My first taste!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
So, I gave in to temptation and curiosity tonight and took an early sample of my first brew (APA). It's obviously got some maturing to do, but I'm pretty confident it will turn out yummy!

I put up a new mini-post in my blog explaining all the details for those who are interested, but basically, it's a nice color and aroma but the taste is still kinda yeasty.

Hopefully this is normal at this stage in the game and not a sign of infection o_O

www.ShredsHomeBrews.com

Congrats! I wonder how many first brews made it three weeks before trying at least one. I doubt a yeasty flavor means infection probably just got a few of the guys cleaning up after the party.

I actually have my first custom brew in the primary now. Doing a mocha stout. I was kinda figuring the same thing, CatHead, but having forgotten to sanitize the caps before bottling (graphic details about that fiasco are in an earlier blog post), I was a bit concerned.

I follow the sanitize everything in the kitchen on brewday and bottling day mentality including caps, capper, scissors I cut open hops with and everything that a breeze could remove a germ and loft it into my beer mentality. But I read a thread where a couple people were arguing about the merrit of sanitizing bottle caps and at least one said he never sanitized his caps. It will more than likely be OK.

I've heard that before and I've received mixed opinions on using my dishwasher's high temp wash and sanitizing rinse as well. The guy at my brew supply store said he does it with all of his brews and I know the water in there is over 170 (just out of the tap, my water is really hot). My bottles are also well cleaned before they are tossed in the dishwasher.

Back