Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Yooper, that may be it. Do you know the degrees Lovibond of Briess Black Barley? I didn't see it on their website.

The Breiss description of their "black barley": Black Barley is a deep brown colored malt with a coffee flavor, that is dry and intensely bitter.

roasted barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_RoastedBarley.pdf

black barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_BlackBarley.pdf

they both say the same thing for general flavor on the pdf info pages. the only thing that is different is black barley is 500 lovibond and roasted is 300 lovibond.
just wanted to share my research :)

Brewed this yesterday. Other than oversparging by 2 pts, I nailed my numbers. Used 1.5qts/lb mash, so hopefully this comes out pretty good. It's chugging happily alongside my Celebration Ale clone.

roasted barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_RoastedBarley.pdf

black barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_BlackBarley.pdf

they both say the same thing for general flavor on the pdf info pages. the only thing that is different is black barley is 500 lovibond and roasted is 300 lovibond.
just wanted to share my research :)

That's really interesting. Another website said that Briess Black Barley was malted. I guess I'll just sub some roasted barley for the black barley.

Brewed a version of this on Friday (subbed Fuggles/Goldings for Willamette, used British Ale 1098 b/c couldn't find the British Ale II).

Brewday went excellent. Made a 4 gallon batch. Hit numbers great. Aerated like normal, pitched yeast, and....bubbles within about 3 hours. That is very weird for me. Usually takes my beers about 18-24 hours to start fermentation. So I was excited.

After 12 hours (the next morning), I had crazy bubbles. Like 1-2 per second crazy bubbling fermentation. It was in my usual fermentation room, the ambient temps at 65 (stopped using my swamp cooler around October).

Nothing out of the ordinary in my brewing/sanitizing/fermentation process, but the fermentation (1) started faster than any other beer I've ever brewed (2) went more vigorously than any other beer I've ever done, and (3) is seemingly done/winding down now, 72 hours later (bubble every 30 seconds or so), making it the fastest fermenting brew I've ever done. Is anyone else getting a really fast and vigorous fermentation with this brew?

I don't make many porters/stouts (this is my 2nd, and my first AG stout -- made about 15 batches overall), so I'm just curious if this is a common thing with this type of beer.

I open my bucket today, really smells good. Im going to reset it back tomorrow.

Ok after a couple days at 30#s, I tried one last night, really good beer. It has a full wet mouth to it, dark chocolate aroma, oatmeal (just the right amount),some bitterness and very smooth. It is a beer that I could drink all the time and really did want to put it down last night. Glad I set this back. :)

I brewed this a few weeks ago, been on tap for a week or two. I really f'd up and tightened my mill to get better efficiency. When i looked at my grains they resembled flour more than husks. Between my stupidity and the oats making things sticky I literally had to put a paint strainer on the output of my mash tun and have my GF milk it while i stirred the mash just to get anything out. Took about 2.5 hours.

Well worth it tho, cheers for a good beer! I added cocoa nibs to the boil, which gave it the wrong type of chocolate taste i was going for, but still delicious.

Brewed this about 8 weeks ago and kegged it about 4 weeks ago. In the meantime, my kegerator broke and I have no way to drink it besides bottling it. Do you think there will be any negative effects if I do t tap the keg for another month? Or should I just bottle it and start drinking it? It is carbed so I could just bottle and start drinking right away I just am too lazy to get to bottling it but will if it is necessary!

Going to check the SG on this tonight. I used wyeast 1318 London Ale III. I'm a bit concerned cause it only had a krausen and showed activity the first 2 days then all airlock activity stopped and krausen fell. It was 62 so i brought the temp up a bit the last few days and stirred the yeast gently back into action. Of course maybe they ate all the sugars and are taking a nap as they should be. I won't know until I take a gravity reading. If they gave up on the job too early them I'm pitching a pack of Nottingham into the carboy.

Going to check the SG on this tonight. I used wyeast 1318 London Ale III. I'm a bit concerned cause it only had a krausen and showed activity the first 2 days then all airlock activity stopped and krausen fell. It was 62 so i brought the temp up a bit the last few days and stirred the yeast gently back into action. Of course maybe they ate all the sugars and are taking a nap as they should be. I won't know until I take a gravity reading. If they gave up on the job too early them I'm pitching a pack of Nottingham into the carboy.

I had no krausen.

