Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score given the stupidity going on right now

Yeah, shocked me when I heard about the crap going on (I don't watch the news and crap like that :D)... I need to contact the shop I got them from to see if he has any more left. Might pick up another one, or two, to have on hand. Also reached out to a vendor of the uppers to find out what else I need to get, on top of one of their kits. Seems like it includes everything except a stripped lower receiver. :rockin:

Right now, I plan on building up one complete AR. Not sure on barrel length (between 16" and 24") but I'll want a couple of option right from the start. Might go with a more standard (and lower cost) upper for the other receiver. Then, when I can afford it, I might get a different upper configured differently. Great thing about the AR platform is I can change the upper's around or switch out one for another, depending on what I want to do with them. :D

Hopefully the madness will go away and things will return to something resembling sanity soon. IMO, people need to get more twist resilient panties. :eek: :D

Hi all....fellow beer and gun lover here.

Here are a couple of my favorites from the collection.

.45 Wilson Combat Supergrade
6582077869_b40a28ccef_z.jpg

.45 Colt Defender Plus
6582132313_f27164d6e7_o.jpg

Wildey .45 Winchester Magnum
6582117805_d6a34c0977_z.jpg

Smith & Wesson .22
6582097925_ca047b90cb_z.jpg

Scored a couple of AR lowers today (stripped of course) for a pretty good rate. Planning to get one upper soon and build up one. :D

Yeah, my wife is regularly reminding me that I'm supposed to be building her one before I can't anymore. I just don't want to go and fight the crowds as most of the folks running down to the gun shops are the type that don't have a clue how to handle a gun and start lasering folks and wasting everyones' time asking all the great questions like, "which one has more knock down power," "what machine gun should I get the AR or the AK," "how do I remove the magazine (while holding a bolt action with a floor plate)?" and so on and so forth...so, I'll wait and pick one up later.

Scored a couple of AR lowers today (stripped of course) for a pretty good rate. Planning to get one upper soon and build up one. :D

Where did you get these lowers from? I've been looking at a few places (I'm pretty sure all sold out), and we have a group buy feeling right now on NES. I hope that goes through because they're hoping to get lowers for under $100. I'm seeing stripped ones between $135-165ish and some others asking the moon for them.

I have a litttle extra right now, and contemplating on buying one, and then building one. I need to start buying mags now I guess just in case!

sweed said:
Where did you get these lowers from? I've been looking at a few places (I'm pretty sure all sold out), and we have a group buy feeling right now on NES. I hope that goes through because they're hoping to get lowers for under $100. I'm seeing stripped ones between $135-165ish and some others asking the moon for them.

I have a litttle extra right now, and contemplating on buying one, and then building one. I need to start buying mags now I guess just in case!

Good luck finding mags. I've been seeing pmags online selling for a lot of five between $200 and $600.

sweed said:
They don't mix, but I'm sure a lot of us drink beer and shoot guns. Hopefully we do it in the reverse order. But I'm a newer gun owner. I love beer, and I love guns. Lets share our stories. My first is a Ruger sr9c, love it. I moved to NH because of the better gun laws than mass, lol.

If this violates rules of this forum, please delete.

Yeah that's why I would like to move to DE.
My mother got a shotgun and a case of wine Christmas.

Good luck finding mags. I've been seeing pmags online selling for a lot of five between $200 and $600.

Picked up a virtually un-used 20 round mag the same day (and at the same place) I got the two lowers. :D I'll be looking for some more 20-30 (or higher) mags over the next few weeks. While I only need the one, I'd like to have a few more for use.

BTW, the same place I got the two lowers from, is sold out and doesn't have an ETA on getting more. Really glad I grabbed two instead of just one. :D

morticus said:

No joke. My local cabelas and cheaper than dirt were sold out. I hear CTD is asking $60 each for pmags when they do have them. The local shop by my folks place had 8 left, all desert tan and asking $50 each. My friend went to the gun show this weekend and said he couldn't find pmags anywhere. Makes me wish I had bought more when they were $10-12 at the guns shows.

