set of equipment.

So in ending don't be scared of the wild brews. :mug:

I'd always suspected that good strong sanitation will get rid of bugs. Let us know if you DO develop bugs, so we may taunt you.

I just finished listening to JZ's Flanders Red episode (because my Flanders Red is boiling right now) and the Lambic episode, and in both of them, he makes a good point: there's peddio, lacto and wild yeast on f*cking EVERYTHING. All over your house, all over your brewery, floating around in the air. So you're already exposed to it en masse every day.

I still would dedicate a plastic bucket to infected brews (if you're using plastic buckets) because, like JZ said, that plastic scratches SO easily.

Sweet, that's very comforting. I really want to start in on a oatmeal stout but the only free fermenter last had a Berliner in it. I'll go bleach the hell out of it and report back when the stout comes out smelling like feet.

Sweet, that's very comforting. I really want to start in on a oatmeal stout but the only free fermenter last had a Berliner in it. I'll go bleach the hell out of it and report back when the stout comes out smelling like feet.

Just remember to let it soak for a while, bleach takes a good amount of contact time. Also rinse really really well with hot water.

Oh and the beer with star san only is so far so good.

It just goes to show the n00bs, it's really hard to ruin beer....Especially your first batch. Good Job!

Very true. with good sanitation everyone will be fine. :)

Back