+1 On the no krausen. I was worried but i tasted a sample after 3 weeks and it is delightful .. 1.054. Down to 1.016

Yeah my krausen was minimal on my batch too. I was almost worried about it... but i knew it was working. I also had a SUPPER clean transfer out into the carboys.

i brewed a PM version of this two weeks ago and the sample i just took has a gravity of 1.020. This is kind of high, so i'm wondering if i should stir up the yeast on the bottom of the carboy a bit to see if i can get it a bit lower. Also i used S-04 yeast instead, so could this be the reason for lower attenuation? Tastes great though!

Here's the recipe:
2 lbs maris otter
18 oz flaked oats
12 oz victory malt
10 oz pale chocolate malt
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
3.75 lbs pilsen light DME
1 oz willamette @ 60 min
1 oz willamette @ 45 min

S-04 yeast

mashed at 154 F
OG was 1.054
fermented at 64-66, let rise to 68-70 after 1 week

i brewed a PM version of this two weeks ago and the sample i just took has a gravity of 1.020. This is kind of high, so i'm wondering if i should stir up the yeast on the bottom of the carboy a bit to see if i can get it a bit lower. Also i used S-04 yeast instead, so could this be the reason for lower attenuation? Tastes great though!

Here's the recipe:
2 lbs maris otter
18 oz flaked oats
12 oz victory malt
10 oz pale chocolate malt
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
3.75 lbs pilsen light DME
1 oz willamette @ 60 min
1 oz willamette @ 45 min

S-04 yeast

mashed at 154 F
OG was 1.054
fermented at 64-66, let rise to 68-70 after 1 week

That looks almost exactly how mine went i bet it will be awesome! :rockin:
You might taste it and see if it tastes too sweet or if it is ok. I stirred mine up a bit and warmed up to 70 and it dropped from .018 to .016 I plan to rack to keg this weekend :)

If I wanted a bit more of a roasty character to this brew, would it be as simple as just increasing the roasted barley by 2 oz. or so or would other parameters need to be changed? I brew a lot but don't know anything about recipe creation and what each grain imparts.

That looks almost exactly how mine went i bet it will be awesome! :rockin:
You might taste it and see if it tastes too sweet or if it is ok. I stirred mine up a bit and warmed up to 70 and it dropped from .018 to .016 I plan to rack to keg this weekend :)

great! it tasted fine a week ago at 1.020, not too sweet for me. i ended up swirling the yeast up a bit and warming to 70 but haven't taken another gravity reading. ill take one next week when i bottle, hopefully it drops a couple points.

I dropped a VBean in the second batch today. Going to let it set until a couple days from Christmas.

I think I may brew this over my Christmas break. I happen to have all of the ingredients except for some victory malt, which I can easily pick up locally. I believe I'll use about half the alkalinity, though.

If I wanted a bit more of a roasty character to this brew, would it be as simple as just increasing the roasted barley by 2 oz. or so or would other parameters need to be changed? I brew a lot but don't know anything about recipe creation and what each grain imparts.

I honestly don't know, as I rarely use roasted barley and don't know how much adding it would increase the "roasty" flavors at all.

Is it just the roasted barley that adds that roaster character or a combination of the chocolate malts and roasted barley (and others?)? I am willing to experiment a little as I can't imaging 2 oz more really affecting it too much.

Is it just the roasted barley that adds that roaster character or a combination of the chocolate malts and roasted barley (and others?)? I am willing to experiment a little as I can't imaging 2 oz more really affecting it too much.

I don't use roasted barley in this stout- I use black barley, so I just simply don't know!

Hello!

I kegged this last week (after a 3 week primary) and let it condition at 68 (under pressure)in the keg for a week before chilling and carbonating.

It has been in the fridge for 3 days and it tastes and smells great but after a pint the back of my throat is dry.. weird.. Could it be astringency that is doing this?

I hit all of the numbers, used 5.2ph, didn't oversparge, and followed the recipe exactly. Do you think that maybe it just needs a little more time to condition?

Hello!

I kegged this last week (after a 3 week primary) and let it condition at 68 (under pressure)in the keg for a week before chilling and carbonating.

It has been in the fridge for 3 days and it tastes and smells great but after a pint the back of my throat is dry.. weird.. Could it be astringency that is doing this?

I hit all of the numbers, used 5.2ph, didn't oversparge, and followed the recipe exactly. Do you think that maybe it just needs a little more time to condition?

Maybe. Or it could be the 5.2 buffer stuff. It's hard to guess, without knowing the water chemistry and mash pH.

Thanks for the quick response.

Is this what tannins / astringency would taste like? Its weird. the taste of the beer is phenomenal, but it dries the very back of my throat after a pint.

Also, I checked the ph during the mash / sparge and it was was good. For water, I use bottled spring water from the local supermarket. I will be getting into water chemistry soon, but i have been lazy about it because all of my beers in the last 6 months have turned out great.