Tex said:
No joke. My local cabelas and cheaper than dirt were sold out. I hear CTD is asking $60 each for pmags when they do have them. The local shop by my folks place had 8 left, all desert tan and asking $50 each. My friend went to the gun show this weekend and said he couldn't find pmags anywhere. Makes me wish I had bought more when they were $10-12 at the guns shows.

Same here!

morticus said:

No ****!! Maybe I should sale a few of mine to fund the .22 conversion kit I want.

Stevo2569 said:
No ****!! Maybe I should sale a few of mine to fund the .22 conversion kit I want.

Just make sure you keep enough for the Zombie Apocalypse!

I don't think I would buy from CTD even if they were $30 and I was in the market. It will be interesting to see how things go for them, first pulling firearms sales and then gauging their customers.

Bensiff said:
I don't think I would buy from CTD even if they were $30 and I was in the market. It will be interesting to see how things go for them, first pulling firearms sales and then gauging their customers.

Yeh! They're .22 conversion kit went up $20 in the last week. Price Gauging F@$@rs!

AR15/M16/M4 mags at $18.70 each, and available. :eek: :D Ordered up three yesterday, along with a pair of 20 round mags... Thinking about ordering some more next week. :D

If you don't have an AR that's also used in the military (like from Colt) then don't order these. They won't work properly in a different make AR15 rifle. They will not lock into the mag well reliably in my DPMS AR15 (maybe 25% of the time they do) and ejecting them is not easy. Unlike the factory mags from DPMS and another set of mags I got at the same time (another make). I have some 30 round PMAG's on order as well as some 20 round pre-ban mags from another person. I want the 20 round since they'll be easier to use on the bench with a rest. At least until I decide about a tripod (or not).

Proud brewer, proud firearm instructor, proud CCW cardholder since 1996, proud to be here.

Although I've only been brewing beer for the last year I have been a hunter and gun owner all my life. My brother, who is a retired police officer and public safety administrator is a huge gun collector and knows just about everything about guns you could think to ask. A few years ago we both developed an interest in the Remington Nylon Rifles and ended up creating a website devoted to them called Nylonrifles.com

I own a Nylon 66, a AR-7 from Charter Arms, Winchester.308 Model 100, an old Westernfield 12 gauge pump shotgun and a Dan Wesson .357

I added a couple pics of my Nylon 66 and you can read more about that gun on our website if interested!

100_0890.jpg

100_0891.jpg

Bensiff said:

Agreed. I plan to spend my money elsewhere from now on.

I have a Nylon 66 also. I actually broke the trigger trying to strip it recently, so I'm taking it to a gunsmith soon. Mine is black. My father bought it in the 1970's while he was in the Army.

I have a Nylon 66 also. I actually broke the trigger trying to strip it recently, so I'm taking it to a gunsmith soon. Mine is black. My father bought it in the 1970's while he was in the Army.

Check out our website. We have directions and videos to help you break it down and put it back together. Its not as hard as it seems. Also you might be able to find the parts you need from someone in the forum there. Good luck

Big bump.

So I just got back from Seattle for my brothers wedding. Great time there, and Whistler, BC for some skiing. My brother and now sister in law got me a few holsters for xmas and bday. I got bladetech industries owb and level 2 holsters. I guess they don't make these for the sr9c, so they custom made them for me. I will have to get back to them on how I like them. But they are awesome, and can't wait to use them, outside my apt. (I work in mass so I can't carry there :( )

ForumRunner_20130208_174441.jpg

ForumRunner_20130208_174531.png

I also have 2 code red lowers on the way, probably another 3-4 weeks I'm guessing, I got in a group buy. Then I get to start building some AR's!

sweed, you get in on the 80% lower buy on NES?? I went for one AR10 and one AR15 and will be having a build party at my place. Also have a couple of synthetic .223/5.56 NATO lowers (looking to sell one). The one that I keep will be built into a pistol. I also, now, have a DPMS AR15 and Remington 870 Super Magnum (12 gauge). Plus all the firearms that were my father's (well, most of them anyway) are at my place now. :rockin: Just looking for a place to take the DPMS AR out to so that I can sight it in. Got a 3-9x scope on it too (plus MagPul BUIS on a 45 degree cant).

sweed, you get in on the 80% lower buy on NES?? I went for one AR10 and one AR15 and will be having a build party at my place. Also have a couple of synthetic .223/5.56 NATO lowers (looking to sell one). The one that I keep will be built into a pistol. I also, now, have a DPMS AR15 and Remington 870 Super Magnum (12 gauge). Plus all the firearms that were my father's (well, most of them anyway) are at my place now. :rockin: Just looking for a place to take the DPMS AR out to so that I can sight it in. Got a 3-9x scope on it too (plus MagPul BUIS on a 45 degree cant).

