coffee beans at bottling..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
So here's the deal.

I am in the battle of the Homebrew comp for our city's beer week and for the second round I needed to brew a beer with coffee in it that was not a stout or Porter.

So I brewed a rogue deadguy-ish type ale and added cold steeped coffee at flame out. The beer has been in the keg for 1.5 months and has since lost its coffee aroma, but still tastes great.

Here is my plan....

I am going to bottle from the keg tomorrow night (Thurs) and was thinking of adding a few coffee beans directly to some of the bottles. This beer will be consumed on Sunday so that means that it will only sit in the beans for 3 days max.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or could this possibly ruin a good beer?

Any input would be great.

Thanks

no idea. If you had some cold brewed coffee, you could add some to each bottle, and put the beer in on top of that to add some extra coffee flavor.

Unfortunately I can't . I was going to cold.brew tonight, but the beans I have are all dried out and no good. I am going to pick up some fresh coffee beans tomorrow and give it a shot I guess.

I guess I could try it with half of the batch so that it is not a total loss if it imparts bad flavors

Did you end up putting beans into the bottle? How did it turn out? Was there a reduction in extraction due to the beans being whole?

It actually turned out great!...the beans sank by day 3 and we started drinking right then. Had better aroma/ taste than the bottles that were not beaned..

We finished all of the bottles by day 7... Note: it was Cold conditioned for 1 month and then bottled from a keg with a beer gun.

I think after a 2-3 weeks you might pick up some astringent flavors from the beans.

Definitely worth it if you plan to drink within the week or two

Back