Anyway, I am going to let it chill in the kegerator and will try it next week.

InityBrew,
Do you mean dry like been in the desert for a week, burning dry? Or rather a 'tongue puckering'? I've had a tongue puckering dryness on the back of my tongue with a couple beers after flash-carbonating (30psi for a couple days) in the kegerator. This disappears after the brew has reached the desired carbonation, however. I also use bottled spring water with no other additives and have zero complaints on this recipe.

Dyholm,
I've adjusted my grain bill on this base recipe by .1 lbs (about 1.6oz) with no apparent difference in flavor, but it depends on the grain. Something unintrusive like Crystal 60 is a different story than the potentially-overpowering Black Barley. When I think roasty flavor, the first thing that comes to mind is Black Patent. If I were going more coffee-like I'd use Black Barley. In both cases I'd use a quarter-pound as a starting point, perhaps backing off the Victory to reduce 'burnt biscuit' potential.
Of course, I've never actually constructed my own recipe and only alter those published by others, and may well be talking out my wazoo.

Damn this beer if good. Kyle

Brewed a version of this on Friday (subbed Fuggles/Goldings for Willamette, used British Ale 1098 b/c couldn't find the British Ale II).

Brewday went excellent. Made a 4 gallon batch. Hit numbers great. Aerated like normal, pitched yeast, and....bubbles within about 3 hours. That is very weird for me. Usually takes my beers about 18-24 hours to start fermentation. So I was excited.

After 12 hours (the next morning), I had crazy bubbles. Like 1-2 per second crazy bubbling fermentation. It was in my usual fermentation room, the ambient temps at 65 (stopped using my swamp cooler around October).

Nothing out of the ordinary in my brewing/sanitizing/fermentation process, but the fermentation (1) started faster than any other beer I've ever brewed (2) went more vigorously than any other beer I've ever done, and (3) is seemingly done/winding down now, 72 hours later (bubble every 30 seconds or so), making it the fastest fermenting brew I've ever done. Is anyone else getting a really fast and vigorous fermentation with this brew?

I don't make many porters/stouts (this is my 2nd, and my first AG stout -- made about 15 batches overall), so I'm just curious if this is a common thing with this type of beer.

Update - I bottled this puppy today. Smelled and looked great. Tasted a sample and it was fantastic.

FG was 1.020. I tried swirling the carboy after the first few days of rapid fermentation + raising the temp. But apparently it was done and I couldn't squeeze any more points out of it. Not too worried, but what does it mean for the brew, aside from losing a few ABV % points??

Update - I bottled this puppy today. Smelled and looked great. Tasted a sample and it was fantastic.

FG was 1.020. I tried swirling the carboy after the first few days of rapid fermentation + raising the temp. But apparently it was done and I couldn't squeeze any more points out of it. Not too worried, but what does it mean for the brew, aside from losing a few ABV % points??

The higher FG will make it a bit thicker (more body). Depending on the reason for the higher FG it may or may not result in a sweeter beer. If the yeast crapped out with fermentable/shorter chain sugars in solution then the beer could be sweeter than designed.

It may just be a little sweeter, but not by much. I also don't think that a sweeter stout is a bad thing. I wouldn't worry as it isn't that high off the mark anyway.

The same thing happened to me (FG 1.020). I swirled the carboy and let it sit for another week and I think I may have gotten another gp down to 1.019, but it was pretty close. Ended up being 4.6%. I bottled it yesterday and it tasted great so I'm not worried. If it tastes good don't worry about it. Its supposed to be a little sweet right??:mug:

Finally got my keezer built and have 5 gallons on co2 and another 5 in a stout tap with nitro....delicious! Oh, both were aged in a whiskey barrel which I suggest anyone try....

ForumRunner_20121218_172207.png

Well I'm pleased to report that this was a huge success. This is going to be on the re-brew list for sure. Love the way it turned out with the wyeast 1318 absolutely killer beer :)

ForumRunner_20121222_160456.jpg

Well I'm pleased to report that this was a huge success. This is going to be on the re-brew list for sure. Love the way it turned out with the wyeast 1318 absolutely killer beer :)

I like it so much that I re-set it back on the cake too and might do it again.

That's a gorgeous keezer and room! Well, except for the "Blue Devils" junk on it, I mean.

I love the photo!

I thought Yooper was flawless and then I get a bluedevils bashing....HA

I love the keezer and all the extra room...I forgot to label all the brews but they are all this recipe and barrel aged.

Merry Christmas

I know it's not traditional for this style, but do you think it would be acceptable to bitter this beer with a small amount of nugget instead?

Back