No, just the code red group buy. Once my crap with the ex is over (and she finally pays up) I'll be able to start buying some more parts. I'm guessing in 2-3 months? When is your build party? I saw that thread, but didn't want to get in until I knew exactly when I knew I would be able to start buying to build.
If you need a place to sight in (not sure how far you need?) You can be a guest with me, once all this snow melts.... Could be years, lol.
You got my #.

Okay guys, gonna get a pump 12 gauge for ducks and putting a **** ton of rounds through busting clays. This thing is basically gonna be a banger, something that's completely reliable, but that I don't get all broken about if it gets a scratch. Narrowing it down to either the old standard Remington 870 Express, probably the super magnum, or the Benelli Nova. Thoughts?

Okay guys, gonna get a pump 12 gauge for ducks and putting a **** ton of rounds through busting clays. This thing is basically gonna be a banger, something that's completely reliable, but that I don't get all broken about if it gets a scratch. Narrowing it down to either the old standard Remington 870 Express, probably the super magnum, or the Benelli Nova. Thoughts?

870 is a tank, no arguing that. But I prefer the feel of the Nova. Friend has one I've shot a few times, feels so much better in your hands and points much better than the 870.

Try to find a used 870 Police Magnum, usually has cosmetic damage so you don't freak over a scratch plus the magnum receivers are great on those. They are built to be abused.

I love my nylon 66's....my dad passed a few my way over the years. One thing I learned (about 30 years ago) is to never take them completely apart unless you want to cuss a little bit.
Nylons are not easy to re-assemble.....but they are reliable.

Mossberg 500-series is worthy of consideration too.

I have a Mossberg 500 set up with a rifled barrel for deer and an 870 Wingmaster for bird and skeet. I love both of them. I recently purchased a side by side Miroku 500 though, so I'm probably going to sell the 870 in the near future.

870 is a tank, no arguing that. But I prefer the feel of the Nova. Friend has one I've shot a few times, feels so much better in your hands and points much better than the 870.

Yeah, the Nova had a nice feel to it, better fit probably than the 870. It is a tremendously ugly gun but that isn't what matter.

Try to find a used 870 Police Magnum, usually has cosmetic damage so you don't freak over a scratch plus the magnum receivers are great on those. They are built to be abused.

That's a thought too. I'd love to find an old police or guard issue Model 12, but they cost a bit now a days. Plus I'd if I found one I'd be heart broken of anything happened to it.

Well, you gotta be happy with what you get, but it seems to be (or has been) a pretty popular and well-respected arm for the military and police.

Buy what fits you and look at used autoloaders too.

Look @ the Super Nova. It's a 3 1/2 inch version of the Nova. It's a little better made than the Nova.

Buy what fits you and look at used autoloaders too.

Look @ the Super Nova. It's a 3 1/2 inch version of the Nova. It's a little better made than the Nova.

Checked that out the other day too. Actually I'll go with that over the Nova, want the 3 1/2 for ducks.

3 1/2 for duck? Not necessary!

I've hunted my entire life with a 2 3/4" Winchester Model 1912, and it's plenty good at killing duck. And geese, for that matter.

Don't let that dissuade you with you really want a Super Nova, but don't sell yourself up just because you think you need the longer chamber for waterfowl.

:mug:

3 1/2 for duck? Not necessary!

I've hunted my entire life with a 2 3/4" Winchester Model 1912, and it's plenty good at killing duck. And geese, for that matter.

Don't let that dissuade you with you really want a Super Nova, but don't sell yourself up just because you think you need the longer chamber for waterfowl.

:mug:

California steel shot only, want to make sure to get enough out there. That's really the only thought on it.

Back