Citrus IPA Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTaps

Reaction score
Brewing an all grain citrus ipa tomm And im going with the DFH 60 min approach. i want this to be hop heaven and very citrusy!

Hops- 1 oz Simcoe Whole leaf (1/2 boil, 1/2 dry)
1 oz Warrior pellets (all boil)
2 oz Citra pellets (1/2 boil, 1/2 dry)
1/2 oz Northern Brewer Crystal (all boil)

Crystal hops were not part of the recipe but i have them lying around, so in they go. Im just looking for some feed back on what to expect and if i should dial back the amounts, or eliminate anything all together. I will be dry hopping the simcoe and citra in muslin bags during the secondary fermentation. Also wondering if i could add anything with citrus flavor (fruit, juice, etc) to the strike water or secondary. Any feedback is greatly apreciated!

BREW ON

Here is my Organic Orange IPA. The balance was wonderful!

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 84.6 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6 7.7 %
1.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 7 50.0 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 11 -
2.00 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Looks delicious i will give this i try...im thinking that orange peel will be a nice addition, maybe some lemon zest too

If you are looking for big aroma, i'd go with 3-4 oz of citrusy hops in the 15-0 minute range and 3+oz of dry hop.

Also, if possible, keep the fermentation temp in the low 60's to bring the citrus to the forefront.

You need centennial or even cascade in there instead of the other hops. I agree with yooper, citra is tropical...think mangos.

I've been doing a Chinook pale ale for awhile now, with the juice and zest of 3 limes added at flameout. It's not noticeable enough to be a fruit beer, but it really kicks up the citrus flavor from the Chinook. It's my favorite recipe!

I would put cascade and centennial in the grapefruity end of citrus. On the other hand I find citra to be tropical fruit and sweet citrusy. If you have some of centennial (maybe an ounce during late boil) and dry hop with citra with or without centennial, I think you will have a nice combination, especially with the orange peel. I would go a minimum of 2oz in the dry hop. In fact, I just made both an APA and an imperial IPA with those two hops (and a bit of simcoe early).

I think the best citrusy hop is amarillo. If you can find some, a combo of simcoe and amarillo will scream grapefruit juice (in a good way!). Amarillo may be tough to find right now, so cascade is a good second choice.

Back